New Skill Development - Part 1

Warcries you say?! How about copy paste some Battle Orders from D2.
would love to see some unarmed love! My favorite builds are all built around those glove, just such a different take on the game. if not, maybe allow a few other gems like molten strike, ground slam or something work with unarmed. I think it really needs some more love. It doesnt need everything, other uni locked builds that can utilize so much more.

How about force push or force punch, can knock back/stun and do damage?
or Thunder clap? Punch your fists together and form a frontal cone of blinding damage?
Or id even settle for a jazz hands skill; stun enemies with pure confusion due to the surprisingly perfect form of the sparkling fingertips. has a chance to confuse enemies to attack each other.(not to be confused with jedi mind tricks)

EDIT: just thought of another one. Throw, Pick up an enemy and throw him at walls/other enemies, this one might be a long shit but kind of cool
Or how about round house kick. kind if like double strike but with kicks, and different dmg/abilities.
Just throwing ideas out there.

Idk, im tired and need to sleep, but would love to see some love to us weaponless exiles!
Last edited by BoDanger on Feb 9, 2015, 1:19:50 AM
ok random thoughts

first of all, new skills - keep them coming

BUT atm melee does not need a buff to damage dealt to large groups of monsters, if you are looking to provide melee with extra damage look for options that do so in 1v1ish fights aka vs act/map bosses - you play 78palace everything but the boss is paper tissues, same with vaal temple, same with apex

melee would also benefit from a way to reduce incoming elemental damage

by introducing more utility gems you are completely killing the chest piece Kaom's heart if it wasn't already dead, if extra sockets continue to gain more and more value, belly of the beast is just a no brainer for a n.1 chest that looks to increase max life

cwdt implications are way too many and too obvious, you deal with them :)
"

Inspiring Cry
Warcry, Spell, AoE
Taunts enemies, and increases the damage and flat mana regeneration (like Clarity) of you and nearby allies. Increased effect for each nearby enemy.

a) if it works with Enduring Cry (no shared cooldown) - slap into CWDT, because why not
b) if it shares a cooldown - vendor

Melee (and i mean 'melee' not pseudo ranged/AOE like max-stack reave) has other problems than 'damage' and 'mana' (weird concept indeed)

what is funniest is that this 'cry' would work perfectly well on a totem..

you neglected melee for too long. game is now 'ranged/aoe meta' where skills that cannot hit 10 mobs at once are considered garbage. you cannot 'nerf' that (ooo the nerdrage). and melee cannot be buffed up to that level without creating something truly unholy (static strike is so close to that..). and all these 'soft' and 'gentle' buffs-to-stuff-noone-cares-about wont change a thing

with release you've created a problems you now cannot work around - CwDT and COC. first one trivialized defences/sustain and entire buff dynamics second one prevents you from creating interesting spells.

what half-tested mechanic will 1.4 bring?
Some efficient "Taunt" ability could be useful. My tank takes no dmg in 75+ non-boss content so pulling enemies from my caster buddies would be welcomed change.

I hope the skill will be easy to automate as manual casting with so much trigger options is not really something i would appreciate. Unless the effect would be very much situational.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
while we have you here, rory: i never understood the design decision for trigger support gems to require no mana at all.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Feb 9, 2015, 2:06:44 AM
Noooo. I already struggle to find space for all the gems I want to use as it is. Stop introducing awesome new skills!

;)
"Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
So we turned Gorge into a red map"
i think sounds awesome.

ill be very happy to add this gem to my setup :)

awesome post also, I like these a lot.

also: unset ring extra space looking better and better :)
do what you want to the girl, but leave me alone.
Last edited by GDSLICK on Feb 9, 2015, 2:08:38 AM
Give us auras for physdmg. I hate to do more than 50% of my damage as elemental dmg.
Would be cool if there would be an oppotunity to go for elementel or full phys and reaching the same numbers like elemental.
Probably supporting already the total existing phys dmg with the aura so it cant get outrageous for aura spamming builds like low life.
"
sid is 100% correct. I don't think I've typed that before. Tastes funny.

Spoiler
It's too late to fix melee. The level of commitment in the development from OB to now to encouraging, rewarding and even demanding ranged+AoE play is staggering. Any and all true melee options are eventually absorbed into the ranged-AoE collective with crap like melee splash and Spectral Throw and now Static Strike (which is fun enough to use, but is hardly a nice, meaty weapon-based attack). People still use 'DPS' but only because 'KPS' isn't numerically friendly. Do not doubt that Kills Per Second is the real metric here. 'Not enough clear speed' is a thing, it's a BIG thing, and that's a real tragedy. Your ARPG, rich and deep and nigh infinite, has turned into a shmup for a lot of people, and worse, a shmup where you have to spend significant time trading to outfit your little spaceship instead of just finding upgrades as you go. Nothing I've not said before. Nothing a lot of you haven't said before.

It's not only too late to fix it -- it's too late to reprogram the users. You've given them entirely too much candy and despite the rotten teeth, they just want more and more. Oh, some part of them knows that this isn't exactly healthy but that's the nature of being spoilt and addiction.

Unless there is some miracle worked with 1.4 wherein not only the game is reinvented but also the playerbase's expectations completely reworked, I absolutely believe the game needs to end at 4 acts, GGG need to seriously look at what they had in Closed Beta, and look at what they have now, and ponder every single change as a lesson, a question: did we do that, and if we could do it again, what would we do differently?

And then, after figuring all that out, GGG need to start making Diablo 2. Sorry, Path of Exile 2.

That I would be calling for this when I've put so much money towards a game I ultimately want to be dismantled and rebuilt should strike you, dear reader, as a very, very significant statement. I've put over 20k USD into PoE. Not into GGG, as I'd like, but PoE itself. And it's been an incredible experience, but it's felt like tying rockets to a skateboard for a while now. That cliche is unusually apt here -- the basic model is rickety and unstable, fine if you don't mind a bunch of scrapes and bruises as part of the fun, but adding new things cannot and does not improve on the basic model. They just make it more dangerous, more unstable, more unattractive as a ride.

It's time for GGG to graduate from these unwieldy additions to their frankly unbalanced skateboard. Get back to the drawing board and start building that car. I know you can.

And who cares if it takes years again? Or more development money? You know there are more fans of GGG than of PoE, right? Announce a new game, especially one that promises to address some of the issues we have with PoE, and watch the support pour in. I guarantee it. I'll be first in line.

you could be wrong that ggg can't change basic mechanics, think of open beta and how they nerfed race rewards and damage afterwards.

and youre right, it's no fun as a static strike char to party up with a arc witch only to leap slam to already dead enemies. but there is a simple recipe against it: buff reflect and give players more control over the aoe of their spells to prevent offscreen deaths.

in regards to switch to a new game: a game which isn't supported anymore is dead. ggg is already struggling getting new stuff in the game and fixing broken mechanics (in this order) that i doubt they have the personal power to have a second project running. and i really hope the strategy to release act4 in a big bang instead smaller steps pays out in regards to attract new players and get old players back.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info