Exactly why does hardcore exist?

"
austinrelis wrote:
Before you flame me: I completely understand the appeal and demand for a permadeath league.

The thing that contradicts this for me, however, is that you will see like 90%+ of HC players alt f4 in the face of certain death.

All I can see HC offering at that point is...the feeling of being "better" than softcore players and a consistently new economy.

And no i'm not an established player with 27 million exalts and 48 sets of mirrored gear, simply questioning.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1120982
Bloodlines ladder,take a look.
"
All I can see HC offering at that point is...the feeling of being "better" than softcore players and a consistently new economy.

its not a feeling. Its a fact. In general HC players are better (mechanically speaking) and have more well rounded builds able to face more challenges and deal with them without dying.

I've done cruel dom in a sc league and some of the people died 5 times on the way to dom and there was another 30-40 deaths during the fight itself. Lame but also hilarious in a way

also..
hc 1 month
sc 1 month

seems to me that HC players are indeed better :)
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
Last edited by andkamen on Mar 26, 2015, 9:23:32 PM
"
austinrelis wrote:
Before you flame me: I completely understand the appeal and demand for a permadeath league.

The thing that contradicts this for me, however, is that you will see like 90%+ of HC players alt f4 in the face of certain death.

And no i'm not an established player with 27 million exalts and 48 sets of mirrored gear, simply questioning.

People have different goals and playing styles. I'm enjoying the HC league atm, even though my character is crawling along XP wise and I've had 2 very close calls with death. Whether someone uses Alt+F4 or not doesn't mean that player still doesn't get excited when their character almost dies. If it makes the game more fun for them, than more power to 'em.

As to why HC exists, I'd say that players made it happen, by playing HC variants before game developers even had such an option. HC Diablo 1 for instance, was successful enough to have unofficial tournaments, and for Blizzard to add HC to Diablo 2.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
I never used alt-f4 to cheat death. I do log when things are getting hairy or the desync is real, but this is almost always a pre-emptive strategy or erring on the side of caution as opposed to "god mode" which these threads about alt-f4 seem to imply it is.

All of my non-lag rips I go from 100% health to dead in about 0.5s or less and even if my reaction times were that quick, I am not 100% alert 100% of the time grinding levels.

And if this is somehow talking about macros that chicken for you then the question isn't "why hc exists?" but "why people cheat?"
"
austinrelis wrote:

All I can see HC offering at that point is...the feeling of being "better" than softcore players.

You answered your own question. Alt f4 is badass.
Why do they even use alt f4... im sure there's a way to just get path of exiles hook in running programs and just hit a key to end the whole game

> faster then alt f4 come at them bro

I don't know if they are *better* as people say its more likely they skip everything hard and party to kill the harder stuff with high end builds and gear that alot of people wouldn't even have

You give me a 1m dps char and ill do what you do! :D

My char in 1m SC sucks ass and i couldn't even kill dom with 0 deaths
Arc witch is a bad build to try to kill dom with but i bet i could kill him with a tank mara without a death (cause i have before :D)
I like turtles '-'
Oblivious
I'm playing hardcore for the first time this league and i'm currently on my 4th try. Never even made it to merciless so far. I don't consider myself a highly skilled player and I most certainly can't speak for all hardcore players. But here's what I've learned so far.

Alt F4 is not a immortality mechanic. There are certain things in PoE that can and will kill you so fast that you simply can't react to it. It's all about preveting these certain things by thinking ahead. What really kills in you hardcore is the lack of knowledge and experience. Is as simple as that.

It's true that I now tend to skip content where I'm not sure if I can make it (best example is tricky strongboxes w/ ice nova + freeze on act. or exile inside). But that's exactly what hardcore is about for me: knowing what you can do and if you can't do something, then improve until you are able to.

Just try it yourself and you'll most likely see what hardcore is all about =)
"
andkamen wrote:
"

its not a feeling. Its a fact. In general HC players are better (mechanically speaking) and have more well rounded builds able to face more challenges and deal with them without dying.

I've done cruel dom in a sc league and some of the people died 5 times on the way to dom and there was another 30-40 deaths during the fight itself. Lame but also hilarious in a way

also..
hc 1 month
sc 1 month

He is generally right. It isn't always just a case of arrogance. I play SC more than I play HC but I build my characters and play like it was HC even when I play on SC.

I had to do a lot of grouping that I don't normally do while hunting ghosts last league. The first thing I noticed was how much everyone on SC is geared for damage and not to stay alive. I'd go through parties where half the group was dropping dead every 3 seconds while I just chugged along. Survivability apparently something none of them had learned. They'd open boxes and then be surprised when they died to a frost nova on -max resist. They'd charge into deadly situations and get splattered all over the walls.

If you get some experience on HC and racing, you get a much better grasp of how to stay alive while also moving quickly. It isn't always arrogance.

But most of the time it is. Fuckin' HC alt+f4 losers.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
"
andkamen wrote:
"

also..
hc 1 month
sc 1 month

LOL-

if thats true, why the need for ATL+F4? or why avoid 'tough bosses or zones'?

I mean according to you, HC players are so superior "mechanically speaking"

what can POE, possibly, throw at them, they couldnt handle, being such L33T players???

(insert)sarcasm anywhere you like

;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info