[2.2] MorgNThorg's level 100 all rounder melee berserker - uber / core / grandmaster map capable

Hey Mors, was just wondering if you would consider a progression for the tree? I'm trying to find something to play for 2.0 and I have always loved this style of build.
"
MorgNThorg wrote:
Aww, sad to hear :( Yeah Malachai hits like a truck, but your defenses sound really more than enough, so it's pretty strange.

You're right abouth the mana sustain, I didn't really go to detail and probably should update the OP in this regard. BTW my mana sustain is coming from two sources: the physical mana leech on my ring (can also be found on viridian jewels) and the mana gain on block found on the testudo notable. The instant mana leech (on crit) is another part where the luxury of the acuity shines. Without it probably I would need to invest in some of the mana leech effectiveness clusters, for example essence sap. I could reach that by sacrificing iron reflexes (-2.5k armor) and an endurace charge for example.

Also you can get mana on hit on jewels.

Another possibility is the usage of mana flasks. I know it sounds really bad, 'cause everyone wants to get rid of them as they reach endgame. But I'm just using them on my warband duelist build and they are actually really usable now. The best base for such a build is the hallowed mana flask which uses only 4!!! charges per use. With the surgeon's affix you can easily sustain your mana with this flask and constantly refill it so you don't run out of charges. Also you can be constantly immune to bleeding/curses or whatever suffix you roll on that flask and without investing a single passive node.

Yeah i thought of something like that with he blocking and the 8 mana on block.
I noticed your ring also. It actually went better with my mana before i died.
Used only 1 mana flask all the time

And my defenses obviously it wasn't enough lol

thx for replying i'm gonna make another puppet with this build.
"
Quixote77 wrote:
Great build, Morg.

I have an RT cycloner templar (Aegis-Rainbowstrides-Lazhwar with near max block) and he's pretty high-map tanky but doesn't hit as hard as I like. Tried unsuccessfully for a tanky crit build in the past, and although it's still early going (doing quite well in mid 70s maps) I think your guide is my best bet thus far.

I respecced from a lvl 87 duelist, getting all the sword, crit and shield nodes, and just 1 passive shy from getting all the life nodes. Skipped the jewel nodes for the time being while sacrificing one endurance charge (just 5). Since the usual set of Aegis and co. is with my templar (and I'm a bit lazy to keep switching around), I'm using all armor gear, save for a corrupted Atziri's Step with extra dodge.

Gear

I'm missing intelligence and dexterity atm -- can't equip critical strikes atm and have to rely on the accuracy gem to get to 84% chance to hit. Block with tempest shield is only at 56% as well, with no Aegis ES as buffer. As a result, chose to go more defensive with fortify in the main attack with a high as possible CWDT + IC + Inc Dur and arctic armor. Have a Saffell's and another sword (with the same gem setups) as a quick alternative if I encounter tough spell-casting mobs. Also use vaal haste and have a Rumi's. Thinking of getting another Rumi's to feel even safer.

All in all, it feels quite solid with still quite a bit of room for improvement as I level up.

Actually I was on the same path when I built this character. First it was an RT tank. Then I tried to put crit into the mix, but I couldn't meet the accuracy requirements so I used the gem. The thing that really bothered me that I not only needed to sacrifice a link on my main attack, but on every secondary skill I use (for example curse on hit + reckoning, fortify or pcoc + movement skill). There are so many good gem combinations that I couldn't use in that socket starved situation. But I see that one of the most difficult things in this build is to find all the needed stats on the few slots you can equip them.

If you're lacking dex and int you may consider to spec in the versatility notable near the marauder start. That adds 20 dex, 20 int and a good chunk of accuracy as well. Anyway nice setup and cool corruption on your boots!
"
Gankker wrote:
Hey Mors, was just wondering if you would consider a progression for the tree? I'm trying to find something to play for 2.0 and I have always loved this style of build.

For melee leveling I found it that the easiest way is to start as a general 2H RT build and spec out of some nodes later. It has good speed, enough life and you can use any good 2H weapon you find along the road.

1. rush to RT

2. Go to the duelist

3. Take a lot of life in the templar area as well

4. 2 points later you can switch to RT 1H + shield for ~20 respec point (you'll get enough for quest rewards), if you would like to

I would spec to crit if I can take at least both the disemboweling and the fatal blade clusters.
"
akJe wrote:
thx for replying i'm gonna make another puppet with this build.

Better luck this time!
"
MorgNThorg wrote:
"
Quixote77 wrote:
Great build, Morg.

I have an RT cycloner templar (Aegis-Rainbowstrides-Lazhwar with near max block) and he's pretty high-map tanky but doesn't hit as hard as I like. Tried unsuccessfully for a tanky crit build in the past, and although it's still early going (doing quite well in mid 70s maps) I think your guide is my best bet thus far.

I respecced from a lvl 87 duelist, getting all the sword, crit and shield nodes, and just 1 passive shy from getting all the life nodes. Skipped the jewel nodes for the time being while sacrificing one endurance charge (just 5). Since the usual set of Aegis and co. is with my templar (and I'm a bit lazy to keep switching around), I'm using all armor gear, save for a corrupted Atziri's Step with extra dodge.

Gear

I'm missing intelligence and dexterity atm -- can't equip critical strikes atm and have to rely on the accuracy gem to get to 84% chance to hit. Block with tempest shield is only at 56% as well, with no Aegis ES as buffer. As a result, chose to go more defensive with fortify in the main attack with a high as possible CWDT + IC + Inc Dur and arctic armor. Have a Saffell's and another sword (with the same gem setups) as a quick alternative if I encounter tough spell-casting mobs. Also use vaal haste and have a Rumi's. Thinking of getting another Rumi's to feel even safer.

All in all, it feels quite solid with still quite a bit of room for improvement as I level up.

Actually I was on the same path when I built this character. First it was an RT tank. Then I tried to put crit into the mix, but I couldn't meet the accuracy requirements so I used the gem. The thing that really bothered me that I not only needed to sacrifice a link on my main attack, but on every secondary skill I use (for example curse on hit + reckoning, fortify or pcoc + movement skill). There are so many good gem combinations that I couldn't use in that socket starved situation. But I see that one of the most difficult things in this build is to find all the needed stats on the few slots you can equip them.

If you're lacking dex and int you may consider to spec in the versatility notable near the marauder start. That adds 20 dex, 20 int and a good chunk of accuracy as well. Anyway nice setup and cool corruption on your boots!

Yep, gunning for versatility next. Specced out of two life nodes to (a 5% and a 6%) into the 5% and heart of the warrior for a net gain overall plus I'm only two passives from versatility. Might aim for diamond skin and cloth and chain to free up some res for another diamond ring later.

Also got another rustic sash with life regen, pushing my regen to 6.4% which enables me to use blood rage safely. Deciding, too, to incorporate a lvl 12 power charge on crit with the riposte -- at least I can get some charges on occasion especially when I spam Rumi's to get full block.

And tell me about it, so many other gem combos that would be good on this build.
"
Quixote77 wrote:
Yep, gunning for versatility next. Specced out of two life nodes to (a 5% and a 6%) into the 5% and heart of the warrior for a net gain overall plus I'm only two passives from versatility. Might aim for diamond skin and cloth and chain to free up some res for another diamond ring later.

Also got another rustic sash with life regen, pushing my regen to 6.4% which enables me to use blood rage safely. Deciding, too, to incorporate a lvl 12 power charge on crit with the riposte -- at least I can get some charges on occasion especially when I spam Rumi's to get full block.

And tell me about it, so many other gem combos that would be good on this build.

Yes, pcoc on counter attack gems work pretty well for me. Why do you prefer riposte over reckoning? It has higher damage, but higher cooldown as well, also reckoning has a nice AoE. Maybe because it's a green gem? (easier coloring of your eva pieces)

The first alternative link uses that come to my mind are:
puncture setup for bosses who you don't want to facetank / exploding rares on a -max res map / etc.
puncture + melee phys dmg + inc crit dmg + added fire (or hypothermia if you use arctic armour)

multiple reckoning setups
reckoning + curse on hit + curse + pcoc (auto curse and occasional power charge)
reckoning + curse on hit + curse + ecoms (auto curse and occasional endurance charge)
reckoning + curse on hit + curse + curse (multi curse setup, of course you need a very lucky corruption for the +1 curse)
reckoning + curse on hit + curse + vengeance (more reliable cursing)

reckoning + melee phys dmg + crit chance + added fire/life leech (pure damage version, it hit's like a truck)

fortify and frenzy + power charge generation for bosses who don't spawn ads - you can stick in a frenzy attack every time your fortify expires (I don't have fortify on my main attack). This will also keep you at max frenzy charges and gives you power charges occasionally. Or you can add blood magic to it so it can help your mana sustain against single targets, as you won't use your mana with this skill but still refill it with mana leech.
frenzy + fortify + crit chance + pcoc

The good side of abyssus is that you can have a really effective damage skill even in a 4L. For me the 3 white sockets on my boots allow me to be really flexible and switch gems according to specific requirements depending on the situation.
Some nice suggestions there, Morg. I stumbled upon a glove with high accuracy rating in my stash which put my chance to hit at 87%, enabling me to drop the accuracy gem. Using a culling strike atm in its place as intellect is still too low, but a 30 int node should fix that in the next level.

Along with rejigging the passive tree (my duelist starting path was inefficient; took a few melee physical damage points to get to born to fight) and my gem combos (found it most comfortable putting blood rage, tempest shield and assassin's mark in CWDTs), and getting another Rumi's, I gained more life, more damage and feel way tankier.

I think I quite like pairing culling strike with tempest shield. Seems to help drop mobs faster when Rumi's is activated.

Notice you favor the use of Forbidden Taste. Is it more useful than a bubbling/seething life flask in your opinion?

Last edited by Quixote77 on Jul 23, 2015, 9:08:23 PM
Nice upgrades there! The increased crit strikes may not be the best support on paper (added fire or others may seem better), but I really like to have as high crit chance as I can. Yep, I also enjoy having blood rage and tempest shield in a CWDT setup.

I only use the forbidden taste as a skin transfer on my flasks :) I like the look of it and also I like to have an MTX on each piece of my gear so I don't vendor them unintentionally :D You can see my actual flask setup in the "Gear setup" block.

Actually I was thinking of using that flask before life flasks were buffed and when I used high chaos rez gear.
Added a level 80 wasteland map run.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info