Kickstarter Campaign for PoE's Optional Self Found League!

Count me in, Petrov. $300
Here are some arguments FOR an optional SFL (substantially from http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/854111):

1. A SFL will stimulate new and renewed interest in playing PoE
I believe that a SFL will attract many new players to PoE and also many retired players back to PoE. I feel strongly that, for very many people, systematised trading (I'm looking at you poe.xyz.is), running maps and grinding from 90-100 eventually becomes a tiresome chore. It certainly has for me and for the vast majority of my friends, who no longer play for this very reason. GGG have the data and will of course have their own views of the stickiness of PoE over time for players, but my conviction is that the introduction of a SFL will see a material net increase in PoE's player base. I believe it makes good business and gaming sense.

2. A SFL preserves the feeling of progress and accomplishment of a new league
For a wizened old player like me, a new league is wonderful. For about a week, maybe a month. After that, the new leagues feel pretty much like the standard league, whereby keeping up with the Jones' requires some combination of time sink, trading and/or RMT. The thought of a SFL, where I am able to continue to compete and compare with the community, but without the drudgery of trading (etc) fills me with great excitement.

3. A SFL encourages players to explore the skill tree
PoE is predominantly about gear. In a SFL, players will have to build around what they find, not what they want to trade for. It will force players to build around their drops. Suddenly people find a decent rare or a mid-tier unique which, in any other league, would rot in their stash or become vendor trash, and they will build around it to develop their own long term progress. This sounds super fun to me.

4. Playing self-found in a normal league is not the same as a SFL
I do not believe playing self found by yourself on a regular league is anything like playing in a SFL. The reason is that the desire to compete and compare in online games and within online communities is central to most players' enjoyment of playing an online game like PoE. It is my belief that playing self found within a trading league is far less rewarding or fulfilling as a game experience than playing in a proper SFL.

5. Fears of splitting the community are not a sound reason not to implement an otherwise good idea
If this is the fundamental fear of a SFL, then it is the wrong reason not to implement one in my view. A SFL league provides a tangibly different gaming experience, in a similar way that HC provides a different gaming experience to SC. Progress is progress - if SFL is a good idea then it will succeed. I believe GGG are vastly underestimating the potential interest in a SFL, particularly from non-PoE players and retired PoE players. Why is it not worth at least testing a SFL, let's say a month or two into the new 4 month leagues when player interest starts to wane, or between 4 month leagues?

Here is some data supporting the player base's desire for an optional SFL:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/859786

Petrov.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Jan 10, 2015, 8:03:05 AM
Why?
You want self found because?
You are not interacting with anyone so much of the game is pointless
You think the economy is screwed(it may well be) and feel the need to trade
If you play solo self found in any league you will not be effected by any of this
All i've seen is people want more drops and they are pushing self found as a way to try get it...they have already said many times that standard will be the base line...a self found league would not be any different from standard other than not being able to trade.

So again why.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Why?
You want self found because?
You are not interacting with anyone so much of the game is pointless
You think the economy is screwed(it may well be) and feel the need to trade
If you play solo self found in any league you will not be effected by any of this
All i've seen is people want more drops and they are pushing self found as a way to try get it...they have already said many times that standard will be the base line...a self found league would not be any different from standard other than not being able to trade.

So again why.

For me? Probably the greatest appeal of an optional but indefinite SFL would be point 2 in my post above.

P.
Yes please, im in!
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
I'd support the cause.
I would not support it, because GGG promised "paid leagues".
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
mrpetrov wrote:
Here are some arguments FOR an optional SFL (substantially from http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/854111):

1. A SFL will stimulate new and renewed interest in playing PoE
I believe that a SFL will attract many new players to PoE and also many retired players back to PoE. I feel strongly that, for very many people, systematised trading (I'm looking at you poe.xyz.is), running maps and grinding from 90-100 eventually becomes a tiresome chore. It certainly has for me and for the vast majority of my friends, who no longer play for this very reason. GGG have the data and will of course have their own views of the stickiness of PoE over time for players, but my conviction is that the introduction of a SFL will see a material net increase in PoE's player base. I believe it makes good business and gaming sense.

2. A SFL preserves the feeling of progress and accomplishment of a new league
For a wizened old player like me, a new league is wonderful. For about a week, maybe a month. After that, the new leagues feel pretty much like the standard league, whereby keeping up with the Jones' requires some combination of time sink, trading and/or RMT. The thought of a SFL, where I am able to continue to compete and compare with the community, but without the drudgery of trading (etc) fills me with great excitement.

3. A SFL encourages players to explore the skill tree
PoE is predominantly about gear. In a SFL, players will have to build around what they find, not what they want to trade for. It will force players to build around their drops. Suddenly people find a decent rare or a mid-tier unique which, in any other league, would rot in their stash or become vendor trash, and they will build around it to develop their own long term progress. This sounds super fun to me.

4. Playing self-found in a normal league is not the same as a SFL
I do not believe playing self found by yourself on a regular league is anything like playing in a SFL. The reason is that the desire to compete and compare in online games and within online communities is central to most players' enjoyment of playing an online game like PoE. It is my belief that playing self found within a trading league is far less rewarding or fulfilling as a game experience than playing in a proper SFL.

5. Fears of splitting the community are not a sound reason not to implement an otherwise good idea
If this is the fundamental fear of a SFL, then it is the wrong reason not to implement one in my view. A SFL league provides a tangibly different gaming experience, in a similar way that HC provides a different gaming experience to SC. Progress is progress - if SFL is a good idea then it will succeed. I believe GGG are vastly underestimating the potential interest in a SFL, particularly from non-PoE players and retired PoE players. Why is it not worth at least testing a SFL, let's say a month or two into the new 4 month leagues when player interest starts to wane, or between 4 month leagues?

Here is some data supporting the player base's desire for an optional SFL:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/859786

Petrov.

Isnt "optional" the essential part of POE already? You can do dominus or map grind forever, you can trade or decide not to, you can party or not, and yes, you can play self found or decide not to do that because thats the definition of the word "optional".
"
VictorDoom wrote:
Yes please, im in!

You do realize that A: we got a poll some time ago for this and that B: we got a thread in suggestion for this?

PS: This whole thread is a suggestion anyways and a duplicate one at that so support, do your job and either lock this or move it to suggestions and lock the other one.
"

Isnt "optional" the essential part of POE already? You can do dominus or map grind forever, you can trade or decide not to, you can party or not, and yes, you can play self found or decide not to do that because thats the definition of the word "optional".

Howdy Dirk!

In response to your point (which is validly made), please see point 4 in my post above that you quoted.

I don't claim to make this point as an objective observation - it's my subjective view (of course). If you feel that playing self-found in a trade-enabled league is as fun and fulfilling as playing/comparing/competing in a dedicated SFL, then that's great for you - but it's not how I feel.

P.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info