New Skill Development - Part 1

We tried to come up with some Strength-themed skills, after considering that most utility Strength gems were not as beneficial for melee characters as they could be for other builds. We started by looking at Totems - a Strength-themed spell mechanic that often worked better for ranged characters than the Melee Strength builds.

The idea started with a pair of totems, one that increased damage of you and your allies while slowing enemies, and one that reduced the damage of enemies while increasing the movement speed of you and your allies. Though the totems did give some interesting ongoing effects, they still lacked a close-combat focus. We played with variations until the obvious design space was exhausted, then started brainstorming other ideas so we could broaden our options when it came time to select a prototype.

This patch seemed like a perfect time to introduce more skills like Enduring Cry, and introducing "Warcry"-themed skills ticked the boxes of optional utility and an effect that rewarded being in melee range. We discussed which parts of Enduring Cry could be used to create the "Warcry" identity for new skills, and this is what we came up with: A Warcry is a spell that doesn't deal direct damage but instead checks the number of enemies in a radius around the player when used, and provides an effect that is enhanced by that number. In addition, all enemies in the radius are taunted to attack the caster.

We looked at applying some of the effects we liked from the totems that had been discussed, and came up with a few options. Two stood out above the rest to me, so I selected those for prototyping.

One of these prototypes, which I am pleased to able to introduce, was:

Inspiring Cry
Warcry, Spell, AoE
Taunts enemies, and increases the damage and flat mana regeneration (like Clarity) of you and nearby allies. Increased effect for each nearby enemy.

Once we were happy with the concept, we began iteration by prototyping and making changes to the design. You will be able to read about this in Part 2!
Balance & Design
Very cool & exciting!

Anything that makes melee more interesting and pulverizing is great news indeed.

Spoiler
Firstarino
i like it, any cooldown?

also, dibs: Oblivion Cry
Back to The Melee (Reaving Insight): view-thread/1240462
Fusion Skill Engineering: view-thread/1095291
Last edited by jahcinto on Feb 8, 2015, 8:31:47 PM
Mind over mater is actually receiving some love for it's current placement.

Very glad to see that, i hope more things are added to boost the power of this key-stone in it's current position, so it doesn't just become a

"we shoved this key-stone here because it would be to powerful anywhere else".

Which imo would be a pretty terrible argument for key-stone placement.

Peace,

-Boem-

(also +1 for news updates like this, very cool rory, thanks)
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
that sounds like a nice buff to incinerate - close ranged spell, added dmg buff, higher manareg buff for AA

melee rekt once again
I can see it now adding Insiring Cry to CWDT setups.

I look forward to the part of iteration where it's better when self-cast :)
MOM 2H melee marauder/duelists become THE thing in 1.4 Oooooh Yeeeeeah

(Boem beat me to it) :D
Nice to get some insight into how this goes down
Thank you for sharing, looking forward to more.

Also, first page!

EDIT: for the third time, how much did you earn for the Koala's in Australia?
RIP Diablo franchise

RIP Bird Lovers of Wraeclast <BLÔW>

Congrats Chris & others for cashing out! I don't blame you. I'll be saving money now... unless I start making a lot more. Can't wait to see if you guys start a new studio in six years! RIP GGG
Last edited by ThorOtheBIG on Feb 8, 2015, 8:53:27 PM
Sounds great until you realize the game has CWDT. Whoops. Check brain at door, please.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Last edited by CliveHowlitzer on Feb 8, 2015, 8:41:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info