My Impression On: Parasyte -the maxim- (Anime) (Spoiler Free)

Definitely one of the best anime I've ever watched. There are so many things that this story telling does right. Although at first sight you might perceive that the plot is very cliché, one must consider that this is based on the manga from the late 80 and thus, this kind of plots were not that popular at that time, and hell, the character development and the existential themes that touches upon are definitely worth watching.

What I liked
  • It is very faithful adaptation of the manga.
  • The general existential and philosophical questions that comes from the story are one of the strongest points of the anime, and at the end you can see that message that comes from it is very powerful.
  • The character development is fantastic, and although it has very few cheesy moments with the drama exposure of some characters, all of them are justified with the existential themes that surrounds the story.
  • The narrative of the anime explains everything by itself and never leaves you unsatisfied with unanswered questions, and when it gives you an answer it does with scientific accuracy.
  • The story is a constant flow of twists, touching and intense moments that always keeps you in the edge of the couch.

What I disliked
  • In the narrative arch, the exposition that comes before the rising action and the climax, feels very weak, this is maybe because the story follows a classic narrative style, but even if that's the case you can see that those episodes does not feel as strong as they should be if we consider that the spectator is used to a constant flow of twists and intense moments.
  • Although all the character drama exposure are very well justified by the existential themes of the story, few of those scenes and their concepts are extremely cheesy and some of them even unnecessary.

This is easily one of those anime I would recommend to anyone that likes deep themes in a story with an intense narrative, whether they come in form of anime or not. It is clever, with some spirit and it is one of those "once watched, never forgotten" stories. I watched the whole anime in three days. JohnNamikaze for recommend it to me.

My rating: 9/10
Aside from the art change, everything about this anime is spot-on.

Pretty solid as a Manga, and a very faithful anime adaptation. Would also recommend.
I need more purple titles

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info