tried self found but failed.

"
mazul wrote:
"
irukandji wrote:
well self found is not that easy if you also exclude party play but it`s still possible.

Self-found that includes party is a ridiculous concept. It would allow one party member to focus on trading game to the point where he has so good gear that he can solo carry a full 6-man team, and then the person who didn't trade could state "who cares if I got carried by a person that traded to obtain his power, since I did not trade, I am self-found, herp derp".

I personally think that you automatically associating the term 'self-found' with someone making a claim of some sort of achievement and looking immediately for some way to discredit it, is what is ridiculous.

Two people could play together, one trades, the other doesn't because that's how he wants to play the game. He is playing the way he wants to, he is playing self found because he isn't trading. That there aren't a thousand different terms to describe the thousand different possible play styles between the purest of pure self found and the PoEbayer, that someone (God only knows why) could purposely get carried by an uber geared mirror guy, and that you or anybody else fail to see that a play style is not necessarily a scrutinised, rule book, challenge, look at me, epeenage, doesn't really make the term invalid, does it?
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Feb 9, 2015, 4:26:35 PM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
mazul wrote:
"
irukandji wrote:
well self found is not that easy if you also exclude party play but it`s still possible.

Self-found that includes party is a ridiculous concept. It would allow one party member to focus on trading game to the point where he has so good gear that he can solo carry a full 6-man team, and then the person who didn't trade could state "who cares if I got carried by a person that traded to obtain his power, since I did not trade, I am self-found, herp derp".

I personally think that you automatically associating the term 'self-found' with someone making a claim of some sort of achievement and looking immediately for some way to discredit it, is what is ridiculous.

Two people could play together, one trades, the other doesn't because that's how he wants to play the game. He is playing the way he wants to, he is playing self found because he isn't trading. That there aren't a thousand different terms to describe the thousand different possible play styles between the purest of pure self found and the PoEbayer, that someone (God only knows why) could purposely get carried by an uber geared mirror guy, and that you or anybody else fail to see that a play style is not necessarily a scrutinised, rule book, challenge, look at me, epeenage, doesn't really make the term invalid, does it?

possibly a semantics question, but is 'self found' in your interpretation simply 'not trading' ?

ie, playing in party and your party members leaving some loot for you on the floor that was part of their loot or simply being nonagressive in FFA, self found or not ?

just wondering. you are the right person for this question too.
"
grepman wrote:
possibly a semantics question

Indeed.

"
grepman wrote:
but is 'self found' in your interpretation simply 'not trading' ?

ie, playing in party and your party members leaving some loot for you on the floor that was part of their loot or simply being nonagressive in FFA, self found or not ?

I don't have an interpretation. I play the way I want to, not to a rule set, I wouldn't take the item in your example because I don't want it.

I'm ever amazed that so many people think anyone who plays self found is playing to a rule set which says play this way and you are self found. The reality is many people are just playing the game without the slightest interest in (what I would call the evolved bastardisation of the aRPG genre through modern day communication that is) the economy and trading. The way they play is then labelled as self found. It is the play style aRPGs began with, loot finders. People played LAN and exchanged items among a 2 or 3 man static family/friend group, the item pool that was available was a little bigger but not much. As global communication grew with the internet and existing loot finders turned into Ebay and new aRPG developers such as GGG thought this actually was aRPGs design, then it all got a bit messed up.

There are people that play 100% solo, there are people who play 99% solo, there are people who isolate characters, there are people who play long term account and build characters with what they find on any character, no rules, just preferred play styles. I put solo self found in my stream title for no other reason than to reduce the number of people asking to group with me, asking for price checks, asking if I can sell them x or buy y from them, and to possibly limit the queries into why I'm doing something that isn't the optimal way to do it (but, man, do I still get asked). I'm just me, to me, I'm solo-self-found-Anu to others.

There could be a host of different terms between Iron-man and A1N-Hero, but there aren't. There is a term used a lot which is defined differently by many, it's just a term loosely describing a playstyle with many variants, that playstyle being one that has little to no interest in economy, trade, fast track PoLR. It's no achievement, no brag, nothing special, no epeen, the only people who see these things in self found are those that want to dissect and discredit.
Casually casual.

"
TheAnuhart wrote:

I'm ever amazed that so many people think anyone who plays self found is playing to a rule set which says play this way and you are self found. The reality is many people are just playing the game without the slightest interest in (what I would call the evolved bastardisation of the aRPG genre through modern day communication that is) the economy and trading. The way they play is then labelled as self found. It is the play style aRPGs began with, loot finders. People played LAN and exchanged items among a 2 or 3 man static family/friend group, the item pool that was available was a little bigger but not much. As global communication grew with the internet and existing loot finders turned into Ebay and new aRPG developers such as GGG thought this actually was aRPGs design, then it all got a bit messed up.

That has to be one the most sexiest sections I've ever seen in here. So much truth in so few words.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
You couldn't state it any more clearly, Anuhart. Really well done.

Although there will be some who STILL won't get it.
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
possibly a semantics question

Indeed.

"
grepman wrote:
but is 'self found' in your interpretation simply 'not trading' ?

I don't have an interpretation. I play the way I want to, not to a rule set, I wouldn't take the item in your example because I don't want it.

There are people that play 100% solo, there are people who play 99% solo, there are people who isolate characters, there are people who play long term account and build characters with what they find on any character, no rules, just preferred play styles. I put solo self found in my stream title for no other reason than to reduce the number of people asking to group with me, asking for price checks, asking if I can sell them x or buy y from them, and to possibly limit the queries into why I'm doing something that isn't the optimal way to do it (but, man, do I still get asked). I'm just me, to me, I'm solo-self-found-Anu to others.

There could be a host of different terms between Iron-man and A1N-Hero, but there aren't. There is a term used a lot which is defined differently by many, it's just a term loosely describing a playstyle with many variants, that playstyle being one that has little to no interest in economy, trade, fast track PoLR. It's no achievement, no brag, nothing special, no epeen, the only people who see these things in self found are those that want to dissect and discredit.

I understand all that

but ironically by having no interest in trading nor economy, you already are establishing a set of rules. I understand that your point is that there is no rules, and this is the way you like to play-
but since you dont deviate from that mindset, it becomes a de-facto 'rule'

sorry, the engineer in me looks it from pure mathematical, logical perspective

which you did provide- see it wasnt so hard to interpret. people who have no interest in global, ebay-style trading but are ok with exchanging items among the close friends/family/whatever

so to me, your playstyle doesnt adhere to set of rules, but it establishes 'rules'

to do otherwise is to admit the possibility of you waking up one day and deciding 'fuck it lets e-trade, why not ' ? and thats absolutely valid and fine- but I think you will be vehemently opposed to even the slightest possibility of that happening.
Last edited by grepman on Feb 9, 2015, 7:26:19 PM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

(what I would call the evolved bastardisation of the aRPG genre through modern day communication that is) the economy and trading.As global communication grew with the internet and existing loot finders turned into Ebay and new aRPG developers such as GGG thought this actually was aRPGs design, then it all got a bit messed up.

Games don't have to follow a linear mold. They can have varying properties and I don't understand this extreme pretentious angst people have against the game that GGG came up with.

The whole "lel ggg thought dis was how arpgs shud be lel" is so childish and petty. Because, they made the game they would want to play and ironically, just like you they did something outside the norm (which is a good thing).

I swear, self-found players don't realize how elitist they sound some times, it makes the HC vs SC player thing look like two teddy bears fighting. Like we get it, you don't use the systems of the game the way they are normally used, we really, really get it, been hearing about it forever, you guys are master of the humble brag.

anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Feb 9, 2015, 7:38:37 PM
"
grepman wrote:
I understand all that

but ironically by having no interest in trading nor economy, you already are establishing a set of rules. I understand that your point is that there is no rules, and this is the way you like to play-

which you did provide- see it wasnt so hard to interpret. people who have no interest in global, ebay-style trading but are ok with exchanging items among the close friends/family/whatever

so to me, your playstyle doesnt adhere to set of rules, but it establishes 'rules'

to do otherwise is to admit the possibility of you waking up one day and deciding 'fuck it lets e-trade, why not ' ? and thats absolutely valid and fine- but I think you will be vehemently opposed to even the slightest possibility of that happening.

I don't eat mature cheddar IRL.

I don't live by the no-mature-cheddar rule.

My not eating mature cheddar didn't establish a rule.

I just don't fucking like mature cheddar.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Feb 9, 2015, 7:37:23 PM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
I understand all that

I don't eat mature cheddar IRL.

I don't live by the no-mature-cheddar rule.

My no-mature-cheddar abstinence didn't establish a rule.

I just don't fucking like mature cheddar.

question remains the same- if one day you'll wake up and suddenly really, really want mature cheddar- will you say fuck it and just have it or think for a bit, realize that you never liked it and suppress the urge ?
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
It's no achievement, no brag, nothing special, no epeen, the only people who see these things in self found are those that want to dissect and discredit.

"
You couldn't state it any more clearly, Anuhart. Really well done.

Although there will be some who STILL won't get it.

"
Manocean wrote:
Like we get it, you don't use the systems of the game the way they are normally used we really, really get it, been hearing about it forever, you guys are master of the humble brag.

LMAO
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Feb 10, 2015, 10:26:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info