The end game part and the drop rate problem

"
Dahita wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
morbo wrote:
What's supposed to be "endgame" actually? I never played any MMO's, so I'm a bit unsure. I was under the impression that in PoE endgame is: 'grinding content that has the potential to drop the best items'.

If this is the case, then PoE has lots of endgame. For some people endgame might be even just trading & hoarding orb wealth.

This is endgame. Yessir

POE is a multiplayer hack and slash, not an mmo, there's no persistent world.

Yes, it is the endgame. What I'm complaining about is the fact that it is not as rewarding as it should be.

'rewarding' is quite vague and utterly subjective. what might be rewarding to some isnt rewarding to you and what is rewarding to you might not be rewarding to others.

what exactly do you want that would be rewarding ? high rarity unique guarantees from map bosses ?

GGG will not do that. its not D3, in which devs swung from one extreme to another in order to appease the masses.

some set guarantee drops vs bosses ? well, atziri has some of that in some form

you want to be showered in loot head to toes with uniques that arent low/mid tier ? wont happen. its not d3 where every unique is BiS. crafting now enables you to make use of rares that just missed some rolls.

endgame in PoE is a lot of grinding. or doing atziri/uber atziri (which requires...a lot of grinding :))

if you're bored with that (and a lot of people are), making an alt usually helps. there are a lot of people who consider a character completed once its close to or around 90, and even in mid 80s (I say 'even' because its easier than ever to reach 90 in perma leagues nowadays)

game in PoE is balanced around trading and economy and partying. youre never going to be showered in great loot that is a strict upgrade. you can get a great piece of gear in a1 merciless and not have an upgrade even as youre tearing through maps. its ok, its a feature of PoE. mods are random.
Last edited by grepman on Nov 23, 2014, 1:25:37 AM
Hi there,

the problem of rate is a hard one to solve.

Knowing that, things are really really rare, when I drop something that is interesting, I'm really happy !

But in my opinion, you drop too much garbage. What I mean here is when you kill something that dropped 30 items (20 whites, 7 blues and 3 rares). It is combine that you can roll on a lvl 70 item, mods from level a lvl 5 item then as a result, you dropped 30 item that can be directly be sell to vendor.

After a time you have enough currency then to trade and to buy what you really need from other player.

The other problem is when you start a new character, as you mentioned it, you know already that you will probably nothing drop yourself that is worth to give you any motivation (one of the reason why a friend of mine stopped pretty soon to play as he did not had the feeling to find anything interesting)

I will repost an idea I read a lot time ago somewhere (sorry do not remember where the idea come but it is not from me)

First : reduce the quantity of item found. It make no sense to drop 100 of useless item. It make your screen so full that you cannot see the graphic anymore. (No I do not like to hide everything). Looking all of them slow the game. It would make the game more fluid if you check only fewer item.

Second : combine to the first point, make the quality better by limiting the level of affix you can have on an item. If you drop an item that is lvl 70, then you cannot roll mod under lvl 60 or 50 for example. It will improve the quality of what you are finding and give also the possibility to craft and look for white item from high lvl.

Third : Make higher drop chance for unique on the first playtrough or better chance of good rare til the end of cruel for example. Like this you do not drop godly thing that break the game in merciless and you still have fun leveling new characters.

Hope it will help the discution

cya

Hope it
"
But in my opinion, you drop too much garbage.

+1

Take a 78 map. It can drop everything: all item types, all item bases, all affix tiers. The only way for you get something sensible out of this huge pool of permutations in a "reasonable" time, is to drop a huge amount of items, which are in 99.5% of cases scrap metal.

You then haul all this trash from maps and vendor it for shards / recipes. Path of Recycling Simulator.

imo, more focus should be put toward quality, instead of quantity. Ban low base items from high maps, ban low tier affixes from high ilvl bases. Reduce the amount of drops accordingly.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info