Why self-found needs its own league

^ lol

even though I don't join parties for bandit help or just ask trusted friends, I still keep KZA friended and like to take a look every once in a while to see if she is about to pk someone :P
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
I didn't imply that you did. It's a common request though. Your thread seems to be based on the premise that we're competing though and that somehow that competition should be "fair". That usually means you want the game made as easy as it current is for those that trade which implies higher drop rates. That's what makes it a no-sale to me.

Would I join a SFL with the exact same ruleset as the regular leagues? Nope. No reason to.
Fine.
Spoiler
Chicken. I'm only kidding! ;)
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
I have finally determined the solution for self-found players. I 100% know the ideal solution for self-found players that would completely satisfy both them and GGG. Seriously, this idea I'm going to state is genius:

Give every new character the 'self-found' status icon. It would give a few identification perks like an icon on the ladder, and friends list/party list. This way, players get to track theirselves competitively on the ladder, AND play safe found.

Self-found status is lost as soon as you accept an item in trade chat.

I'm pretty sure this would solve everything.

You can thank me later.

[my dream]this, but with one change.. when you create a new character, you can tag it as sf and that disables trade and creates a stash that is only usable by this character.. and then ofc you get that [SF] before your character's name on the ladder.

[reality]If GGG does this, then all the solo guys wants their own things, then solo/SF'ers.. then people who play without sounds, people who are left-handed but play with "normal" KB&mouse.
d:-D*
No™
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Self-found does not need its own league. It would be nice if it had its own ladder, so players who want to compete under the playstyle can do so against other like-minded players.

However, it is not as simple as "if this character trades, it loses self-found." Usually players have traded items in their stash, so characters with the label shouldn't be able to access it - either no stash or a separate one. I think I'd actually prefer to see the "no stash" version since it's harder. :3

There would also be the question of partying. It might be considered unfair to have a non-SF player rush you, even if no items change hands. Or it might be considered fair game. Not sure.

In no instance should self-found players be afforded any advantage or "compensation" for their choice of playstyle. It should be about competition.

I know it's not as simple as I'm making it out to seem.

For the problems you listed in your second paragraph, the coding solution for this would be to just track which character found, or last owned, an item. If your character acquires an item (by pickup/trading/pull from stash/etc.) that wasn't freshly dropped (had a previous owner which isn't the same as your character), you lose self-found status. I wouldn't be surprised if GGG already has some tech like this in place which they use to catch cheaters through trades. It would just need expanded. This would address a variety of other 'exploits' as well.

I already addressed your third paragraph by stating that partying in non-town instances with non-self found players would remove the self found tag. The self found tag would require you to be vigilant to make sure that you keep it. Players would have the option to select self-found when creating a character, and it could come with a warning like hardcore leagues do about what self-found entails and that its for veteran ARPG (or PoE) fans.

But that's besides the point. My point is that self-found will still be a feature that requires countless hours of work poured into it to properly implement it. It is my understanding that GGG isn't against the idea of self-found, and constantly advocate that all players are welcome to play it if they want to. They are only against segmenting the playerbase on more ladders. This solution 'could' work and give self-found players the distinction they so desperately crave.

I could spend hours developing every single condition for this system to work, but it's not my job. And really I'm not a major supporter of self-found. If GGG really wants to implement it, then they would figure out the nitty gritty details. I personally think there are far more important things (desync/new content/trading system/guilds update) that need to be taken care of before something like this should be added. And GGG probably feels the same way.
Last edited by DestroTheGod on Feb 25, 2015, 3:34:19 PM
since when is playerkilling (pk) competitive ?

you outlevel your opponent
you are geared for pvp
you have the suprise element
you choose the attacktime

its a cowards playstyle gz if it gives you a kick to ruin countless of played hours from other ppl
kind of pathetic but what do i know....
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on Feb 25, 2015, 4:08:38 PM
"
ventiman wrote:
since when is playerkilling (pk) competitive ?

you outlevel your opponent
you are geared for pvp
you have the suprise element
you choose the attacktime

its a cowards playstyle gz if it gives you a kick to ruin countless of played hours from other ppl
kind of pathetic but what do i know....

It's buried in an ancient thread now, but if you browsed my book-o-kills which had screenshots of all my murders (1500+), or if you look at my video, you would see that I use very low level characters and often fight 1v5 whenever occasion permits. I've even killed some 15 levels higher than me (killing people who sell boss kills).
Self found league would be very low on build diversity with the current drop system because it would take too long to get a lot of build defining uniques unless they increase unique drop rates to ridiculous levels.
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
Give every new character the 'self-found' status icon. It would give a few identification perks like an icon on the ladder, and friends list/party list. This way, players get to track theirselves competitively on the ladder, AND play safe found.

This wouldn't work because a player can still do drop trading.

What they could do instead is make self found an option on character creation and make it so regardless of whichever drop allocation rules they are playing, self-found players automatically have item drops allocated and bound to them. Self found players can't pickup an item unless it has their name on it.

It would require a fair bit of work initially on GGG's part to implement but it would require no work in the long run like a separate league would.

I do agree that having self-found players play alongside traders and giving self-found some sort of status icon is a much better solution than making GGG waste time on maintaining a separate league for them. Saying, "you can just play self found" is being a bit disingenuous. The whole self found vs not meta has been a part of these games since their existence. It's a shame to not capitalize on it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info