My Impression On: Attack on Titan (Anime) (Spoiler Free)

What an epic anime!

The plot is so original yet simplistic, I thought I heard it somewhere else. It turned out I haven't. At certain points I felt the anime had that Evangelion essence.

What I like
  • The pace is simply perfect, and this is what I like the most about the anime; probably the best thing about it. Everything progress within a perfect tempo. I never felt bored at any time because I was watching useless content in the story progression or because the narrative was focusing too much on a character's drama (as most of the anime out there does, iugh).
  • It has the perfect portion of drama, action, character development, plot twists, etc. Every scene is there for a reason. The structure of the episodes is so well organized, even the episodes titles and the lore facts between scenes.
  • It hooks you. You can't blink an eye. Every dialog is so valuable, every epic scene is so intense...
  • The plot itself can be used as an analogy of certain aspects of the society.

What I dislike
  • Sometimes I had the feeling the animation were not so good or smooth enough.
  • Waiting for a 2nd season is an agony.

My rating: 9/10
Last edited by Samkiud on Jun 8, 2015, 12:30:42 PM
I remember getting hooked on it and bssically devoting a whole weekend to watching it on Netflix. I also remember being pretty disappointed about the ending.

But for some strange reason I cannot remember what actually happened (past maybe the 7th episode or so). if there is another season I'll probably have to rewatch.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 4, 2015, 6:47:51 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I remember getting hooked on it and bssically devoting a whole weekend to watching it on Netflix. I also remember being pretty disappointed about the ending.

But for some strange reason I cannot remember what actually happened (past maybe the 7th episode or so). if there is another season I'll probably have to rewatch.

Thing is it hasn't ended.
Well if another season is confirmed then that's pretty hype.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Well if another season is confirmed then that's pretty hype.

Yea, you can clearly see at the end of the 1st season that hasn't ended. They are making a live action film too, expected to be released on September.
We must have watched two different shows, or have completely opposite tastes, because for me it's actually quite the contrary to what you felt about the show.

Attack on Titan has an amazing animation, but it also has too much exposition, characters thinking for 5-10 minutes, repeating the same themes, especially the things we were shown visually, making the auditive recap extremely boring and obnoxious.

When you consider that one episode last ~23minutes, out of which 5-6 minutes are opening and closing sequence, you are down to ~ 17 mins. You than have characters recaping what happened, 5-10 (!) minutes still shots of characters having inner turmoil which most of the time just defaults to treading water and repeating things we were already presented or trying to create a dramatic choice, when the audience knows which decision will be made. In the end, you are left with maybe 10-12 minutes of new material per episode, making each episode feel like nothing happens.

I binge watched the first season, and felt that nothing was happening in the span of less that 3-4 episodes. I can't imagine waiting for new episode for a week, and then seeing so little of substantial material.

I will admit that the beginning of AoTT was marvelous, it felt so fresh and exciting. But then you quickly realise the series goes too much into a habit of killing of supporting characters and just overindulges in unnecessary exposition. And the drama, oh the drama. Characters yelling for 4 minutes with the unmoving background, just standing there and trying their hardest to present their feelings to the viewer, instead of trying to present the same thing visually or through clever use of symbols. It felt oh so boring at times.

The opening theme is amazing though.

„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
Last edited by Odoakar on Apr 4, 2015, 1:08:54 PM
"
Odoakar wrote:
We must have watched two different shows, or have completely opposite tastes, because for me it's actually quite the contrary to what you felt about the show.

Attack on Titan has an amazing animation, but it also has too much exposition, characters thinking for 5-10 minutes, repeating the same themes, especially the things we were shown visually, making the auditive recap extremely boring and obnoxious.

When you consider that one episode last ~23minutes, out of which 5-6 minutes are opening and closing sequence, you are down to ~ 17 mins. You than have characters recaping what happened, 5-10 (!) minutes still shots of characters having inner turmoil which most of the time just defaults to treading water and repeating things we were already presented or trying to create a dramatic choice, when the audience knows which decision will be made. In the end, you are left with maybe 10-12 minutes of new material per episode, making each episode feel like nothing happens.

I binge watched the first season, and felt that nothing was happening in the span of less that 3-4 episodes. I can't imagine waiting for new episode for a week, and then seeing so little of substantial material.

I will admit that the beginning of AoTT was marvelous, it felt so fresh and exciting. But then you quickly realise the series goes too much into a habit of killing of supporting characters and just overindulges in unnecessary exposition. And the drama, oh the drama. Characters yelling for 4 minutes with the unmoving background, just standing there and trying their hardest to present their feelings to the viewer, instead of trying to present the same thing visually or through clever use of symbols. It felt oh so boring at times.

The opening theme is amazing though.

Interesting. What you're describing is exactly what I always avoid in anime, and I didn't found this in Attack on Titans. It has exposure, yes, but I think it has the proper portion of it; contrary to anime like Naruto, Dragon Ball Z... oh dear, that's overloaded drama and exposure. And what I dislike the most was precisely the animation, it was kind of static, not fluent or smooth enough. Overall, I really enjoyed a lot, although Action is not precisely the genre I look for in anime.
Last edited by Samkiud on Apr 4, 2015, 1:41:24 PM
Dragonball Z is not a valid comparison for anything even remotely good. To even mention it is as gauche as comparing a fighting competition to WWE.
People loves the anime cos the suits but imo was poorly animated, i prefer read the manga the story is miles ahead and the good thing not CENSORED stuff.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info