Detailed overview of Diablo 3 vs. Path of Exile

"
TheWretch wrote:

No more skill than facerolling maps 10 lvls below your level indefinitely, but hey

Triggered :P
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I wonder if you can die in diablo playing content "10 levels lower" then your character power?

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
D3 is fun for a couple of weeks if you haven't played it in a while. You grind until you get all ancient gear in every slot with good rolls (that's literally the only excitement in drops). Then you would do a trial and run a grift and that's that. If you don't play in a party, don't bother trying to play new seasons or doing anything on the ladder since your paragon xp will be way too slow. Definitely not a long-term, grind it out game.

Path of Exile gets frustrating at times, but it keeps me interested for a long long time. I think it's far superior to D3. The only thing D3 has going for it is it's optimization and you don't crashes/lag from playing in parties and you do in PoE, everything else about PoE I like a lot more. I like feeling like something great could drop at any given time. Once you have ancient gear in D3, there is nothing that's going to drop that's cool.
Rampage IGN: RIP_Stannis_Baratheon
Info-graphs out-dated so I'll give my perspective as a d3 player.

POE beats Diablo in 3 things

Potential build diversity
(although everyone knows cyclones the best marauder skill LOL)

Trading
(Love trading but kinda does feel like the right thing to do when hitting endgame is to hit up a website and copy and buy gear from people for chaos)

Korean style drops in the form of currency/currency in general
The potential to get rich is amazing in this game.

Bad notes about poe
End-game right now does suck though. I'd easily prefer D3's old trial system over being forced to faceroll content just because fuck you do a 71. I'd rather maps be pushing against a wall rather than walking against escalators that always outpace you. I've been level 88 for 5 weeks now. I can level to 70 faster than i can level to 89 unless i buy the maps. Not because I can't do content but because fuck you. That feels really stupid and stressful for me.

Things D3 does well:
D3 beats POE in 4 things

Trying Builds
While blizzard do kinda force certain skills upon the player once they find their tier sets this isn't the case while leveling up. The player will go through almost every single skill and ability they have during the leveling process. Giving them a good idea of which build they actually want to use (rather than following a forum thread) until they get their gear. For a casual player, this is super nice. In POE the right thing to do is copy off of someone on ladder/forum guide and don't divert from that unless you wish to spend respec points/reroll or wish to try a build out unoptimized. In D3, you just switch the build and you're done. Adds a lot more fun while leveling

Graphics
D3 just looks better graphically although i do prefer the darker poe atmosphere by a mile.

Gameplay
Killing things just feels very satisfying in diablo. You light something on fire and you see its charred corpse with a different effect/outcome for most mobs. In POE it looks like the same effect applied to each mob. Doesn't feel as satisfying. Also movement feels a little clunky in poe because of the animations. D3 movement feels very smooth.

End-game wall
End-game D3 is literally a wall. After you hit the wall most casuals do tend to stop (if they have full set) or they do the correct thing to do which is farming paragon points. In POE end-game feels more like a wall that's not very far away but you've gotta crawl there so it takes time for the sake of taking time. Nothing more.

In regards to what the games do differently such as self-found vs trading, i think that's more up to the player to decide rather than the dev implementing one over the other. I think both games need to be different in their design and prefer it that way. I don't ever want self-found to be part of poe as that would destroy trading. The economy is the main reason why I play poe.

However, If i could have poe with more/better satisfying gameplay/graphics/more balanced skills (rather than everyone running cyclone as their go-to choice) then I wouldn't say no. The end-game patch coming up might fix their unrewarding end-game so that might be less of an issue. I think the builds being locked in unless you spend a fuck ton is just part of POE and can never really be changed. Adding competition in the form of efficient farming of xyz (like say, kill the following bosses in the fastest time+ in-game leaderboard etc) would also be nice. Like Poe's take on greater rifts from d3.

Other than that i enjoy both games thoroughly and look forward to poes next patch and d3s next season.
Last edited by jebza on Aug 17, 2015, 11:49:20 PM
"
Boem wrote:
I wonder if you can die in diablo playing content "10 levels lower" then your character power?

Peace,

-Boem-

I'm sure you'd manage my friend. =P

A better question would be ... Should a player be able to die to content ten levels lower than it's overall power .... and exactly why should a player be playing trivial content at all ....... ?>
Last edited by Temper on Aug 17, 2015, 11:54:07 PM
"
Boem wrote:

Peace,

-Boem-

Highly doubtful.
"
Detailed? You want my details

D3 is all out casual and gives you everything spoon fed like literally no skill involved in this game or a state of mind what the fuck ever. ( Supfreshturnbaby Paragon1052 )

PoE is all out grindy as fuck and likely gouging your eyes repeatably with like a fork in your ass or gouging your eyes with a rusted spoon that works too. In other words it's complex and wonderful for the ''no life ' hardcore crowd etc w/e you wanna call them but the grind in that game or RNG in PoE is beyond horrid.
+ Drop rates are shit
+ RNG is shit

I could go on and on about both games but you get the point

HAZZAH EVIL LORD XENU 7

HAHA it was good to see this post. It is exactly how I feel about both games.
I desperately await something that meets us in the middle of these 2 extremes in this genre.
D3 is beyond fucked but I think POE could develop into an amazing game if they could change a few things and stop catering to the basement dwellers.
ZiggyD's review on the latest D3 patch, and interview with developers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeVKlgZkabc

...And the pendulum swings? =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:

Ive been telling you this!! You need to try RoS!
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:

Ive been telling you this!! You need to try RoS!

Still not what I want to play. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info