Until melee is fixed, a lot of people will not comeback.

"
"
Tuercis wrote:
Could be wrong, but I'm guessing that they are keen to keep melee players at a minimum, simply because playing melee shows up the desync in the system. More ranged players = less complaints/criticism about desync.

More like this is a nice side effect of where the metagame has gone. I've submitted a LOT of feedback on Whirling Blades over the years now, and it's still a desync/collision detection nightmare.

Here's how I handle the melee/ranged thing: I do my own thing, and if I enjoy it, that's that. I have both ranged and melee chars, each as creative and lame as the last, so it's not as if I lock myself into a style that essentially doesn't suit where this game has ended up.

Ground slam was already pushing it, but Reave and Spectral Throw pretty much clinched what GGG consider acceptable usage of 'melee' weapons.

Well, at least SOMEBODY is being vocal about whirling desync. I've lost many HC characters during leveling due to this shitty gem creating desync. I basically don't use it anymore except as a way to move around open areas without losing as much mana from AA.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jan 5, 2015, 6:37:26 AM
Hi

LOL Whirling blades/leap slam/shield charge=

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
"
teacherpeter wrote:
It's just so hard to think of how they could begin to rebalance everything around making melee as efficient at killing and surviving as ranged characters. More Life leech and life gain on hit, boost the armor nodes and the efficiency of resistance nodes, maybe?

The problem is pretty basic:

Melee and Ranged are both susceptible to the same forms of damage. Regardless of whether Ranged or Melee, both are capable of reaching the same level of defense. Both can reach the same Raw HP, ES, eHP, etc.

The problem is that Melee is naturally in a position to take more damage than their Ranged counterpart. In the battle of risk vs reward, Ranged takes the least risk for the same reward whereas Melee takes the most risk for the same reward.

So when the effectiveness of both classes is theoretically the same, which would you pick: The one with the least or the most risk? Obviously the least, which is Ranged.
There's no real incentive to play Melee aside from aesthetics or generally liking that specific playstyle. That's the problem.

The solution would be to properly spec based on the role taken.
Seeing as how Ranged has low risk, it should also have relatively lower reward.
Seeing as how Melee has the highest risk, it should also have relatively higher reward.

The problem for GGG is dividing up nodes and adding more conditionals. EG:

Heart of Soul (whatever)
+12% HP / + 15% Armor when using a melee weapon or unarmed
+8% HP / + 10% Armor when using a ranged weapon
If you're reading this, I'm probably on another year-long ban.
Thanks GGG.
"
casval776 wrote:

Heart of Soul (whatever)

Doesn't work though with their system.

Staves and maces (that nifty fire based unique one in particular) are commonly found on casters. Spectral Throw turns any melee weapon into a ranged one. And there's the Point Blank shot stuff that encourages people with ranged weapons to get up close, as well as PB AoE spells (Ice Nova, Righteous Fire, etc) that could be used with "ranged" weapons like wands. The downside of the open system they've created.

Overall, probably the simplest solution for them would be to adjust how armor works. Make it work like says, hard hit or not, and then apply something like 1/4th of it to elemental hits to take the edge of those. Since armor is buried in the marauder section for the most part, it would mostly benefit melees. A caster wouldn't want to invest that many points. The downside: it wouldn't help dex-based melees.

I could also see them adding some flat hp to certain weapon nodes. +10 hp here, +20 hp there, it would provide a nice boost to base hp if you invest in melee nodes, and that would then be boosted by the hp % nodes.

Of course, what I'd really like to see them do is reduce caps to 50%, adjust mob damage and equipment accordingly, and then, now that they have that extra room to play with, add some +max resist nodes in the melee areas, attached to things a melee is likely to take. Would cost too much for a ranged type to invest in, but provide a melee with some nice boosts to make up for having to be close.
Cut the damage of anything with AoE by 30% at all levels.

Cut the damage of any projectiles by 30%.

Make these adjustments multiplicative for projectile AoE skills.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.
Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Jan 5, 2015, 8:25:50 PM
"
Finkenstein wrote:
Hi

LOL Whirling blades/leap slam/shield charge

cheers

Yeah, well it's never going to get fixed if you ignore the problem.
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
"
Axterix13 wrote:
"
casval776 wrote:

Heart of Soul (whatever)

Doesn't work though with their system.

Staves and maces (that nifty fire based unique one in particular) are commonly found on casters. Spectral Throw turns any melee weapon into a ranged one. And there's the Point Blank shot stuff that encourages people with ranged weapons to get up close, as well as PB AoE spells (Ice Nova, Righteous Fire, etc) that could be used with "ranged" weapons like wands. The downside of the open system they've created.

Overall, probably the simplest solution for them would be to adjust how armor works. Make it work like says, hard hit or not, and then apply something like 1/4th of it to elemental hits to take the edge of those. Since armor is buried in the marauder section for the most part, it would mostly benefit melees. A caster wouldn't want to invest that many points. The downside: it wouldn't help dex-based melees.

I could also see them adding some flat hp to certain weapon nodes. +10 hp here, +20 hp there, it would provide a nice boost to base hp if you invest in melee nodes, and that would then be boosted by the hp % nodes.

Of course, what I'd really like to see them do is reduce caps to 50%, adjust mob damage and equipment accordingly, and then, now that they have that extra room to play with, add some +max resist nodes in the melee areas, attached to things a melee is likely to take. Would cost too much for a ranged type to invest in, but provide a melee with some nice boosts to make up for having to be close.

It works fine if you add a small %life to all melee physical damage nodes, or +x life like you suggested.
-----
Bug Fixes:
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jan 6, 2015, 6:44:40 AM
"
"
Enzari wrote:
Mind giving your build? How do we know it's not just your build that's terrible?

How could 98 lvl suck in defence or dps? How it could ber terrible? Its 98 lvl goddamit

I was playing melee too, I have been playing melee for very long like 3/5 of the whole time, melee is my favourite play stile. Was. Untill I understood melee is shit and I made a bow ranger. Ranged toon vs melle toon is like God vs mortal human. I will never play melee again here. No matter of the nerfes they do to coc, bow gems, whatever, I will play ranged or I will just not play at all

My thoughts exactly. I usually always play the typical melee warrior in ARPGs but I had to give up on my Melee Marauder in PoE because I was still too squishy so I started playing a range character as well. I always had the impression that the only thing that really help is to use a legacy Kaom's Heart.
Tech guy
Last edited by Warrax on Jan 6, 2015, 12:38:07 PM
want to give melee identity and something 'special'? sure:

life/mana leech (from the tree and affixes, not gem) applies ONLY to 'melee attacks'. this leaves ranged /bow + ST/ with L/MGOH or using up link for Life/Mana Leech gem.

brutal? maybe. but that would immediately gave melee a clear differentiating factor over ranged and ranged something to think about (like maybe some of them would actually pick mana nodes?)

leeching is uber-powerful mechanic, limiting it to melee (for the 'free' forms - tree/gear) should be enough
You can already get leech on melee and ranged already doesn't need it. Instant kills are the main issue. In order for melee to be viable it needs a bigger buffer.
-----
Bug Fixes:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info