Of Characters names

In real world, your name is not your only identification. And even here you can easily get into troubles with naming-doppelgangers...
Would you 'like' to have to check the "birthtime" of your POE chars, or any similar data?

Next: even yet, plain charnames can be up to 24 characters long, dont know if a limit exists for accounts at all. Now combine them, and end up with 'funny' lists that exceeds 36 inch widescreens...
The only times I face troubles with charnaming, is in race events.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Having truly unique character names is a nice oldschool touch and probably looked like a good/feasible idea back when PoE was born. Millions of characters later, not so much. But given that GGG have let two really good opportunities slide, Open Beta and Release, to change the system would lead me to believe that it's either such an old, core part of the game, as in technical coding architecture, that it would be really hard to change or that they still just want the system to be like this. In any case, given that the same arguments have been going round in circle for more than two years now, I wouldn't expect to see any changes. They could improve the situation though by allowing other characters than Latin, spaces and maybe expanding the character limit.
"
Alysma wrote:
They could improve the situation though by allowing other characters than Latin, spaces and maybe expanding the character limit.

Another "solution" would be to identify characters that have not been moved for ages, and renaming them into "safrljfsal124fsa" and such, so that good names would be free again. ;)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Actually, if you ask Support they can try and contact the person holding that name. I just wouldn't get my hopes up since they may not check a throw-away/signup email account often and they are of course free to say "no". :-)
"
Peterlerock wrote:
Another "solution" would be to identify characters that have not been moved for ages, and renaming them into "safrljfsal124fsa" and such, so that good names would be free again. ;)

Bad idea - I never 'move' the char that "holds" my account name. (and I guess its not realistic to have account names generally blocked from being used for chars...)
--
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
In real world, your name is not your only identification. And even here you can easily get into troubles with naming-doppelgangers...
Would you 'like' to have to check the "birthtime" of your POE chars, or any similar data?

And neither is name your only identification in POE.

For person-to-person communication, character name isn't even a good identifier. When I write a message it's probably to the person who is playing the character, not to the character itself (let's hope). Account name is actually a better identifier for that.
The in-game communication between character names instead of account names is supposed to be a roleplaying element. Which might work if people would actually roleplay in chat... :-D
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
For person-to-person communication, character name isn't even a good identifier. When I write a message it's probably to the person who is playing the character, not to the character itself (let's hope). Account name is actually a better identifier for that.

Maybe. But... who prevents you (beside someone who's simply faster) to name one char after your account? Okay, there are "addiionally" limits by the different charsets, which allows some special characters and numbers for the account that are impossible to use for char names...

The other, bigger issue is: Some aspects of the communication is "bound" to the league, and the account name has no meaning for in what league you actual play. To make this a bit less unconvenient, commands like % (league-bound) and & (cross-league) were added.

If someone likes to name all his chars "Klaus" (or whatever), just separated by an (internal, invisible) ID, and I 'talk' to "Klaus" - is it the one from HC, the other from Rampage, the old one in Standard or maybe he's just doing a race? Or is is the "Klaus" of another player at all? You CANT know.
--
"
Mr_Cee wrote:

If someone likes to name all his chars "Klaus" (or whatever), just separated by an (internal, invisible) ID, and I 'talk' to "Klaus" - is it the one from HC, the other from Rampage, the old one in Standard or maybe he's just doing a race? Or is is the "Klaus" of another player at all? You CANT know.

Yes, you don't know to which of his avatars you are speaking, but you know exactly to which person you are speaking (the "klaus" obsessed one).
And that's what matters.

You wouldn't type "@klaus", you'd right-click him in your friends list or type "@FunnyGermanName.Klaus".

So: how would it be a bad thing if he was allowed to use the same name for all his characters? As long as he can separate them for himself, it's all good, and other player's couldn't care less.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Alysma wrote:
The in-game communication between character names instead of account names is supposed to be a roleplaying element. Which might work if people would actually roleplay in chat... :-D

There's actually no roleplay elements in this game. Using the character's name for that would be a really forced roleplay.

Such a funny thing how a game that encourages you to create multiple characters and continuously releasing leagues and races for it has its limit in the character creation, like the names availability.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info