Kickstarter Campaign for PoE's Optional Self Found League!

"

Isnt "optional" the essential part of POE already? You can do dominus or map grind forever, you can trade or decide not to, you can party or not, and yes, you can play self found or decide not to do that because thats the definition of the word "optional".

Howdy Dirk!

In response to your point (which is validly made), please see point 4 in my post above that you quoted.

I don't claim to make this point as an objective observation - it's my subjective view (of course). If you feel that playing self-found in a trade-enabled league is as fun and fulfilling as playing/comparing/competing in a dedicated SFL, then that's great for you - but it's not how I feel.

P.

PS: This is not a suggestion thread Dirk. Your comedy-in-response kickstarter threads are just spam in my view and should be locked?
Last edited by mrpetrov on Jan 10, 2015, 8:29:02 AM
"
"
VictorDoom wrote:
Yes please, im in!

You do realize that A: we got a poll some time ago for this and that B: we got a thread in suggestion for this?

PS: This whole thread is a suggestion anyways and a duplicate one at that so support, do your job and either lock this or move it to suggestions and lock the other one.

I know, i dont understand your problem though, quite a lot of players are willing to donate to ggg to make a self found league, dont like? dont donate, dont play it. And its not a dupilcate, this one is about kickstarter, youre being quite a negative nancy for some reason.
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Jan 10, 2015, 8:31:50 AM
"
mrpetrov wrote:
"

Isnt "optional" the essential part of POE already? You can do dominus or map grind forever, you can trade or decide not to, you can party or not, and yes, you can play self found or decide not to do that because thats the definition of the word "optional".

Howdy Dirk!

In response to your point (which is validly made), please see point 4 in my post above that you quoted.

I don't claim to make this point as an objective observation - it's my subjective view (of course). If you feel that playing self-found in a trade-enabled league is as fun and fulfilling as playing/comparing/competing in a dedicated SFL, then that's great for you - but it's not how I feel.

P.

PS: This is not a suggestion thread Dirk. Your comedy-in-response kickstarter threads are just spam in my view and should be locked?

Well its not a real kickstarter either or it would be on one of those sites that collect money for a cause.

And what exactly do you want? Better drop rate? A ladder? Partying allowed or not? Should it be SC or HC or do you want both? These questions were never made quite clear by everyone who said they want a SFL, it was all over the place actually. Do you expect that GGG makes a different SFL for every player then since all tastes are different in what it should be like? DO you want to split up the player base even more?
Dirk, I think I'm pretty clear in the OP that it's no strings attached from my perspective - it's GGG's game and it's their vision for a SFL that I'm prepared to support financially, sight unseen.

P.
"
mrpetrov wrote:
Dirk, I think I'm pretty clear in the OP that it's no strings attached from my perspective - it's GGG's game and it's their vision for a SFL that I'm prepared to support financially, sight unseen.

P.

Thats the thing though, they dont have a "vision" for a SFL because they dont want one. Cutthroat is on the table of leagues to come but SFL was never a league mentioned by GGG at all ever. neither does it make sense to maintain 2 SFLs with support and server space and patches. The whole balancing would have to be done differently and the whole drop rate would also have to be different so patches wouldnt be global but SFL specific. Why would GGG cave and give 100 people a SFL if these 100 people can play the now seolf found D3? Losing 100 people isnt much, so i doubt GGG would do this just to keep the players that want it.
"
"
mrpetrov wrote:

P.

Thats the thing though, they dont have a "vision" for a SFL because they dont want one. Cutthroat is on the table of leagues to come but SFL was never a league mentioned by GGG at all ever. neither does it make sense to maintain 2 SFLs with support and server space and patches. The whole balancing would have to be done differently and the whole drop rate would also have to be different so patches wouldnt be global but SFL specific. Why would GGG cave and give 100 people a SFL if these 100 people can play the now seolf found D3? Losing 100 people isnt much, so i doubt GGG would do this just to keep the players that want it.

All your points about the viability and whether or not it "makes sense" are exactly why a kickstarter campaign to financially support its development may be worthwhile. You are also grossly underestimating the support in the community for it, the on-line poll had:

1714 respondents
66% in favour of testing an optional SFL
19% not in favour of testing an optional SFL
15% maybe in favour, depending on the details

P.
Some thoughts from someone on the fence about whether he would play this league or not (Me):

I mostly play self found. I also play casually; on and off since closed beta. Occasionally I find something I know has value, and I trade it for a stack of orbs, so I can go back to rolling a helmet with 20 chaos orbs in hopes of getting a decent roll.

That is the extent of my trading.

As a mostly self found player, I am pretty reliant on parties if I every want to get far; though for the most part, I play solo, or with a single friend who also doesn't trade.

Our main reason for not trading, is that trade chat is a nuthouse. IT is silly that I need to log onto a PoE trading site, look up the item I want, check to see if the vendor is online, and then go back online to buy that item. Trade chat is a mess.

I would fully support an auction house! yay, lets beat that horse for a while!

In a self found league, I think it would be really upsetting of me and my friend were playing together, and I found a piece of gear that is amazing for him and useless to me, and I couldn't give it to him. There would need to be a small window to trade items to people who were there when they dropped.

I also think that item drop rates should not be increased; I think it would be much more fun if they were decreased, but currency drops were increased. Since currency cannot be traded, it would have to be used. Call it a "crafting league" or something. Hell, do that anyways, even if it isnt self found.

TLDR: Self found would be neat, but would need a lot of little things changes to make more than a thousand people try it. A crafting league without trading would be fun too. As would an auction house of sorts, and the removal of trade chat.

I am FOR everything! If it makes people happy, no one but GGG has the right to say "no". Anyone against it simply does not have to play in it; just like anyone against trading simply does not have to trade. Fun concept!
"
morbo wrote:
I would not support it, because GGG promised "paid leagues".

Do we get paid to play in that league or do we have to pay to play in that league? :P

I think I'd play in an SFL - but since I can and do play mostly SF (bought an 18% gem once and might've taken the odd levelling rare from the guild stash) in any league, because I don't compete with others (which, I understand, is not everyone's cup of tea), I don't really yearn for it.
It'd be interesting to see the SFL's ladder, though. I guess. Especially seeing how fast people are progressing in such a league.

Moreover, SFL does not mean solo, right? Someone in this thread seems to understand it that way. That'd really be pointless, IMO.

Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
totalbackline wrote:
"

They already did a SFL temp league thing and no one wanted it, so why should they add something for just a few people that dont want to play D3 and that cant get their hands off trade chat? Seriously, get your shit together and just dont trade. Its like getting just not laid when you go out, if you dont want it, dont do it.

Wow Dirk believed Boem. You know that SFL thing your now sprouting about was never actually sanctioned, it was purely just a Kripp thing. You can now leave this SF thread and every other SF thread forever now you puppet.

Maybe get your fact's straight yourself.

Kripp started the "melee only" mode within that solo one week race. With some additional rules to increase the challenge and to see how melee was doing in that state of the game since yes, even then, there was a lot of a hassle concerning the state of melee.

But it was a one week solo race event. Thus coming the closest to something resembling an SFL to date.

Peace,

-Boem-

on-topic : i would play this purely for the ladder.

I would imagine, bot's and rmt would be unable to take a foothold in such a league, RNG would be even more prevalent (thus more challenge/stress on designed build etc).

I can only donate in spirit do :'), but i have never been for or against an SFL. For me it would just be "another kind of challenge" to participate in.

Sfl for me means the game like it is, with it's current drop-rates btw. I need no fancy orb increased drops or stuff.

I will note, that the core game does not "lend" itself to an SFL league petrov, the game is to rapidly changing to support what i consider to be a "long endurance" league.
This is already troublesome to a lot of SC/HC league players, now imagine the stress on players without trade available to them?

While not "concept killing" it is something to take into consideration.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit :

"
Glorn2 wrote:

In a self found league, I think it would be really upsetting of me and my friend were playing together, and I found a piece of gear that is amazing for him and useless to me, and I couldn't give it to him. There would need to be a small window to trade items to people who were there when they dropped.

This is exactly what trading enables. Between friends or players that have never met before. It's a valid point, but in the light of an SFL it would be a L2P issue. Joining such a league when this bothers you would be unwise to say the least :').

edit2 : typo's
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Jan 10, 2015, 8:54:56 AM
"
mrpetrov wrote:
"
"
mrpetrov wrote:

P.

All your points about the viability and whether or not it "makes sense" are exactly why a kickstarter campaign to financially support its development may be worthwhile. You are also grossly underestimating the support in the community for it, the on-line poll had:

1714 respondents
66% in favour of testing an optional SFL
19% not in favour of testing an optional SFL
15% maybe in favour, depending on the details

P.

How many "respondents" are actually different people? See, thats why voting on the internet never works because of alt accounts and multiple votes by the same people.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info