How to keep on PLAYING?

"

1.5k fusing down the drain with no 6l for me, and I still won't do it differently! And a bunch of whetstones too, better get the best odds you can.

Completely depends on the ratio of whetstone:fusings in that league as well as the opportunity cost of taking time and energy clicking all those whetstones.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Try a new build? Maybe something of the caster variety that use a +1 gem 4link instead of a 6link to avoid that black hole of fusings? And level Vorici while you're at it :)
Last edited by Cenferd on Oct 16, 2014, 11:02:11 AM
How to keep on playing:

-Lower your expectations in as many ways as possible
-Don't care about wealth
-Don't care about finding upgrades
-Don't care about dying
-Play self-found and/or with a small number of decent friends
-Embrace being "One With Nothing"
-Plan to be in Softcore leagues in the long-term, and be okay with that
-Never use Fusings or Jeweller's ever again
-Create new characters rather than trying to min-max at end-game
-Skip daily quests as part of a "I don't give a shit" therapeutic philosophy
-Accept the game for what it is: generally good combat in great environments with cool music and a bunch of tedious item interactions revolving around trading/vendoring/hoarding
-Smile when you vendor uniques as another part of the "I don't give a shit" therapeutic philosophy

Essentially, just try to enjoy the journey and don't have too many goals. Most high-end goals you can have in PoE are false goals gated by luck and/or time. So, it is better to just not have certain goals, and simply "let the dice roll" as they will. If you are setting high-end goals, don't stubbornly believe that they all are obtainable within reason; know that some of these goals extend beyond reason into the realm of insanity.

Also, don't take the game too seriously. The more seriously you take the game, chances are, the more frustrated you will be with it. You will feel trolled around every corner. To enjoy a game created by trolls, you must embrace the games inherent trollhood and learn to not give a fuck or else you become the ultimate troll victim.
TY to those who called me out on my BS on these forums. There is no benefit to being so selfish as to fail to acknowledge others' differing beliefs of what "should be" or believe your own opinions so supreme as to be factual and thus dismiss others' opinions as being somehow a lie or delusional.
Last edited by Perfect_Black on Nov 11, 2014, 9:51:03 PM
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
If I bought a sandwich and plan to never eat it or do anything with it, the nutritional value is 0 to me. Not "the sandwich has no nutritional value" because it obviously does, and not "another person wouldn't be willing to buy the sandwich".

You are getting close.

Whether or not you find an item useful has no bearing on whether or not that item retains an intrinsic value.

Orbs, like your sandwich example, retain an intrinsic value due to the mechanics of the game. (Or in the case of the sandwich, their caloric content.)

That value is derived from both use-value and trade-value.

The orb market is essentially a commodity market within POE. That you chose not to engage within said market does not have any effect whatsoever on the existence of a use-value or trade-value of the orbs within your stash.

Furthermore, if you traded for any of those orbs you effectively remove them from the economy introducing a price-value for the item by virtue of diminishing the finite number of orbs in circulation.

You are not the center of the universe, within POE or outside of it, it does not matter if you personally plan to use any of the orbs you hold in your stash.

These items retain value independent of your designs for them.

You are confusing "Things I find useful to me," with "Intrinsic Value."

They are two different things.
"

He made the perfectly good point that according to your own distinctions, you should not mind him taking your cash because it only has potential value, not 'real' value. [Removed by Support]

[Removed by Support] I can trade money for something real. How much depends on how long I hold it and what I trade it for.
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Oct 16, 2014, 12:03:54 PM
"
IceHawk181 wrote:

Items do not need to be exchanged or "used" in order to retain value.
Anyone who has passed a basic macroeconomics course should understand that.
Hell, anyone who has ever worked in retail should understand that.

Seriously? Anyone who passed Macro should understand fluctuating markets and changing paradigms.
Anyone who works retail definitely knows about expired inventory: usually written off as having zero value and calculated as a loss.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
gtrans wrote:
(NOT A QQ THREAD, JUST ASKING FOR FEEDBACK)

Ok I just lost 70ex worth of currency trying to 6 link, that was everything that I had. I'm pissed and hell I regret trying that. But now my frustration makes me want to quit this game but there aren't any other games that I enjoy. How can look to the bright side of it and give it a second chance?

You are comparing incomparables. I just dropped over 100 chaos orbs on a spree to try to get a good hammer and ended up with nothing. The value of those chaos was exactly 0. They were worth 0 sitting in my stash as well.

The only time they have value is when you get something for their use, either in trade or in application.

The fusings you used were worthless before you used them and worthless after you used them. You lost nothing.

The is the absolute correct approach. 100 Exalted orbs for instance sitting in your stash for 2 years has zero worth to a player not entirely consumed by getting more pixelated orb currency for orb currency sake. The real value in the money you spent is the reward for progress, either by upgrading an item or creating a new one.

You made a gamble, and lost. The way to "keep playing" is exactly that. You log in, you farm gear, you play with friends, pvp, do daily missions, go fishing, etc. Do whatever it is you do normally. If the end all be all in this game is to get more pixilated orb currency instead of playing the game for what it actually is, then its probably time you stop playing.
"
Vyvanne wrote:
Play hardcore. You'll learn fast to let things go.

FUCK, I jsut died to the stupidest thing ever omfg I'm an idiot I lost 500 ex on this amazing char I've spent the past two months on.

Delete char, remake under the same name, play another build. Easy peasy.

500 ex on gear in Beyond? Cool story, brah.

@op: Roll on a new league. When things fuck up bad for me, I'll call it quits for that league (usually thinking "Well, had a good run...!") and come back later for fresh start anyway with new mechanics. Usually making/trying out some weirdo builds on standard during that downtime.

Spoiler
Sorry if this has been mentioned already but couldn't read through the shit that happened at early pages that was debating whether currency has value or not.
"
gtrans wrote:
(NOT A QQ THREAD, JUST ASKING FOR FEEDBACK)

Ok I just lost 70ex worth of currency trying to 6 link, that was everything that I had. I'm pissed and hell I regret trying that. But now my frustration makes me want to quit this game but there aren't any other games that I enjoy. How can look to the bright side of it and give it a second chance?

no, you're basically fucked up. losing 70 ex is like losing the entire game. stop playing the game, you're not going to get that 70ex back.

It was insane when I lost 10 ex but that was recoverable injury. I don't think you can recover 70ex injury. There is lots of tons online game out there. try 5 and then if you still feel the same way of playing POE back, then you can recover from that 70ex injury
Race? Season points? Nah. Not my thing.
"
FarmerTed wrote:

Seriously? Anyone who passed Macro should understand fluctuating markets and changing paradigms.

And anyone who has ever played Path of Exile should be able to recognize that, until GGG fundamentally alters the mechanics of orbs, there will be no new "paradigm."

"
FarmerTed wrote:
Anyone who works retail definitely knows about expired inventory: usually written off as having zero value and calculated as a loss.

An item with a value of 0 cannot produce a loss when it is subtracted from the bottom line.

Expired inventory carries a negative value primarily because its value is dependent upon exchange.

That is not how the POE economy works.

Orbs retain an intrinsic use-value due to the mechanics of the game and therefore an intrinsic trade-value.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info