Melee is the worst bullshit ever in poe

I'd play melee if desync was fixed.

Flicker Striking half the map away into a pack of Magic Voidbearers - legit.
Cycloning the same mob 6 times but it's really 3 screens away - legit.
Static Striking a mob with ridiculous APS while doing 0 damage - legit.

If you're reading this, I'm probably on another year-long ban.
Thanks GGG.
"

When This game was advertised, they where so proud of the diversity of builds, But nowadays how much people play Ranged instead of Melee?

GGG killed diversity when they introduced easy dps skills and nerfed core melee defenses (life,regen,armor,block).

GGG doesn't restrict builds directly to what nodes they get in the tree, so block was nerfed to require heavier investment in all aspects, this was necessary as block is the best form of defenses in the game (aside from offscreening mobs, which isn't always possible)

What do you mean easy DPS skills?

Life is basically the same as its always been, while the % nodes are less the life per level is more to compensate, you really only see a large difference with legacy kaoms heart.

Regen is basically the same too, hell life flask are better then ever now. Not sure where you got regen is worst from. Armor has always been pretty shitty, again this has been nothing but buffed.

Why do people play ranged, well because you can stack the SAME defenses while being safer from damage. So why not?

There are plenty of builds you can do, while the statement of melee being at a disadvantage, this is pretty natural for games like this, some improvements can be made, but this isn't as large of a deal as people are really making it out to be. I've played with quite a few people happy with their melee builds. Go onto these here forums under all of the classes and search for updated 1.3 builds, notice there are quite a few builds, some melee, some spells, some ranged, some trappers, some low life, ect.

As for @casval776 desync can never be "fixed" bind a macro and learn to know when and why it happens. I know the first 2 skills are known to be very desyncy, but the last one I haven't seen to much of.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
The block nerf restricted melee more than it was already.

"but they gave back"

Counter Gems were carrots on a stick, as represented by the first person to respond to this post with his hilarious use of the counter gems to describe a pointless point that points nowhere specifically pointlessly... kind of like a carrot actually.....hmm.

They raised the block investment to a point where you would lose more damage than ever as a melee character than the counter gems could ever possibly compensate for; then after that they nerfed the counter gems so that not all of them could work with Facebreakers -> the only true melee build that doesn't get punished /too hard/ damage wise for attempting to make the defensive character required to go into the content that ranged characters one shot or prolif 2 screens away (i don't want to hear reflect counter-arguments, it's bullshit.)

There's too many things wrong with melee, There's nothing being delivered that fixes it, In fact; here's a brief history of Path of Exile's recent update agenda...

Nerf->Mirror Arrow
(cuz of it's use with minion passives.)

Nerf->Flame Blast
(I mean "pretend" to nerf flame blast. It was a 20% dmg reduction v _ v)

Nerf Melee-> Bloodlines and Torment
(these leagues turned many of the few "melee" diehards into meta-wagon try-outs)

Nerf Melee-> Way to shaft block
(I don't need to recount how negatively this affected melee; the damage boost that came with it did not compensate a thing. There was simply no reason to nerf this, rip bringer of rain *salute*)

Nerf Melee-> Acrobatics..
(This kinda ties in with the block nerf... It's not like archers were getting much block to begin with...)

Nerf Melee-> Bringer of Rain
(3rd? 4th? 5th? Nerf)

Nerf Melee-> Stun Threshold
(melee stun builds just got rocked HEAVILY out of nowhere. It's not like stun builds didn't already have the hard counter of "unwavering" mobs like Atziri and 30% of the rares you encounter. . . I suppose it was just too efficient in the meta to go unchecked. Crit Multi was already a better/badder version of Stun Threshold anyways; (and those numbers (while crit multi also received a recent nerf, the amount of nodes and the numbers on those nodes are also much higher now than the stun numbers or the abundance of stun nodes were...) why...? seriously...? why.......it's also important to note that this nerf also came around the time of the release of the Crag Head Quiver http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Craghead WHICH is essentially two and half maces worth of stun stats ... yeah.. it's an underrated quiver.)

Nerf-> Crit Multi
(Oh, well thank god the Abyssus helmet is still good enough offensively that melee can actually kill themselves just by using it)

Buff Melee?-> Cyclone becomes exploitable
(you can no longer name lock, but you can now cast cyclone at your feet and if you have the distance to travel and frame perfect clicking you can actually exploit cyclone now to do more attacks per second than it should normally be capable of doing...? atleast it fixed a little desync..? Before you get me wrong this is not as exploitable as it seems, it's extremely difficult to find and stay in that sweet spot where cyclone "resets" faster than it normally attacks simply because you're constantly moving no matter what and this truth is even more apparent when you realize your targets do also, even more so when you're also constantly moving... so.. buff? nah.. not the way people make it seem lol.)

Nerf Melee-> Frenzy
(Frenzy was nerfed by more than 50% if no one noticed)

Buff Spells-> THE ERA OF THE ECHO
(alot of previously underutilized and crap damage spells (aside from Ethereal Knives and Shock Nova) got big boosts in their base damages. Shockwave totems and Ice Spear being amongs the most effected. Freeze pulse was up there, too. Freeze Pulse was already strong; having really high casts per second aswell as moderately high critical strike chance along with decent base damage and extremely good synergy with shock and LMP. All the buffs came to a head with the release of spell echo which drove self-casting back into a seat in the hall of metas.

Buff Ranged-> Global Archer buff
(Huge Rebalance, including ranged items, uniques of said items, and nearly every passive point associated to making archer characters legitimately strong as fuck offensively)

Nerf Melee-> Life Specialization
(This nerf to life specs completely destroyed armor specs; life became vastly abundant with levels rather than with passives and thus this made it so all classes just got the same EHP...Don't get me wrong, it's still possible to allocate 80+ passives into life; but all you're left with is a Spell Caster at that point -> Righteous Fire. That is.. if you want to do any sort of dps.)

Buff Dual-Wielding-> wow
(a melee specific buff... the damage went up a little bit... more attack speed, and with the huge nerf to block, it became more apparent that this should be the way every melee character goes... screw doing less damage with a much larger and slower weapon, screw taking more damage with a much larger and useless shield, just do more damage and sustain the damage you take by off-handing a blood seeker or blocking more damage than shields with an ungil's, cuz that's how things should work right?)

(stop nerfing the bringer of rain...)

BUFF FIRE SPELLS-> THE DAY ELEMENTAL PROLIFERATION BECAME META
Elemental damage and fire damage was now buffed not only to increase the base damage of fire abilities but it also increased the amount the target burned for if ignited by those fire abilities. This wasn't limited to spells, melee and range could and can pull it off, too, however it was and is just much easier and rewarding to use spells to proliferate ignites. and.. ranged is closer to spell's ignite efficiency than melee is... Comparing Burning Arrow Chin Sol Traps to Face Breaker Infernal Blow Explosion Prolif and Quill Rain EE Explosive Arrow to Dual Strike Herald of Ash Crit Prolif. Also, another reason why spells are an optimal choice is because weapon elemental damage doesn't increase ignite damage in the same way that elemental damage does.

Nerf Minions->

Nerf Melee->

Nerf Minions.

Nerf Melee.

Nerf Melee-> Spectral Throw
(Spectral Throw became super abused through the use of scumbag builds: Low Life builds...so it got checked.. now it's still /alright/ for scumbag builds but it's even worse to an actual melee character who isn't stacking aps and ele damage than it was before)

Buff Melee-> Spectral Throw
(Alright... so.. yeah.. Spectral Throw isn't a melee ability, it's very very ranged, more ranged than a lot of spells in the game with an appropriate amount of faster projectile increases... not really a melee buff... but it could be used with melee weapons..)

Nerf Minions.

Nerf Melee.

and a long, long time ago...
back when melee needed something to bring it up to par...
this one unquestionable buff happened to them....

Buff Melee -> Multistrike..
(in the before time there was an actual melee buff that was never revoked...count your lucky star..)

Why Do_odle? Why is melee shoved back while ranged is hoisted up?

The answer might just be simpler than you think.

Allow me to present this two part simile; Melee is to poor as Ranged is to rich.

Ranged has more value... More Customization options.. but most importantly less desync notability..

Melee is ugly for the game's appearance, like a stinking hobo, in many videos you can instantly notice when desync happens, and when playing the game, desync is very apparent..

My personal opinion is that GGG purposefully push melee into the background so that the game seems more presentable. Less people will stream melee... thus making it harder to advertise the obvious engine flaws. This seems like the most logical reason to continue nerfing melee as hard as they do.

I can't really say it's a bad idea.. although if it is true then transparency would make it more understandable... Hopefully with upcoming netcode changes GGG will be able to bring melee into the picture with reasons of balance, rather than reasons of representation.

There's no other reason to me to expect that melee was or is strong enough to be receiving these one-sided sweeps. Unless, the game has just become far too easy for ranged or spell casters.. this is another theory that could very well be true.. Maybe GGG are keeping melee down just to give the truly hardcore players a hardcore or rather more difficult experience...

In conclusion... Melee's not bad, it's just mediocre, and the reason why it remains mediocre is obscure and we can only make educated guesses.

Last edited by Do_odle on Apr 12, 2015, 3:16:13 PM
Yeah I looked at the melee "buffs" for act4 like lower mana cost for cyclone (still stupid to run on mana) and fortify (cool I can deal 70% of my current dps for 25% more survivability :D)

Not running melee in the new league-it's now strictly for absolute noobs or stubborn tryhards. I always mained melee but tried ts and firetrap in the 1m leagues...it's like playing a different game. Easiest poe I've ever played.
To me biggest melee problem is dsync, frustating at higher levels. Whirling blades useless to use thanks to it.
"
lolozori wrote:

I too agree with op
With average gears a ranged will perform 100% better with 100% less investment in tree or items.

When This game was advertised, they where so proud of the diversity of builds, But nowadays how much people play Ranged instead of Melee?

GGG killed diversity when they introduced easy dps skills and nerfed core melee defenses (life,regen,armor,block).

It is easier to play a scion or a witch melee, using ES or ST than playing the stereotype life based warrior in this game unless you have a legacy Kaom or hybrid melee+rf.

"
Quantume wrote:
I'd play melee if every offensive melee/weapon dmg node had half the percentage gain in life too,
and determination aura had also the armor percentage buff dmg and life,
default melee range set to +3,
and the entire hitbox bumping reduced by 99%,
or if the game changed that whole design into something like teamfortress2,
where you can't overlap each other, so enemies kinda bump off you, but won't block your movement.

Melee sucks.

"
Do_odle wrote:

"but they gave back"

Counter Gems were carrots on a stick, as represented by the first person to respond to this post with his hilarious use of the counter gems to describe a pointless point that points nowhere specifically pointlessly... kind of like a carrot actually.....hmm.

They raised the block investment to a point where you would lose more damage than ever as a melee character than the counter gems could ever possibly compensate for; then after that they nerfed the counter gems so that not all of them could work with Facebreakers -> the only true melee build that doesn't get punished /too hard/ damage wise for attempting to make the defensive character required to go into the content that ranged characters one shot or prolif 2 screens away (i don't want to hear reflect counter-arguments, it's bullshit.)

There's too many things wrong with melee, There's nothing being delivered that fixes it, In fact; here's a brief history of Path of Exile's recent update agenda...

Nerf->Mirror Arrow

Nerf->Flame Blast

(these leagues turned many of the few "melee" diehards into meta-wagon try-outs)

(I don't need to recount how negatively this affected melee; the damage boost that came with it did not compensate a thing. There was simply no reason to nerf this, rip bringer of rain *salute*)

(This kinda ties in with the block nerf... It's not like archers were getting much block to begin with...)

(3rd? 4th? 5th? Nerf)

(melee stun builds just got rocked HEAVILY out of nowhere. It's not like stun builds didn't already have the hard counter of "unwavering" mobs like Atziri and 30% of the rares you encounter. . . I suppose it was just too efficient in the meta to go unchecked. Crit Multi was already a better/badder version of Stun Threshold anyways; (and those numbers (while crit multi also received a recent nerf, the amount of nodes and the numbers on those nodes are also much higher now than the stun numbers or the abundance of stun nodes were...) why...? seriously...? why.......it's also important to note that this nerf also came around the time of the release of the Crag Head Quiver http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Craghead WHICH is essentially two and half maces worth of stun stats ... yeah.. it's an underrated quiver.)

Nerf-> Crit Multi
(Oh, well thank god the Abyssus helmet is still good enough offensively that melee can actually kill themselves just by using it)

(you can no longer name lock, but you can now cast cyclone at your feet and if you have the distance to travel and frame perfect clicking you can actually exploit cyclone now to do more attacks per second than it should normally be capable of doing...? atleast it fixed a little desync..? Before you get me wrong this is not as exploitable as it seems, it's extremely difficult to find and stay in that sweet spot where cyclone "resets" faster than it normally attacks simply because you're constantly moving no matter what and this truth is even more apparent when you realize your targets do also, even more so when you're also constantly moving... so.. buff? nah.. not the way people make it seem lol.)

Nerf Melee-> Frenzy

(alot of previously underutilized and crap damage spells (aside from Ethereal Knives and Shock Nova) got big boosts in their base damages. Shockwave totems and Ice Spear being amongs the most effected. Freeze pulse was up there, too. Freeze Pulse was already strong; having really high casts per second aswell as moderately high critical strike chance along with decent base damage and extremely good synergy with shock and LMP. All the buffs came to a head with the release of spell echo which drove self-casting back into a seat in the hall of metas.

(Huge Rebalance, including ranged items, uniques of said items, and nearly every passive point associated to making archer characters legitimately strong as fuck offensively)

(This nerf to life specs completely destroyed armor specs; life became vastly abundant with levels rather than with passives and thus this made it so all classes just got the same EHP...Don't get me wrong, it's still possible to allocate 80+ passives into life; but all you're left with is a Spell Caster at that point -> Righteous Fire. That is.. if you want to do any sort of dps.)

Buff Dual-Wielding-> wow
(a melee specific buff... the damage went up a little bit... more attack speed, and with the huge nerf to block, it became more apparent that this should be the way every melee character goes... screw doing less damage with a much larger and slower weapon, screw taking more damage with a much larger and useless shield, just do more damage and sustain the damage you take by off-handing a blood seeker or blocking more damage than shields with an ungil's, cuz that's how things should work right?)

Elemental damage and fire damage was now buffed not only to increase the base damage of fire abilities but it also increased the amount the target burned for if ignited by those fire abilities. This wasn't limited to spells, melee and range could and can pull it off, too, however it was and is just much easier and rewarding to use spells to proliferate ignites. and.. ranged is closer to spell's ignite efficiency than melee is... Comparing Burning Arrow Chin Sol Traps to Face Breaker Infernal Blow Explosion Prolif and Quill Rain EE Explosive Arrow to Dual Strike Herald of Ash Crit Prolif. Also, another reason why spells are an optimal choice is because weapon elemental damage doesn't increase ignite damage in the same way that elemental damage does.

Nerf Minions->

Nerf Melee->

Nerf Minions.

Nerf Melee.

(Spectral Throw became super abused through the use of scumbag builds: Low Life builds...so it got checked.. now it's still /alright/ for scumbag builds but it's even worse to an actual melee character who isn't stacking aps and ele damage than it was before)

(Alright... so.. yeah.. Spectral Throw isn't a melee ability, it's very very ranged, more ranged than a lot of spells in the game with an appropriate amount of faster projectile increases... not really a melee buff... but it could be used with melee weapons..)

Nerf Minions.

Nerf Melee.

(in the before time there was an actual melee buff that was never revoked...count your lucky star..)

Allow me to present this two part simile; Melee is to poor as Ranged is to rich.

Ranged has more value... More Customization options.. but most importantly less desync notability..

Melee is ugly for the game's appearance, like a stinking hobo, in many videos you can instantly notice when desync happens, and when playing the game, desync is very apparent..

My personal opinion is that GGG purposefully push melee into the background so that the game seems more presentable. Less people will stream melee... thus making it harder to advertise the obvious engine flaws. This seems like the most logical reason to continue nerfing melee as hard as they do.

I can't really say it's a bad idea.. although if it is true then transparency would make it more understandable... Hopefully with upcoming netcode changes GGG will be able to bring melee into the picture with reasons of balance, rather than reasons of representation.

There's no other reason to me to expect that melee was or is strong enough to be receiving these one-sided sweeps. Unless, the game has just become far too easy for ranged or spell casters.. this is another theory that could very well be true.. Maybe GGG are keeping melee down just to give the truly hardcore players a hardcore or rather more difficult experience...

In conclusion... Melee's not bad, it's just mediocre, and the reason why it remains mediocre is obscure and we can only make educated guesses.

This! GGG check it
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
Last edited by TreeOfDead on Jun 4, 2015, 12:05:43 PM
Firstly I have to say, I disagree entirely with "melee being the worst bullshit ever in poe". (I’m thinking fourth or fifth worst bullshit?) Even before the beta/awakening/2.0 changes it had a role. and being a HC player that usually gets to maps after the first week of the challenge seasons I can say that it was not for everyone. The general opinion amongst my friends was that melee was awesome and slightly overpowered (provided you got your hands on an ok weapon) until maps, and after level 75 or so they were at a disadvantage because close range becomes much more dangerous.

Also, on my friends list, there were only two players who ever had characters over level 95 in HC and they were both melee. To me that says something anyway, even if it’s a small sample.

I actually think with the way things are now in the beta that melee has an even larger role. Granted, monsters to hit harder! But the fact that melee now has fortify and it’s easy to keep up at all times, combined with multiple ways to gain endurance charges means that a well prepared melee character can take much bigger hits then ranged whatever other defenses are there. - in the long run that means more survivability, as even the most careful range attacker will still take a solid hit every now and then.

Right now in the beta I'm running a lv 85 HC all melee/self found duelist and hosting pub maps every day. I have seen at least 4-5 range characters RIP in my parties, cannot say I have not had about a dozen close calls myself but I’m always in front tanking too.

Added monster damage hurts everyone, but fortify skill helps only melee, this brings a closer balance to character roles. And I fear if they are not careful, any more of a buff to melee might really just make it better in every situation – and too good.

EDIT: these comments were pre-nerf of fotify - so it kind of invalidates much of what I said.
"
Do_odle wrote:

"but they gave back"

Nerf->Mirror Arrow

Nerf->Flame Blast

(3rd? 4th? 5th? Nerf)

Nerf-> Crit Multi

Nerf Melee-> Frenzy

Buff Dual-Wielding-> wow

Nerf Minions->

Nerf Melee->

Nerf Minions.

Nerf Melee.

Nerf Minions.

Nerf Melee.

Finally, someone that is playing the same game as I do. ;)
Everything in this post is 100% true!
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
lolozori wrote:

I too agree with op. With average gears a ranged will perform 100% better with 100% less investment in tree or items.

It is easier to play a scion or a witch melee, using ES or ST than playing the stereotype life based warrior in this game unless you have a legacy Kaom or hybrid melee+rf.

I agree with that sentiment. I tried a Templar melee caster build in Flashback league and with 2 days left I'm not even going to try to defeat Cruel Dominus. The SoG zone is just too painful and frustrating to want to get through with all the desync there that is a killer to a melee build. Yet in the previous 4 month league I created a Scion ST build, got a great Wings of Entropy Sundering Axe weapon and went left through the Marauder part of the tree to get the Cleaving and Slaughter keystones to use with my Dual Strike + Double Strike melee single target attacks. But I primarily use ST with LMP ranged attack with the Iron Grip keystone and Fury Bolts to do the most clearing of mobs. This combo is great with my fantastic axe drop and now I'm up to level 88 in Standard League and still enjoying the daily grind (mostly). I can't say that with any melee build I've tried so GGG fails to deliver anything close to a balance in melee comparable to ranged attack.

Hey GGG, please listen up. Nerfing the ranged skills is not the way to bring ranged closer in line with melee. Buff up melee instead. Please, oh please stop listening to the no-lifers and others that claim that this or that skill is too op and needs to be nerfed. There have been a few instances where a skill was too op but the elite players act like most of the skills are too op and keep asking "nerf please". That is so wrong to the 99%.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jun 5, 2015, 8:05:17 PM
I'm levelling a two handed resolute technique marauder, cyclone ofc ;)

The clear speed compared to other characters with similar or lower cost is just plan horrible.

1) Damage is mediocre. It works in solo play, but if someone else joins: meh. I do however think that Blood Rage in 2.0 will fix this, since it opens up a gem slot and gives free dps via frenzy charges. Also levelled gems are being boosted as far as I understand.

2) Run speed! This is in my opinion the important one, for marauders, templars and to some degree duelists. Too much time is spent running instead of fighting. There are flasks, but I need other flasks to stay alive! There are movement skills, and these help alot: yet no one can use them all the time. A good movement speed also helps the cycloning movement speed.

3) Why can't my resolute technique marauder freeze and shatter? Why is this limited to crit?

Tl/dr: Damage will be fine, as well as survivability (via fortify). Traditional melee classes needs to get a mobility boost to not lag behind ranged.

EDIT: Added in number 3
The Hyperbomber for 2.6: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1879383
Last edited by Saltygames on Jun 6, 2015, 10:32:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info