Detailed overview of Diablo 3 vs. Path of Exile

For me, and it is a belief shared among my friends (and maybe some of you fellow exiles) Path of Exile is the spiritual successor of Diablo 2.

PODUNK!
Alexis
*smiles*

=@[.]@= boggled
=~[.]^= naughty wink
"
Nasreth wrote:
He lost me when I saw him make a post saying Greater Rifts were difficult past level 50. It's simply not true, it's purely a gear wall. That's how Diablo 3 works, they fabricate their difficulty behind a gear wall. You don't feel an accomplishment because you slightly tweaked your passive tree to beat some difficult content, or you rearranged your flasks to deal with a lightning damage boss, or you simply outmaneuvered it. In Diablo 3 you either spend enough time to get all the best gear, or you don't and you clear low content instead.

POE is gear check mate .... not skill check ... unless you mean there's some uncanny gift to be had for how quick a player can TP back to town or alt/f4. lol

Both the same in respect to farming trivial content until geared enough to move up the food chain.

=P
"
diablofdb wrote:
For me, and it is a belief shared among my friends (and maybe some of you fellow exiles) Path of Exile is the spiritual successor of Diablo 2.

There's only one ARPG on the market that can actually back that claim up ... and that's Grim Dawn being Titan Quests spiritual successor.

Besides,Diablo 1 is where it all began and comparing D1,D2 and D3 to each other it appears that D2 is actually the red headed step child of the series,but neither D2 or 3 capture the gothic atmosphere that Diablo1 projected.

=P
Last edited by Temper on Aug 3, 2015, 11:03:46 PM
"
Temper wrote:
"
Nasreth wrote:
He lost me when I saw him make a post saying Greater Rifts were difficult past level 50. It's simply not true, it's purely a gear wall. That's how Diablo 3 works, they fabricate their difficulty behind a gear wall. You don't feel an accomplishment because you slightly tweaked your passive tree to beat some difficult content, or you rearranged your flasks to deal with a lightning damage boss, or you simply outmaneuvered it. In Diablo 3 you either spend enough time to get all the best gear, or you don't and you clear low content instead.

POE is gear check mate .... not skill check ... unless you mean there's some uncanny gift to be had for how quick a player can TP back to town or alt/f4. lol

Both the same in respect to farming trivial content until geared enough to move up the food chain.

=P

And this is why most new people (or many people in general) ruin their first build and/or hit "Merciless Wall". /sacrasmerino :P

You can't gear on "trivial content" forever. Game is both gear check (which, by the way, needs skill, partially due to trade) AND skill check (skill in choosing gear, skills, passive tree etc.). This is nowhere near skill cap needed for say, fighting games or something, but I think PoE players play PoE for different reasons. :P Same as D3 players play for different reasons.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Aug 4, 2015, 12:52:23 AM
"
Temper wrote:
"
Nasreth wrote:

=P

Ofc its not skill base but no one play an hack n slash for play a skill base game rofl..

You want play skill base ? go play Quake live, starcraft, street fighter....
"
Perq wrote:

And this is why most new people (or many people in general) ruin their first build and/or hit "Merciless Wall". /sacrasmerino :P

You can't gear on "trivial content" forever. Game is both gear check (which, by the way, needs skill, partially due to trade) AND skill check (skill in choosing gear, skills, passive tree etc.). This is nowhere near skill cap needed for say, fighting games or something, but I think PoE players play PoE for different reasons. :P Same as D3 players play for different reasons.

The average player spends far more time farming trivial content just to get access to high end content or enough currency to trade up.Hell even veterans have to meander through trivial content more than they should just to access appropriate content for their characters.

If we're going to include a trading/economy as a stock standard ARPG feature that needs to be navigated to ensure success,which we're told by GGG and forum regulars it isn't and is actually optional and never required then let's take a closer look at it shall we.

So what would this "trade skill" be used to acquire ? .... Hmm let's see ... gear ! =P And what do we need the gear for ? .... Gear check .. lol

Practically everything POE is gear mate,flasks,armors,skills,jewelry.Can POE be beaten with great gear and no passives,sure can.Can POE be beaten with only passives though ?

Gear maketh the character

Armor/weapons/shields sockets,color,links,%damage,modifiers of interest to different builds.

Skills just happen to be gear in POE,without them the show never even gets started.

I'd argue common sense is a far greater virtue to creating a build than skill,which is pretty moot since a great majority of players are likely copy/pasta from a internet guide anyway.

Swapping out the appropriate flasks for the appropriate encounter is hardly a skill,or at the very least it's a skill we're all born with and not overly taxing on brain power or physical energy in any way.Likewise alt/f4 and town portal don't need much skill for the application of practical use.

Do I have a minimum of four linked gear with best combo of skill gems for my main skill ? = check (but even four links are considered below efficieny threshold these days)
Are my flasks right for the encounter ? = check
Does my mitigation through gear and skills cover incoming damage ? = check
The only thing I have to look out for is a telegraphed OHKO from most bosses and in some cases/circumstances even that can be mitigated/tanked at least once.

Look,we can beat around semantics all day and night,but bottom line is POE is a gear check game much the same as any ARPG ..... and that's ok and I'm fine with that.But I'm not going to sit back and not call bullshit on anyone claiming POE uses skill and D3 doesn't when the gameplay and mechanics clearly require a standard of gear to progress or even just theory craft builds.

Remove your best characters gear Perq and let me know how far your playing "skills" get it.If your character needs that gear,then game is a gear check.I can count with one finger the number of ARPGs I can finish naked without the use of any gear .... and even calling that game skill based because I can is a very loooong stretch.

Anyway,seems I'm ranting again.... forgive me ? hehehe

=)

Last edited by Temper on Aug 4, 2015, 5:42:21 AM
"
TheWretch wrote:

Bringing up RMT is beside the point and irrelevant. I don't see how one has more of a gear check than the other. They're different beasts, yes. One thing they do have in common is gear checks though. A good ARPG has them, can't get around that. This isn't Dark Souls, not everything's a skill check.

YOU bang on sir ;) Besides: D3 is far away from being rmt-able anymore, while POE is an open invitation to do so (not only because godly gear is gated behind walls of jericho again and again). Just to put something in the comparison-battle here everyone seems to need to continue breathing.

@the arguments here: I am preeeetty sure that many don't know one of both games too well. Otherwise most of the comparisons would make sense. If someone claims that poe has less gearcheck(s) and more skillchecks than d3, he must be playing pillars of eternity instead, because THIS poe right here is a gearcheck party all the way. As temper wrote (and i also): gems, links, colors of the sockets all belong to the gearcheck-madness. Try building a gggbrb-build with your strength-only six-link. Try it. Or try to max out ele-resist for ele-weakness-maps with the skilltree. Yeah sure: if you need ele resist just take some passive nodes ;) But wait, this needs skill as somebody wrote. Which brings me to the next point: it needs skill to choose the right gear and nodes? Nope. It takes some skill to make a good build everyone else will copy then. But copying alone needs no skill at all. No skill at all. While still alive, poe already has some urban myths attached to it that are just urban myths: The game is hardcore, it needs tons of skill and so on. No. It is a very extensive grinder with lots of carrots everywhere. It is a game that demands passion and time. More than d3, right. But is this an advantage in this shitty comparison-bullshit? Nope, doubt it.

Short: All this comparisons are weak. The guy who made this comparison in the beginning did a disservice for gaming and both games. POE is no bullet hell or tetris-expert-mode. D3 is not angry birds. Both games are easy to learn and hard to master. Both games fulfil their duties. This duties are different. So why the fuck are we still comparing navy and airforce?
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
Perq wrote:
You can't gear on "trivial content" forever.

You can. In fact, playing easy content (Merc & lower maps) faster, is far more profitable than playing expensive & slow high-end maps.

Because almost all GG item drop early, because you don't need T1 mods, a good combo of T2s is enough (drops in 60 - 70 zones), because of huge gaps in tiered affix system vs zone level, because tier affixes progress linearly, but the difficulty to grab next tier ilvls increases exponentially, because Merc zones are free and low maps are super-cheap...

Only those who want some challenge or min-maxers, would want to play at 75+. Twatting easy Merc Dominus is all you really need to GG gear your char, especially if you trade for gear.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Aug 4, 2015, 8:47:46 AM
"
Temper wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:

There's only one ARPG on the market that can actually back that claim up ... and that's Grim Dawn being Titan Quests spiritual successor.

Besides,Diablo 1 is where it all began and comparing D1,D2 and D3 to each other it appears that D2 is actually the red headed step child of the series,but neither D2 or 3 capture the gothic atmosphere that Diablo1 projected.

=P

WTH are you talking about? Diablo 2 was a masterpiece for its time and still holds up to this day. Diablo 1, while great for its time has not held up at all. Diablo 1 is trash compared to Diablo 2.

As for Diablo 3, it has been trash from the get go.

Path of Exile is indeed the spiritual successor of Diablo 2. It is the only ARPG that is worthy to carry on the legacy that Diablo 2 left behind.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info