How to keep on PLAYING?

I do so love it when undergraduates think they know something; it is cute.
"
FarmerTed wrote:
Think of orbs as paper money. The value is derived from the markets perceptions. This is why currency buying power changes over time and money from different countries has variable exchange rates. Money has potential buying power. If you buy goods and services, the money has real value. If you take the money to Monte Carlo and gamble it all away, well...what was the value. There is a difference between potential and real.

This is complete nonsense, even when not considering that orbs each have a real utility which gives them use value for being orbs. Paper money's only use value is wiping your ass or starting a fire, or maybe it can be used as bedding in a hamster cage.

When you buy goods or services with money, that is because it had 'real' value all along. It's potential buying power gives it value. If you gamble it all away then you are not proving that it was value-less. It's value was in providing the chance at something that you wanted. All value is real value.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
It takes quite a few courses for a college student to understand what "value" means. I'm not going to try to teach it here. You're confusing it with other characteristics like utility and potential, and perceived value.

Normal.

But you're still confused by it.

Utility gives value. Potential gives value. If you are not willing to explain far-fetched positions that you post for no real reason then maybe you should refrain from posting them. Those fusings obviously had value to the OP. If this was just a disagreement in semantics that would be one thing, but to imply that OP should not care because those fusings had no value before he blew them is ludicrous. You posted to express your strange view of economics only, which is unrelated and wrong then you refuse to explain yourself, ok.

"
FarmerTed wrote:

[Removed by Support]

He made the perfectly good point that according to your own distinctions, you should not mind him taking your cash because it only has potential value, not 'real' value. Instead of offering a rebuttal you [Removed by Support] typed a few short sentences that mean nothing.

This is called losing an argument. Just wanted to point this out.

    ☭ ᵀʰᵉ ᵍᵉᵐᵐᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶰᵗᵉᵉᶫ ᵃʳᵉ ᵃᶰ ᶦᶰᶠᵉˢᵗᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰ⋅ ᵀʰᵉʸ ᵃʳᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ᴹᵒᶰᵏᵉʸ ᴷᶦᶰᵍ'ˢ ᶠᶫᵉᵃˢ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵈʳᶦᶰᵏ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᶫᶦᶠᵉᵇᶫᵒᵒᵈ⋅ ᶜʳᵘˢʰ ᵗʰᵉᵐ ᶦᶰ ʸᵒᵘʳ ʷᵒʳᵏ⁻ᶠᵒʳᵍᵉᵈ ʰᵃᶰᵈˢ﹗  ☭
              ͏   ͏͏ ৹ಊ৹⎊۝⎊৹ಊ⋅𝐆𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲⋅ಊ⋅𝐌𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐝⋅ಊ৹⎊۝⎊৹ಊ৹
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Oct 16, 2014, 12:14:14 PM
"
FarmerTed wrote:
"
gtrans wrote:
So if I trade something it has value, and if I don't it doesn't? Did I not trade those fusings?

Think of orbs as paper money. The value is derived from the markets perceptions. This is why currency buying power changes over time and money from different countries has variable exchange rates. Money has potential buying power. If you buy goods and services, the money has real value. If you take the money to Monte Carlo and gamble it all away, well...what was the value. There is a difference between potential and real.

[REmoved by Support] Let me get this straight for you. (and please do me a favor, don't bring real world stuff into this. Keep it strictly within the game's boundaries.)

A fusing orb gives you the chance to 6 link an item. That item has a X value when it is not linked and a different value when it is. You will be required to have Y amount of fusing orbs to obtain the desired links. Therefore a fusing orbs has "potential" value based on the chance of linking 6 sockets which is by default but not granted to be around 1500~.

The potential of a fusing orb gives it substantial value. A fusing is not worthless.

Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Oct 16, 2014, 12:14:56 PM
And of course, just because it is based on CHANCES, it will never make it valueless. Actually, 1500 = 6 links. But on the other hand, gambling is playing with it's chance potential.
Last edited by gtrans on Oct 15, 2014, 11:13:34 PM
Okay can people stop being autistic and debating economical terms in a video game.

Fusings have no value if you do not plan to trade them, use them, or do anything with them at all. They are magical pixels on the screen.

The moment you use them or trade them they gain a potential value based on what GGG gave them within the confines of the game (they have the potential value of being a 6-link) or market value if you trade them for another good. If I suddenly quit the game the next day having 100000 exalts, their value to me is forever 0 in everyway or form.

To keep on playing you set a goal of 1500 fusings to just auto-link your item.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Oct 15, 2014, 11:23:52 PM
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
Okay can people stop being autistic and debating economical terms in a video game.

Fusings have no value if you do not plan to trade them, use them, or do anything with them at all. They are magical pixels on the screen.

The moment you use them or trade them they gain a potential value based on what GGG gave them within the confines of the game (they have the potential value of being a 6-link) or market value if you trade them for another good. If I suddenly quit the game the next day having 100000 exalts, their value to me is forever 0 in everyway or form.

Are you aware that in the same post you ask people to stop debating and then you immediately proceed to do so?

They are pixels but not magical. Pixels can be exchanged for physical things (again, obviously against the rules (and dumb)). If you do not plan to use them they will still have value as long as they can be used, as long as they are useful or desirable to someone, anyone. If you suddenly quit the game it does nothing to the fact that they have value, it just makes them inaccessible to anyone else.
    ☭ ᵀʰᵉ ᵍᵉᵐᵐᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶰᵗᵉᵉᶫ ᵃʳᵉ ᵃᶰ ᶦᶰᶠᵉˢᵗᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰ⋅ ᵀʰᵉʸ ᵃʳᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ᴹᵒᶰᵏᵉʸ ᴷᶦᶰᵍ'ˢ ᶠᶫᵉᵃˢ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵈʳᶦᶰᵏ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᶫᶦᶠᵉᵇᶫᵒᵒᵈ⋅ ᶜʳᵘˢʰ ᵗʰᵉᵐ ᶦᶰ ʸᵒᵘʳ ʷᵒʳᵏ⁻ᶠᵒʳᵍᵉᵈ ʰᵃᶰᵈˢ﹗  ☭
              ͏   ͏͏ ৹ಊ৹⎊۝⎊৹ಊ⋅𝐆𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲⋅ಊ⋅𝐌𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐝⋅ಊ৹⎊۝⎊৹ಊ৹
Last edited by Dreggz on Oct 15, 2014, 11:34:02 PM
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
Okay can people stop [Removed by Suppor] debating economical terms in a video game.

Says the guy who used the "word" economical.

[Removed by Support]

"
RagnarokChu wrote:

Simply, logically, incorrect.

First, all orbs retain an inherent, intrinsic use-value due to the nature of the game mechanic.
Whether or not the value of a fusing is expended has no bearing on whether or not that fusing carries a use-value associated with its ability to produce a link. So long as orbs retain useable effects they retain an intrinsic use-value.

Second, all orbs, due to their intrinsic use-value, retain a non-zero trade value.
Regardless of the fluctuations in the exchange economy there will always be a trade value to orbs for one specific reason; at any given moment there are a finite number of orbs extant within the game world. Also, there is a minimum exchange rate for particular orbs due to the in-game mechanic of vendor exchanges.

Items do not need to be exchanged or "used" in order to retain value.

Anyone who has passed a basic macroeconomics course should understand that.

Hell, anyone who has ever worked in retail should understand that.

"
RagnarokChu wrote:
The moment you use them or trade them they gain a potential value based on what GGG gave them within the confines of the game (they have the potential value of being a 6-link) or market value if you trade them for another good.

If I suddenly quit the game the next day having 100000 exalts, their value to me is forever 0 in everyway or form.

No, their use to you is zero.

The orbs retain both a use and trade value and, more importantly, unless you Self-Found every single one they also represent a removal of a large population of Exalts from the operable game economy.

"
RagnarokChu wrote:

That is a lot of grinding for very little purpose. In my experience the answer to game fatigue is never another mindless grind.

There is only so much repetitious monotony I can withstand before I need to take a brake and do something else.

Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Oct 16, 2014, 12:16:16 PM
Oh the joys of reading this on the forums, so much fun playing in self found gear using my orbs as they were made for.

And to actualy answer this guys question i say get off the forums and play the game, you gambled, you lost, the community doesnt need to know you failed to use a -now- guaranteed way to 6link an item.

I bet you had fun trading for those fusings though right? life well spent i see.
**Iv said it once ill say it again if someone doesnt have a peice of gear that went legacy you _____________________________clearly didnt want to play the build at the time it was OP.**__________________
Wait until next temporary league.

Until that you can try a build that only requires 4L to work and play self found, or just dont play at all. There is no need to keep playing if you are not enjoying anymore. Take a few days break

"
Dreggz wrote:
"
RagnarokChu wrote:

Are you aware that in the same post you ask people to stop debating and then you immediately proceed to do so?

They are pixels but not magical. Pixels can be exchanged for physical things (again, obviously against the rules (and dumb)). If you do not plan to use them they will still have value as long as they can be used, as long as they are useful or desirable to someone, anyone. If you suddenly quit the game it does nothing to the fact that they have value, it just makes them inaccessible to anyone else.
Okay if you don't understand what the line
"The moment you use them or trade them they gain a potential value based on what GGG gave them within the confines of the game (they have the potential value of being a 6-link)"

because it basically means what you said, when you use them they have a potential value

The keyword is value to "me", if I do not use my 10000 exalts ever and never play the game to me their value is 0 to me because I am doing >nothing< with them. I did not say they do "not" have a value, I literally said the have a value depending on how you use them.

"

Simply, logically, incorrect.

First, all orbs retain an inherent, intrinsic use-value due to the nature of the game mechanic.
Whether or not the value of a fusing is expended has no bearing on whether or not that fusing carries a use-value associated with its ability to produce a link. So long as orbs retain useable effects they retain an intrinsic use-value.

Second, all orbs, due to their intrinsic use-value, retain a non-zero trade value.
Regardless of the fluctuations in the exchange economy there will always be a trade value to orbs for one specific reason; at any given moment there are a finite number of orbs extant within the game world. Also, there is a minimum exchange rate for particular orbs due to the in-game mechanic of vendor exchanges.

Items do not need to be exchanged or "used" in order to retain value.

Anyone who has passed a basic macroeconomics course should understand that.

Hell, anyone who has ever worked in retail should understand that.

[Removed by Support]

"

No, their use to you is zero.

The orbs retain both a use and trade value and, more importantly, unless you Self-Found every single one they also represent a removal of a large population of Exalts from the operable game economy.

[Removed by Support] you are quoting,

If I suddenly quit the game the next day having 100000 exalts, their value to me is forever 0 in everyway or form.

As in, their value to me is forever 0.

As in literally you are repeating back to me what I just said like I didn't say it. I didn't say "and thus they have no use or trade value". If I owned a large corporation and then gave it away for free, it's value to me is 0. I gained nothing from it or assigned it any value to be exchanged. If I had one million dollars and marooned myself on a planet, the million dollars is literally worthless to me because I cannot spend it. If I bought a sandwich and plan to never eat it or do anything with it, the nutritional value is 0 to me. Not "the sandwich has no nutritional value" because it obviously does, and not "another person wouldn't be willing to buy the sandwich".

Literally people in the PoE trying to correct someone with the exact same thing that that the person posted.
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Oct 16, 2014, 12:08:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info