Exactly why does hardcore exist?

"
austinrelis wrote:
Before you flame me: I completely understand the appeal and demand for a permadeath league.

The thing that contradicts this for me, however, is that you will see like 90%+ of HC players alt f4 in the face of certain death.

All I can see HC offering at that point is...the feeling of being "better" than softcore players and a consistently new economy.

And no i'm not an established player with 27 million exalts and 48 sets of mirrored gear, simply questioning.

Congrats for creating the 100000th post on this subject. If you are a new player most deaths are instant. Instant death means no time for altF4. AltF4 can be used only from experienced players. All the others just think they can do it and survive until the 90s but in truth they can't.
It will help them a bit if it's macroed yes. They will still die though and then proceed to shed tears in the forums:P
I'm not trying to be an elitist here mind you. I mostly play softcore after all (usually RIP around 85s in HC). That doesn't mean I will not comment on people trying to belittle the HC players. They are just better. Deal with it.
Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.

Aristotle
Because it must
I dont see any any key!
I use alt-f4 to get out of sure death desynch situations. The only times that you die in poe is to burst dmg if you are playing carefully anyways.
But really though, people can play how they want and you shouldn't let it bother you, op. Its a video game.
"
Iluvatar_gr wrote:
"
austinrelis wrote:
Before you flame me: I completely understand the appeal and demand for a permadeath league.

The thing that contradicts this for me, however, is that you will see like 90%+ of HC players alt f4 in the face of certain death.

All I can see HC offering at that point is...the feeling of being "better" than softcore players and a consistently new economy.

And no i'm not an established player with 27 million exalts and 48 sets of mirrored gear, simply questioning.

Congrats for creating the 100000th post on this subject. If you are a new player most deaths are instant. Instant death means no time for altF4. AltF4 can be used only from experienced players. All the others just think they can do it and survive until the 90s but in truth they can't.
It will help them a bit if it's macroed yes. They will still die though and then proceed to shed tears in the forums:P
I'm not trying to be an elitist here mind you. I mostly play softcore after all (usually RIP around 85s in HC). That doesn't mean I will not comment on people trying to belittle the HC players. They are just better. Deal with it.

Yea didnt you know alt f4 is pure skillz.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Hardcore is about two things.

Paying attention: You can't just rush through everything. You need to pay attention to enemy affixes and strongbox affixes.

Self-control: You can't just take pointless risks. On SC you can attempt a dangerous map boss and the worst thing that can happen is a 10% XP loss. On HC you really need to be prepared or just skip it.

I do think that both those things are skills, so you do need to be a better player if you want to play HC.
"
Davidson wrote:
I use alt-f4 to get out of sure death desynch situations. The only times that you die in poe is to burst dmg if you are playing carefully anyways.
But really though, people can play how they want and you shouldn't let it bother you, op. Its a video game.

Just like IRL then...oh wait.

I thought people play HC to only have one chance, one life but alt f4 gets around that. Its like seeing the train come and no way to get out of the way and blinking out of existence and then logging back into life in your home.
LOL- this thread is fun & funny..

HC is nothing more then a "glorified" version of SC..

To paraphrase a few responses : 'take your time' 'choose your battles/zones/bosses' 'alt+f4 or teleport away' do all this to avoid death...

All this can be done and is being done by players in Standard..

So, what's the difference, where is this 'Hardcore element'? (death penalty doesn't count, when as stated previously, you can avoid it)

In reality, the difference between HC and SC, your name appears on a ladder titled, 'HardCore' and thats about it..

;)
"
Thadenkeen wrote:

In reality, the difference between HC and SC, your name appears on a ladder titled, 'HardCore' and thats about it..

;)

Nope. The reality is that items leave and characters leave HC when they die. That creates a whole different dynamic to the game. HC league needs to be there for the game to thrive and make money for further development. The real answer lies there. It makes more money than it costs to up-keep.
This thread is drowning in softcore player angst. Quite interdasting :3
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
Thadenkeen wrote:

;)

Nope. The reality is that items leave and characters leave HC when they die. That creates a whole different dynamic to the game. HC league needs to be there for the game to thrive and make money for further development. The real answer lies there. It makes more money than it costs to up-keep.

It might be a coincidence but I noticed a good deal more players having some sort of MTX in hc than in sc. Maybe the hc players are more dedicated, or maybe it's a 1-month thing. But it's definitely there, I think.
I'd really like to see some official numbers on that, but that's probably out of the question.
Last edited by Jojas on Mar 27, 2015, 11:41:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info