Witch vs Templar starting spell dmg nodes

"
Karvarousku wrote:
What makes me wonder is, why did templar suddenly got higher mana regen, than witch?

It was already taking into consideration with the 40% mana regen from the witch tree, but since so many complain about the 40% mana regen node being so strong, it now makes the templar's mana regen strong. At the end of the day, this will just go in a cycle if we keep nitpicking everything.

Witch still gets more mana in early game because of the mana nodes.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 10, 2014, 3:54:37 PM
From where does this thinking comes from?
That mana regen should be a trademark of the witch class?

In reality templar will have less mana regen, uneless he branches to the witch area.
While if witch branches to templar area (a very possible thing in 1.3), it's not like she can't take the templar nodes and vice versa.

She already has more than double %max mana in nodes which work combined with %mana regen because of how base mana regen is calculated.
Templar only gains marginal benefits when you compare a witch with identical mana amount, not only that but taking the "reduced cost of skill" nodes will do nothing to your mana regen, making MoM and Arctic armor actually harder to use as templar if you go for them instead of more mana and mana regen (and for MoM and arctic armor you have to branch to the witch area).

[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on Dec 10, 2014, 3:59:20 PM
Why Templars should use AA or MoM? They have Marauder near them... No need to use Witch defences. That's what I said, some people just want to play Templar as a Witch, and not Templar specific builds.
fkxLegacySpectral : lvl 97 Raider ST HowA [Legacy]
fkxBreachSlayer : lvl 95 Slayer Blade Flurry [Breach]
fkxCrockett : lvl 94 Saboteur Ice Trap [Perendus]
fkxRampage : lvl 94 Witch Fireball [Rampage]
fkxShadow : lvl 95 Shadow FP/CI [open beta]
Last edited by fkxDuelist on Dec 10, 2014, 5:08:33 PM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Karvarousku wrote:
What makes me wonder is, why did templar suddenly got higher mana regen, than witch?

It was already taking into consideration with the 40% mana regen from the witch tree, but since so many complain about the 40% mana regen node being so strong, it now makes the templar's mana regen strong. At the end of the day, this will just go in a cycle if we keep nitpicking everything.

Witch still gets more mana in early game because of the mana nodes.

Yeah, it's true, something gets stronger now, something later. I'm not exactly mad about the changes or anything, and yes, you're right that witch gets higher actual mana regen early on, than templar. But when you go into min-maxing (I'm looking at lvl 100 SRS witch % templar buolds just for the sake of min-maxing atm for example), templars 5% life / 5% mana + 20% regen and 14 flat life is better, than 12% ES + 25% mana regen / 14 flat ES. Instead of that, you could grab more life, or cast speed, since your mana regen is enough for lvl 20 AA with 195% mana regen already.

All burn (prolif) builds are most probably better done templar, since the 16'12 spelldmg is worse for you than 14'12 ele dmg. If your build is CI, EB or hybrid, this probably won't be the case, or if going MoM, since you (probably) want both starting areas.

And before anyone says it, no, I'm not whining that templar is better at SRS than witch now. This isn't even the case in most scenarios, but templar is actually really strong choice now (which is good!)
Last edited by Karvarousku on Dec 10, 2014, 4:22:16 PM
"
Karvarousku wrote:
But when you go into min-maxing (I'm looking at lvl 100 SRS witch % templar buolds just for the sake of min-maxing atm for example), templars 5% life / 5% mana + 20% regen and 14 flat life is better, than 12% ES + 25% mana regen / 14 flat ES. Instead of that, you could grab more life, or cast speed, since your mana regen is enough for lvl 20 AA with 195% mana regen already.

Min-maxing is really difficult to balance because there are so many variables involved. It is really difficult to predict whether you got better or worse when we only know what we are getting from the passive tree. We will need to know what the patch note is in store to more or less get the idea. I am not going to fault your argument there, for I have the same sentiment, but we will find out in patch day.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 10, 2014, 4:30:26 PM
"
fkxDuelist wrote:
Why Templars should use AA or MoM? No need to use Witch defences.

You do realize that MoM is South of Duelist, right? Cloak of Defiance isn't Witch-specific lol.
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Karvarousku wrote:
But when you go into min-maxing (I'm looking at lvl 100 SRS witch % templar buolds just for the sake of min-maxing atm for example), templars 5% life / 5% mana + 20% regen and 14 flat life is better, than 12% ES + 25% mana regen / 14 flat ES. Instead of that, you could grab more life, or cast speed, since your mana regen is enough for lvl 20 AA with 195% mana regen already.

Min-maxing is really difficult to balance because there are so many variables involved. It is really difficult to predict whether you got better or worse when we only know what we are getting from the passive tree. We will need to know what the patch note is in store to more or less get the idea. I am not going to fault your argument there, for I have the same sentiment, but we will find out in patch day.

Yeah, patch notes will tell us whether the builds got buffed, nerfed, or something from between. But what we can see already, and kinda worries me, is that when it comes to the high-end maxing (what I'm usually doing when playing), and it does seem really odd that at that point, witch is losing it's value as a "iconic mana/spell caster". I think that giving witch 15% mana regen and a bit less mana would be better, or reducing the templars 15% mana regen to the same as witch, which would cause the templar to be at 50% mana regen, a bit less than witch. And then adding the extra mana regen (the lost mana regen from templar) to Deep Thoughts or the nodes before it, for example.

This is actually the first time (afaik, played for around 2 years now), when templar has more mana regen (as the mana regen nodes, atleast) than witch in the first 5 or so nodes.

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
You think witch has it bad, marauder is getting beaten by templar in the life regen department by 0.4%. I think GGG made templar for the most part in 1.3 represent the life/mana regen + wep ele dmg archetype.

Wow, haven't even noticed that. Templar has always been the weapon elemental dmg -guy, but in 1.3 he is getting more love. So that's probably the case then, I quess.
Last edited by Karvarousku on Dec 10, 2014, 5:05:02 PM
"
Karvarousku wrote:
This is actually the first time (afaik, played for around 2 years now), when templar has more mana regen (as the mana regen nodes, atleast) than witch in the first 5 or so nodes.

You think witch has it bad, marauder is getting beaten by templar in the life regen department by 0.4%. I think GGG made templar for the most part in 1.3 represent the life/mana regen + wep ele dmg archetype.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 10, 2014, 4:57:28 PM
I love PoE, which is a great gmae, but I'm gonna be brutally honest here. The Witch change, changing her nodes to nerf her initial 40% to 25% mana regen really suck major balls. I'm going to lose about 7.5 mana per sec, which will make my border line Arctic Armor no longer useable as lvl 19. And I'm going to have to waste 2 extra nodes just to get my mana back on par with lvl 19 arctic armor.

Just an annoying nerf.

Additionally, Templar having more mana regen makes absolutely zero sense. Sorry. I don't like this at all.
"
Blizzard wrote:
I love PoE, which is a great gmae, but I'm gonna be brutally honest here. The Witch change, changing her nodes to nerf her initial 40% to 25% mana regen really suck major balls. I'm going to lose about 7.5 mana per sec, which will make my border line Arctic Armor no longer useable as lvl 19. And I'm going to have to waste 2 extra nodes just to get my mana back on par with lvl 19 arctic armor.

Just an annoying nerf.

Additionally, Templar having more mana regen makes absolutely zero sense. Sorry. I don't like this at all.

Because witch is too popular, many of whom decided to use that starting node because it was too irresistible to ignore, and stop there. The ones that already allocated on that side of the tree, will not be effected much, but the ones that only used that starting node will feel it. When comparing other starting nodes, the 40% mana regen + 14 flat ES was by far the best one of them all.

Collectively, templar has more mana regen (but the difference is not too much), but the witch has more mana (if you take into account of the % increased maximum mana buff + int). It may not make sense, but it is the same with templar having more health regen than marauder. Does that make sense too?

Edit: Another thing to note, if templar's mana regen gets nerfed, we will be back in the same situation before the witch's mana regen got nerfed. The starting node will still be powerful, and people will be calling out nerf again. Thus, starting the nerf cycle.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 10, 2014, 7:33:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info