Detailed overview of Diablo 3 vs. Path of Exile

"
ghamadvar wrote:

Shouldn't it be "POE has a much different art style"?
And what "does look better" mean? Animations, effects, surroundings, nature, mobs, menues, everything? I think that d3 is what it should have been (designwise ;)). I have no doubt that Blizz could have designed a game that looks like farcry 4 if they wanted. But they never did something like this. Blizzard-games always were designed to be playable by a large amount of players with hardware from lowest to best.
But i think that GGG did what they could do. I think that if GGG have had the manpower, the money and whatnot, POE would have been a total stunner. In reality, it is a beautifully designed game. But it has it's limits. No problems with that. But if you compare the smoothness of playing both games or the consistency of style, d3 has an advantage in my opinion. Even if i also like the gritty, realistic style of POE more ;)

It's my opinion / preference, ofc. I prefer the more realistic PoE looks (atmosphere), than a bit cartoony D3. PoE has some nice lighting, shadows and effects, but it sucks when you need (or would want) to have most of these disabled, because of performance reasons.

Even "outdated & ugly looking" stuff like Act1 tilesets, is ok, imo, because the PoE world is more immersive, than D3. I also prefer realistic designs of armor & weapons.

I don't hate D3 art style, it's very neat looking (since I can play on max :)), I just prefer PoE. Maybe some day GGG will port PoE to a licensed professional engine, cause I dont really see this one surviving the planned game longevity.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Hi, im trying PoE for the first time. Played D3 HC for 3000 hrs... currently have there 4 HC heros (EU), you can see profile in signature. (atm you can do in D3 only 2 things. 1) T6 R - with easy, 2) GR35+ (repeating)
No customization at all...... So I went here....

Will play Hc here also... and see, if the rumors were true... with real diversity..
120$ ARCTIC SUPPORTER
Black cat, Arctic portal, Arctic skull hatred, Arctic footprints, 2x Arctic Weapon, 20 skins, +3 tab
"
FadeXF wrote:

Art is subjective - absolutely.

The only problem there is when the majority of people can look at a piece of art and be like "that just looks terrible - not that great - this other one here is just better looking"

You can argue for you that the POE art/style FOR YOU is better - if you were honest you would then finish up that statement with "I can see D3 engine and artwork being overall better though - mass appeal - more people would enjoy D3 graphics to those of POE."

There is another thing to consider: Diablo 3 feels nothing like the other two. People complained even in Diablo 2 about things getting flashier; the game had horror/gothic roots that were forgotten, and that's a pity. The loss of identity in the art direction is something that deserves criticism. That new art direction is somewhat overused lately in RPGs. I played Diablo 3 thinking "That would make a good Warcraft IV".

POE is more of a happy medium between Diablo 1 and 2, with a touch of Titan Quest (roman art style here and there), I guess. Now it's even taking its own form. It feels fresh to watch

I just want more horror things like Lunaris, or visual stunning things like Solaris or the Scepter of God...
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
FadeXF wrote:
"
ghamadvar wrote:
"
morbo wrote:
Regarding those screens...

* PoE has a much better art style, than D3. Realistic, gritty, I love it.
* D3 has a severely more optimized graphics engine. Stable frame rate, smooth gameplay.

PoE looks better in theory, but when you need to set things on low, maybe even disable shadows, to have playable FPS, it looks like poo. And even then you get stuttering and frame drops in certain cases (shrines, ground effects, party play..)

Shouldn't it be "POE has a much different art style"?
And what "does look better" mean? Animations, effects, surroundings, nature, mobs, menues, everything? I think that d3 is what it should have been (designwise ;)). I have no doubt that Blizz could have designed a game that looks like farcry 4 if they wanted. But they never did something like this. Blizzard-games always were designed to be playable by a large amount of players with hardware from lowest to best.
But i think that GGG did what they could do. I think that if GGG have had the manpower, the money and whatnot, POE would have been a total stunner. In reality, it is a beautifully designed game. But it has it's limits. No problems with that. But if you compare the smoothness of playing both games or the consistency of style, d3 has an advantage in my opinion. Even if i also like the gritty, realistic style of POE more ;)

Art is subjective - absolutely.

The only problem there is when the majority of people can look at a piece of art and be like "that just looks terrible - not that great - this other one here is just better looking"

You can argue for you that the POE art/style FOR YOU is better - if you were honest you would then finish up that statement with "I can see D3 engine and artwork being overall better though - mass appeal - more people would enjoy D3 graphics to those of POE."

Don't get me wrong: as i wrote, i think that d3 looks better because it looks more consistent, smoother, more polished. I prefer the realistic style. Or maybe "darker" style if this fits better. There once was a mod for d3 where everything looked darker and not so cartoonesk. It was awesome. If i had to chose, i would go with the smoothness of d3 and implement the roughness (to a certain degree) of POE. Technically and designwise d3 is much more polished, no doubt about that.

"
morbo wrote:
It's my opinion / preference, ofc. I prefer the more realistic PoE looks (atmosphere), than a bit cartoony D3. PoE has some nice lighting, shadows and effects, but it sucks when you need (or would want) to have most of these disabled, because of performance reasons.

Even "outdated & ugly looking" stuff like Act1 tilesets, is ok, imo, because the PoE world is more immersive, than D3. I also prefer realistic designs of armor & weapons.

I don't hate D3 art style, it's very neat looking (since I can play on max :)), I just prefer PoE. Maybe some day GGG will port PoE to a licensed professional engine, cause I dont really see this one surviving the planned game longevity.

I get you ;) As do i prefer more realistic settings. But i think that POE is too rough. There are some designs that i don't get. Mobs, Nature, Paths, Equipment. As i said: I believe that GGG pushed the limits for their design and what they were able to do "back then". But if they would have gotten more money, more manpower, more whatever, it would have been more amazing.

"
NeroNoah wrote:
There is another thing to consider: Diablo 3 feels nothing like the other two. People complained even in Diablo 2 about things getting flashier; the game had horror/gothic roots that were forgotten, and that's a pity. The loss of identity in the art direction is something that deserves criticism. That new art direction is somewhat overused lately in RPGs. I played Diablo 3 thinking "That would make a good Warcraft IV".

POE is more of a happy medium between Diablo 1 and 2, with a touch of Titan Quest (roman art style here and there), I guess. Now it's even taking its own form. It feels fresh to watch

I just want more horror things like Lunaris, or visual stunning things like Solaris or the Scepter of God...

That is a good point. It's something that is happening in hearthstone, wow, d3: Blizz is going in a weird direction. Once humor was a side-effect in their games and it was brillant. Now it's sometimes a little bit too much. Cartoonstyle, Jokes, Gnomes, Goblins ... I think that this works well with hearthstone or maybe in wow. But in d3 i think it was a little bit too much of cartoon-graphics and little bit too less gothic-style.

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Last edited by ghamadvar on Mar 10, 2015, 3:07:17 PM
Updated 2.2 version includes Combat Category, updated total weight and values, updated background images.
All that and a bag of chips!
"
"
Pewzor wrote:
Leave britney along...

Reminded me a very viral video.

D3 rode on Diablo 2s glory just like PoE rode on D2 glory as well... so that point is kinda moot. If blizzard never made diablo 2 PoE will cease to exist.

It would never have existed, not 'cease to exist'. That which never existed cannot cease to exist.

I would say PoE less rode the glory than picked up the torch that other ARPGs failed to grasp. I love Titty Quest, Torchlight, Sacred...but none of them really 'got it' the way PoE gets it. Diablo 3 didn't even try -- it was the bastard child of the Diablo legacy and a post-WoW Blizzard, who had and have streamlining down to an art but in the process lose that rough-edged genius that marks both D1 and D2. Diablo 3 isn't just a polished turd -- it's a buffed, waxed and varnished one. You could try to slide a condom over it but the damn thing would just fly right off.

PoE, on the other hand, is chock-full of insane little intuitions and innovations that, as with D1 and D2, make up for all the shortcomings -- not for all, but for enough people that the game is still going and has a healthy playerbase for its status as an indie online-only game.

Again, I see no point in comparing them. D3 was made by committee and greed, PoE by a small team and passion. That alone is going to result in spectacularly different products, each with their own pluses and minuses.

Innovations? What?

I know you're the resident shill here for the game, but PoE is not nearly as good as it was built up to be by the playerbase. The item hunting is as bad as D3 Vanilla, the combat is horrible, the art direction is bland and unremarkable, and if it were released in 2001 it would still feel like a budget title. There's no point in comparing D3 and POE because the former is a better overall title. Every person that criticizes D3 makes it sound like they just saw their girlfriend getting smashed beneath the bleachers that it becomes less about the actual game and more about the shift in developmental philosophy that has clouded their judgment to ridiculous proportions that it becomes comical.

POE does very little that couldn't be found in D2. When you play POE, because it feels so archaic, you often wonder why you wouldn't just go load up Lord of Destruction considering it has a more active playerbase than this does at peak hours according to Steam.

At least D3 attempted to take things in a newer direction by skipping through all the ultimately pointless horseshit and getting to what really matters. POE is a great retread, not a great game.

Browsing over D3 forum and found their latest PoE vs D3 stuff with only 3 pages worth of replies...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16202910432

Just like PoE forum bashing D3, lots of PoE is worse comment there as well but with less bitterness and many praising PoE for what PoE is...

shows a lot about PoE community...

At very least they seem to be busy with the game than living on the forum... think about it D3 easily has 100 times more active players than PoE yet their whiteknighting thread is so much shorter than ours...
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
"
Pewzor wrote:
Browsing over D3 forum and found their latest PoE vs D3 stuff with only 3 pages worth of replies...

Just like PoE forum bashing D3, lots of PoE is worse comment there as well but with less bitterness and many praising PoE for what PoE is...

At very least they seem to be busy with the game than living on the forum... think about it D3 easily has 100 times more active players than PoE yet their whiteknighting thread is so much shorter than ours...

So it's hard for you to guess why this happening eh? it wasn't PoE you know all the hardcore D2 fans w8ing to play for more than a decade but the sequel to D2 the most iconic ARPG ever & when we finally got the game every one facepalm with the major failure it was for so many reasons that fans have analyze extensive in thousands of forum posts through the years after it's release, D3 was for me also my most anticipated game & in the end become the most disappointing game of all time, but we were lucky GGG was there to give the fans what they really wanted, what we really expected D3 to be & never was, there is no denying that thousands of great supporters of GGG choose to invest in PoE to reward them for giving them the old-school hardcore experience they wanted & as a middle finger to Blizzard for ignoring their fanbase & turn D3 into a soulless brainless kiddy game for the casual crowd of millions WoW have, because that's for who this game was build for, not for the hardcore Diablo fans of old.
Last edited by rpgmaniac on Mar 14, 2015, 11:36:21 PM
"
Pewzor wrote:

Let's not be delusional about that community. They are so busy being vitriolic about the game they are playing, they don't have enough hate for PoE. I was there when they ran Bashiok out of town.

You have to understand that when D3 came out many of the people who really were very unhappy with it ended up here. PoE came out of beta fueled on a rejection of D3.

Even someone like me who put their 600 hours in and defended them got fed up and ended up here. So I might not go out of my way to trash them, but it's not this forums job to pump that game's tires. And when someone wants to take some of the "good" stuff from that game and apply it here, for the most part I am not interested to put it kindly.
There's really only two things D3 does better than PoE:

- Finding a unique in D3 is more fun because it actually happens and it looks/sounds 'way' cooler.

- There's no desync.

Otherwise, PoE is way ahead of D3 in almost every way, creatively speaking. 90% of D3 is it's optimization and servers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info