The most logical argument against legacies

another thread "please nerf what I can afford" ? really ?

GGG already answered about legacy, why bother again and again ?
With the time spent on forum to whine about it you would have already bought the legacy of your dream.
IGN TylordRampage
Those of you who think that you have to be jealous to be against legacies, your simply wrong. End of story.

"
Tiandal wrote:

For the OP;
Say if i farm for months upon months to accumulate currency to buy a legacy item and suddenly GGG nerfs them ... Should there be any better way to explain the royal pain of gigantic ass bite it causes? Your whole work for reaching a point in game becomes rendered void.

If OP is at all consistent with his opinion then he would absolutely still be against legacies even if he has them. Many of us do and are against them anyway because of our game development beliefs. Of course people who only play temporary leagues don't care one way or another.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Jan 22, 2015, 5:48:46 PM
"
ahcos wrote:
Unfortunately your logic is flawed, as in Standard, there is no competition, it's more like a single player game. Therefore, as long as legacy items do not break the single player game (which they don't, or at least not more so than their non-legacy versions), their existance doesn't change your single player experience.

Basically: your logic is flawed because you're assuming a false prerequisite (competitiveness, as playing against people instead of playing against the game). If you want your logic to hold true, you have to play temp leagues. Unfortunately, in temp leagues legacy items do not exist, which brings your logic ad absurdum.

Basically your logic is flawed, because as long as legacies exist, they will have an impact on the economy in Standard. If trading did not exist in Standard, then they would not have any impact. Chocolate syrup is way better on bananas than whipped cream.
"
Malone wrote:
another thread "please nerf what I can afford" ? really ?

GGG already answered about legacy, why bother again and again ?
With the time spent on forum to whine about it you would have already bought the legacy of your dream.

Just because your butt hole puckers at the thought of your precious pixels being altered, doesn't mean that anyone should refrain from such discussion.
Still in the alpha stage, but at least build diversity isn't an issue: https://wolcengame.com/home/
Sorry, but its total and complete bullshit that it would be any more difficult to nerf legacy uniques than it was to nerf skill gems. At least from a technical perspective. They didn't do it because they didn't want a bunch of butthurt neckbeards sending hate mail over getting their Kaom's Heart nerfed down, even though it specifically suggests in the TOU, that GGG reserves the rights to do that. Those players should take one for the greater good of the community. Their items probably won't be completely worthless. A shavs is still worth something, even a nerfed down one.

I was against legacy items when I was in possession of several. So don't give me that QQ because he can't afford them bullshit. Its just that some people aren't whiny, self centered little bitches and recognize how negative it would be to leave such items in the game. Is it realistically fair for me to tell a new player - you see this? This is an item you will never, I repeat never be able to get. Why? Because they don't fucking drop anymore, and the price is astronomical beyond the ability of 99.9% of players to ever be able to afford. Oh, herp! Derp! that's life? Am I right? Oh wait..... this isn't life, its a fucking game, and people play games to escape life, and for the sake of fairness to the community as a whole these items should be nerfed.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jan 23, 2015, 2:29:38 AM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Sorry, but its total and complete bullshit that it would be any more difficult to nerf legacy uniques than it was to nerf skill gems. At least from a technical perspective. They didn't do it because they didn't want a bunch of butthurt neckbeards sending hate mail over getting their Kaom's Heart nerfed down, even though it specifically suggests in the TOU, that GGG reserves the rights to do that. Those players should take one for the greater good of the community. Their items probably won't be completely worthless. A shavs is still worth something, even a nerfed down one.

I was against legacy items when I was in possession of several. So don't give me that QQ because he can't afford them bullshit. Its just that some people aren't whiny, self centered little bitches and recognize how negative it would be to leave such items in the game. Is it realistically fair for me to tell a new player - you see this? This is an item you will never, I repeat never be able to get. Why? Because they don't fucking drop anymore, and the price is astronomical beyond the ability of 99.9% of players to ever be able to afford. Oh, herp! Derp! that's life? Am I right? Oh wait..... this isn't life, its a fucking game, and people play games to escape life, and for the sake of fairness to the community as a whole these items should be nerfed.

If I remember correctly, skill gem's value (as in the numbers % wise or flat) are not stored in a database, so it easier to lower or increase at their discretion. Much like Atziri's Acuity and Crown of Eyes, the mods that were nerfed happen to be not stored in the database(or modifiers that do not really have numbers to be stored). Divine orbs can only update unique items that have number value ranges or be updated to the latest version that has had the value change.

So when it comes to nerfing legacy items (including rare items too because there is a whole bunch in standard league), the developers will have to dig deep into the database to configure the items manually, and there is always a possibility you can make a mistake, and making a mistake in the DB business is costly enough to have you lose your job on the spot, because there is too much at stake when involving with database. On top of that, for all the trouble to appease some players, you will get the other side of the coin, you will piss off some players or more, and possibly lose them.

Sure, GGG has every right to do it within their power, but so does the players having the right to stop supporting GGG. There is too much at risk, and for what, just to have some players be closer to other players, while the rich still giggles each day with their mirror items (some of them are legacy too). Not only that, but temporarily leagues will be a redundancy since all leagues will be balanced (not completely balanced, but loses that uniqueness). The purpose for the temporarily leagues is to give players the opportunity to make a living from the fresh economy with the items more balanced because permanent league's economy with is way over inflated, so it is a lost cause already. If you know what you are doing in the temp leagues, you can make a ton of currencies in the process, and when leagues merges, you might have even more currencies than you had from perm leagues in many years.

The cons outweigh the pros. If this was so simple, GGG would had done this a long time ago, and prevent players from being too attached to the items in the permanent leagues. Hell, GGG will continue to make legacy items because this game will never get near balanced because players figure out ways to make the items be broken, and figure out skill gem combination that would break the skills. If GGG decides to adapt the "we will remove legacy items" from game, no decent items or above will ever be safe, and having your items be updated without proper adjustment can or WILL break existing builds. That in itself make permanent league a redundancy since there is no sense of permanence anymore. Add that along with all being leagues balanced, and PoE is not PoE anymore. If ever reaches that point, I can just wait a bit more for Grim Dawn. ;)

Edit: Just to be clear, I do not support legacy items, but I find their existence as a necessary evil because of how GGG approaches the game with their items.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jan 23, 2015, 3:08:40 AM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

Edit: Just to be clear, I do not support legacy items, but I find their existence as a necessary evil because of how GGG approaches the game with their items.

I do.

Oddly enough, what I like about Legacies, is that they add an extra layer to the economy. Those *exceptionally rare items.

I know alot of people dont like this exact reason, but, alot do.
GGG - Why you no?
Last edited by JoannaDark on Jan 23, 2015, 3:38:45 AM
"
JoannaDark wrote:
I do.

It is just another way of me saying that I prefer GGG never to nerf any items whatsoever, unique items for the most part.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

To me there seem to be good arguments for and against legacy items. However, now, that there are legacies out there that changed hand for 1k ex+ it is way too late to remove them. Imagine you farmed Dominus for a couple of weeks to get that legacy Shavs just so that it is taken away in a patch. Reversing their stance on legacies at this point would be a nightmare for GGG.

Why does anyone even remotely cares about dumpster leagues anyways? It's just leagues you play a little between temporary leagues and move on. It doesn't matter what happens there, to be honest, as there's no competition unless you choose to, for some reason, to compete with people that have stacks of mirrors. In which case - good luck, you're seriously gonna need it. Even without legacies these leagues' balance is beyond saving without complete wipe. And why would you even care to do it, there are temporary goddamn leagues if you want some actual competition.

I honestly don't care about legacies one way or another, leagues they're in don't matter in the grand scheme of things at all.
OP forgets the most important piece of logic, though:

1) GGG doesn't care about permanent league balance
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info