dat untainted nerf

"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
It needed the nerf. Beyond added either 14 or 15 level 100s (didn't check before the switch) to the 16 that were in Hardcore from the entire history of PoE.

"
PeachieMark wrote:
I was third in the Beyond ladder the first month of the league. It was grueling and competitive to keep up. And then a lot of streamers/ladder players started buying Untainted Paradises. The two above me got out of range of ever being caught, and one guy jumped from 7th to 3rd in a single day.

The main issue is the continued depreciation of xp gain in 77-78s as you get to really high levels combined with zero xp penalty in unique maps. At 97+, you're getting like 3% effective xp from a 78 while getting 100% xp from an untainted that already gives 1200% increased xp. It's more valuable that running 10+ 78s in a row, AND it takes like 7 minutes, AND there is zero risk of RIPing for a character at that level.

A much more elegant solution would be to leave Untainted Paradise as is but have it simply stop giving experience past level 90. The majority of the playerbase would still get the intended benefit: a huge xp boost while leveling. And the ladder would return to its legitimate state where you need to chain 78s to compete where there is real risk of dying.

I'm not sure making an arbitrary level limit for the map is terribly elegant.

Is it any more arbitrary than the current xp penalty system that has the sole purpose of making it take longer to get to 100?
"
PeachieMark wrote:
The main issue is the continued depreciation of xp gain in 77-78s as you get to really high levels combined with zero xp penalty in unique maps. At 97+, you're getting like 3% effective xp from a 78 while getting 100% xp from an untainted that already gives 1200% increased xp. It's more valuable that running 10+ 78s in a row, AND it takes like 7 minutes, AND there is zero risk of RIPing for a character at that level.

Unique maps have no xp penalty??
At 300-400% it should drop loot for that.
lol.

still luv to hate this game.
"
PeachieMark wrote:
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
Don't assume sir. Level 90 wasn't at all an arbitrary choice. All builds are done by level 90. The last 10 points are just a bonus. 90 is where you're no longer building your character, and it's also right where gems hit 20 most of the time.

My solution is elegant in that 99% of the playerbase gets to continue enjoying the awesome that is Untainted, while fixing the ladder, which was utterly broken by Untainted Paradise. If you can fix a big problem, while not harming the intended bonus, I consider it elegant.

You are aware that the current nerf still makes Untainted the fastest, safest way to reach 100 right?

Why not 91? Why not 92? Why not 89? Hell, plenty of builds are complete at 85. Why not there?

"Elegant" in a game context is making a change that works within existing game parameters, not slapping on another line of text that doesn't have any basis in the current game system.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
Last edited by TheTenthDoc on Nov 20, 2014, 7:46:54 PM
It would better solve the problem if it stayed how it was but was not sellable. As in you get one portal non transferable to the one that opened it. It was just like all the really good gear in the game, a reason to want to spend real money or flip items endlessly for wealth to buy yourself supreme power.
"
"
PeachieMark wrote:

Unique maps have no xp penalty??

Yes, unique maps have no exp penalty. Check yourself if you have a really high level character. Run a 66 map and then run a coward's trial.
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
"
PeachieMark wrote:
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
Don't assume sir. Level 90 wasn't at all an arbitrary choice. All builds are done by level 90. The last 10 points are just a bonus. 90 is where you're no longer building your character, and it's also right where gems hit 20 most of the time.

My solution is elegant in that 99% of the playerbase gets to continue enjoying the awesome that is Untainted, while fixing the ladder, which was utterly broken by Untainted Paradise. If you can fix a big problem, while not harming the intended bonus, I consider it elegant.

You are aware that the current nerf still makes Untainted the fastest, safest way to reach 100 right?

Why not 91? Why not 92? Why not 89? Hell, plenty of builds are complete at 85. Why not there?

"Elegant" in a game context is making a change that works within existing game parameters, not slapping on another line of text that doesn't have any basis in the current game system.

"I'm going to define a word differently, so it makes me right and you wrong." You're just antagonizing without adding anything to the actual discussion. Go away troll. We have no food for you.
Could have just made other content more rewarding instead of tainting the poor little paradise :(

The blizzard trend of nerf everything always is getting old.

Buff weak shit and make the game more challenging.
"just for try, for see and for know"
I wish they would have found a more elegant way to balance UP. I bet that the vast majority of players hasn't entered more than one UP during this season. But of course it has to be balanced around people trading/multiboxing/whatever to abuse it as much as possible.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info