Build Share: the Charging Bull RF. a gameplay concept. [updated]

Hi guys,

found this build very fun to play, so sharing it here.
it is a pretty straightforward Righteous Fire Marauder, with an interesting twist: Shield Charge stun. because enemies which are stunned and cursed, burn twice as bright :P
currently level 71.

disclaimer:
please note this is a proof of concept combining Stun with RF, more than it is a full-blown build guide.

SKILL TREE
is based on LiftingNerd's RF build (shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMWaZi4ybR0) with some minor tweaks.
EDIT: can grab Elemental Equilibrium.

gear

EDIT 2: can replace Flammability, with a level 1 Arc gem.

notable gem setups (see in gear above):

RF + Increased Burning Damage + Increased Area Of Effect.
I wish Fire Penetration worked with RF, but it doesn't so that one is just there for leveling. Carcass Jack is very good here, and a Belly Of The Beast or a high life chest can be used instead, for extra tankiness and a bit of extra damage (because RF scales from life).

Shield Charge + Stun + Faster Attacks.
main movement skill, defining skill for this build, and main source of Stun.
extremely good synergy with RF: stunned monsters do not move or attack, so you can expose them to RF's burn for longer.
Shield Charge itself is pretty fun to use, since you can chain-charge quickly to either close distances for some good RF burn, or get out of trouble quickly while knocking back stuff around you.

Ground Slam + Multistrike + Faster Attacks + Added Fire Damage.
very cool, especially with Carcass Jack equipped. extra source of stun.
GS can be swapped with Infernal Blow, and Added Fire with Melee Splash, to provide quite satisfying explosions when "culling" the monsters exposed to RF.

Enduring Cry + Spell Echo.
a very good defensive capability when self-cast.

Auras:
3 Purities and Reduced Mana (link in gear is wrong. Flammability/Arc is in the Shield).
Vitality.
Lightning and Ice Purities are optional depending on the situation.

gameplay:

turn on Purity Of Fire and Vitality. activate RF. curse enemies with flammability (or - if using EE - cast Arc) then charge into them to watch them burn. add some Ground Slams for visuals and extra stun.
as explained in Lifting's video, the Ruby Flasks are your healing flasks.
the Warding one is a must, because in RF getting cursed can deal damage to you, so you need to remove those quickly.

have fun!
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Mar 23, 2015, 3:02:11 AM
I hope you realize that Devotion increases the amount of damage you take from RF.

I'm amazed you even have enough regen to handle RF with a level 17 Purity of Fire at level 17. Or maybe you just try to keep your ruby flasks "always on".

Your build lacks sufficient life. From gear. I'm sure your tree will eventually reach a not-horrible zone, so that's not worth complaining about. This is standard, it should be easy to get at least 80 life from each gear piece.

Your links are mostly incoherent. Why is Riposte even there? You have enough AoE to go Conc Effect, so why not make the switch?

Why are you even manually casting flammability? Curse on Hit (for increased effect!) plus Cyclone was basically made for RF.
"
I hope you realize that Devotion increases the amount of damage you take from RF.

I'm amazed you even have enough regen to handle RF with a level 17 Purity of Fire at level 17. Or maybe you just try to keep your ruby flasks "always on".

Your build lacks sufficient life. From gear. I'm sure your tree will eventually reach a not-horrible zone, so that's not worth complaining about. This is standard, it should be easy to get at least 80 life from each gear piece.

Your links are mostly incoherent. Why is Riposte even there? You have enough AoE to go Conc Effect, so why not make the switch?

Why are you even manually casting flammability? Curse on Hit (for increased effect!) plus Cyclone was basically made for RF.

just to be clear:

1) this is a fun build. not a "end-game Atziri Viable" build, but a "fun to play" build that uses a slightly different twist on playing RF.
so again: it's not optimized. it's not min-maxed. it's fun and I think others would have fun too if they try it.
and no, it's not "easy" to get 80+ life on every piece of gear. Standard or not.

2) some gems are not part of the build. they are there pretty much because they are there.
any gem linked that isn't described in OP as being part of the build, is there because it's there and that's about it.

3) Conc effect instead of Inc AoE, makes the RF radius too small for my taste, even with Carcass Jack.

4) asking "why not Cyclone + Curse On Hit + Flammability?" means you didn't understand what this build is about. I can remove Cyclone completely to help you with that.
and you can look at the thread title.
Last edited by johnKeys on Mar 20, 2015, 10:56:34 AM
I'm sorry, but you need to accept that you will get almost no positive feedback on this 'build', since it does nothing very well, and has no synergy at all. And what's worse is that you are misleading newer and less experienced players by stating that stun has some sort of positive effect for Righteous Fire, which it doesn't.
Last edited by Grimmhammer on Mar 20, 2015, 12:52:31 PM
I'm not looking for "positive feedback" here. I just found a specific build fun to play and decided to share it so others can try it too, if they like it, or not if they don't.

seems like if something isn't Uber-Geared, Uber-Atziri-Viable, 1 billion DPS, face-tank-afk Palace Dominus - no one is going to get any "positive feedback", because people's Mirror-Worthy staffs are shoved too deep up their asses nowadays.

you know, I'm starting to think maybe posting this with the current "community" we have, was a mistake.

as for "misleading newer players", no.
Stun makes stuff stay in your RF radius because they aren't moving, and they aren't hitting you like a ton of bricks either - so you can continue standing and burning them for longer.
now edited into OP to clarify.
it's a synergy I found enjoyable, and again if you don't - so don't play it.
that is all.

now, I'd appreciate if people stop pissing me off.
Last edited by johnKeys on Mar 20, 2015, 1:17:38 PM
You're looking for feedback here since the forum title is "Gameplay Discussion"

There are specific pure build forums in the Class forums.

Link here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/23
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Mar 20, 2015, 3:13:20 PM
perhaps you are right, Chunda.

perhaps I am looking for feedback and discussion here.
but the kind of feedback I'm looking for is "I tried it, and it was fun / it sucked". or "I will/won't try this, because it seems fun/terrible to me".

I'm not looking for "feedback" like "Cookie Cutter Manual says 'take Cyclone and link to CoH Flammability'. y u no?", "y u gear sucks ass?", or "I didn't understand the synergy here, so instead of asking you what it is, I'm just going to say this build sucks bowling balls, and y u no Atziri Viable?".

You want a free 5L Carcass? I have a few sitting around doing nothing, PM me - btw, I recommend Item Rarity which does work.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Wait, since when was Gameplay Discussion to gather feedback from other people? That's not really what the word 'discussion' means you know. *shrug*

"3) Conc effect instead of Inc AoE, makes the RF radius too small for my taste, even with Carcass Jack."
But that's why you can use both, right? :) Have you messed around with that setup yet?
nope. my newly-gifted 4-link one is what I need.
thanks to Morbo.
Spoiler
I owe you man. more than one :)

please don't go off-topic, Chunda.
quality of gear is secondary here.
main topic is, using Shield Charge and other Stun Mechanics on an RF character, is fun and you really should try this.

@Vipermagi, combining Conc Effect and Inc AoE with RF is the way to go - but sadly, I don't have the sockets for that, or the capability to Chrome 3 off-colour blues on STR Boots.
so I use just one, and that one is Inc AoE because Conc Effect turns out too small, despite Carcass Jack's still noticeable bonus.
Last edited by johnKeys on Mar 20, 2015, 3:40:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info