Ended

Last edited by EconomySpoiler on Oct 22, 2014, 7:01:31 PM
OP, have you ever actually tried any of what you say in your post? Because it sounds to me like you've never had an encounter with crap RNG in this game.

Corrupting for a specific corrupt or trying to 6L something is russian roulette with your currency. Yes, you in theory may be able to craft those things yourself more cheaply than buying them, but buying them removes the risk that you'll just burn through all your currency. Risk mitigation is what drives the "for profit" aspect of the economy.

Also, I don't believe the odds for getting +1 gems are as good as 1/10.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by EconomySpoiler on Oct 22, 2014, 7:01:27 PM
"
"
tackle70 wrote:
OP, have you ever actually tried any of what you say in your post? Because it sounds to me like you've never had an encounter with crap RNG in this game.

Yup. As I have stated repeatedly, the linking method is the method that I have employed the most. I couldn't be arsed to keep up with corrupted item prices + linking prices at the same time so I only chose linking. And there really isn't any need to deal with both, I mean, the profit from the linking method is so insane that anything more is entirely unneeded. If you manage to pull off the linking method 5 times, you're looking at about 80-100 exalts in pure profit from air. After a few months of doing this, you can imagine the wealth could start to be insane.

I've very intentionally left out how much wealth I have, and the connections that I have. I want people to reason with me only based on the ability to think logically. Though I'll be perfectly honest, my wealth isn't that amazing and that's really only because once I hit enough to satisfy my needs, I just kind of stopped. Hence me making this post! But the methods still work in the current economy very well and I know people who to this day are still using them with great success.

Edit:

On the second half, in regard to crap RNG. Well, the idea is that RNG averages out over time. You might get shitty RNG the first time, then amazing RNG the next time. So in these 'games', you're going to average out over time. And the selling prices are set such that you will make profit over time.

And like I said, the reality of the situation is that items are grossly overpriced. The notion of 'make profit over time' in the current economy is more like 'make AN INSANE AMOUNT OF PROFIT, LIKE HOLY SHIT YOU'RE RICH over time'. Even if the prices were too low (which they are very far from right now), sellers would still inflate the price until they make a profit. In this case, supply and demand would actually kick in and people would be forced to price items fairly based on 'net cost'. Supply and demand does play a role in the current economy to an extent but it's a fairly complicated matter to get into and it's pretty minimal unless somebody is actively trying to abuse it.

But back to my main point, I genuinely think it's almost impossible for you to not make a profit simply because of how overpriced crafted items are overselling for. I mean, you would require some of the shittiest luck on the planet.

To your example about linking: many players - probably the majority - do not have access to the 10k+ fusings you would need to be able to 6L things and be reasonably confident that your RNG will "average out". If you've only got 20-40 exalts worth of fusings, you can either:
-Buy a 6L that is a bit overpriced
or
-Gamble and hope you don't get awful RNG

The scenario you are describing about crafting for profit only works as a method if you already have enough wealth built up that you can hedge against the possibility of bad RNG. For many players, they are not in that situation, and it makes more sense for them to overpay a little bit rather than take the risk of going completely broke.

A side effect of this is that in PoE, the rich get richer, but that's how the economy game works in PoE and how it has always worked. The wealthier you are, the more wealth you can build.
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 15, 2014, 2:32:44 PM
great post while i can confirm the linking game i cant vouch for corruption BUT

im a little bit disappointed you forgot to mention masters, there are some rampage players that managed to get more wealth in 2 months than some of the long-term standard players.

Basically it works the same as the linking method, get one of the desired ilvl 77 items like some Harbringer bows or ambusher daggers get some alterations and roll.

When starting with an apropriate amount of alterations/regals lets say 10 ex in alterations/regals starting point. You dont even need elreon lvl 8 there are some services in trade forum that offer it for extremely low fee like 2 chaos.

There is no way you gonna end up with less than 10 ex. Check for example bow prices, those 350+ pDps Harbringers right now are so dramatically overpriced i cant believe it myself.

Take for example Death Guide Harbinger Bow 359.1 pDps Bow on
http://poe.trade/search/amehizazahitiw

Its a fairly good bow with a decent crit chance, but the real crafting cost of this item was not more than 4 exalted probably not even the half if a little lucky (not counting elreon cost). Just check names of sellers from time to time, you will realize some of them are always the same, for example check the sellers name of listed bow and look what other bow he sells until then people should have realized what a giant rippoff this is if they would pay this overpriced cost.

And yet that bow is set for 40 ex b/o and i know that someone will probably be desperate enough to buy it. The thing is such a bow would require less than 10 ex in alteration to craft still people pay more than double sometimes more than tripple the initial crafting cost.

Important Edit
The funny thing is you can even combine the fusing ripoff with the crafting ripoff for double profit ripoff, like lets say you want to make your own 6 link bow basically what you do is roll a few apropriate bows that you would want to use (anything thats more than 350 pdps is enough to trivialize endgame content) then start linking once you hit 5 link sell for profit, for some reason people pay more than 3 ex addition to its original price than linking it themselves, now go on with next bow, reiterate until you hit 6 link = GG profit.

And lets not forget about all the other bows that roll on the way to such a bow as you dont just roll one harbringer until hes really good you can sell the halfway decent for big profit.

I made myself 35 exalteds this way out of air in addition to my own selfmade 6 link bow, which is laughable compared to other people crafting profit.

And yes it even works now after the nerf of flaring mod just that the profit marging is a little lower.

Last edited by zzang on Oct 15, 2014, 3:01:14 PM
Last edited by EconomySpoiler on Oct 22, 2014, 7:01:41 PM
"
I had a ~350 pDps bow that was 5l 6s'd and I was barely able to get 10 exalts for it. You can, of course, sort the listing by cheapest and there is a 351 5l 6s'd for 11 exalts. That 350 for 40 exa is overpriced hard and I genuinely hope you agree it would be hard as fuck to sell.

You may disagree with me simply because you have had better experiences due to luck and/or skill or a different knowledge set. But I really don't think that bow is going to sell.

Im not saying that he overpriced bow gonna sell for its price but getting like 20 exalted for that bow would be easy as fuck and still the bow isnt even worth the half of this.

At bows its basically crit chance where people willing to pay the price, those 0,5% critchance from 8.7 to 9.2 make a increase in like 5 exalted minimum, for what? i do not know.

I tested one of my selfmade bows that had 9.25 crit chance compared to my 8.8% one the result was it was like 3% more crit chance in the end which i would never pay like 5-10 exalted more than comparable bow with similar damage but i made the experience for some reason people really pay the price even though we are talking here about mid-tier weapons (considering the possible max rolls).

I think you really should add this because not only it gains profit its a lot safer than for example corrupting stuff (of course you need to know the basics of crafting like whats prefix and suffix), and the case we got here is the same; people are overpaying in bows way to hard.

Last edited by zzang on Oct 15, 2014, 4:28:54 PM
"
@tackle70

I have already stated that you don't have to start with 10k fusings. You can do 1 armor at a time. You can start with literally no currency, and just use the currency you gain while playing to link your first armor. After you link your first armor, sell it and link another. You might lose some currency at the start if you're unlucky, but eventually you will get ahead. I think starting with 10 exa is probably more reasonable if you want a solid start with reasonable results. You don't want to be selling 1 armor at a time, 3 or more is better.

Yeah, you are definitely playing a different game than I am. 10ex to start trying for a 6L??? In standard, that's 400 fusings, and I'm guessing not more than twice that in rampage. If you expect to 6L something that quickly and get rich, you should be prepared for the likely outcome that you will instead turn into this guy.

I am not denying that you might be able to get lucky and go from rags to riches, but crafting for profit in this way is not a reliable plan for wealth unless you are already wealthy to begin with.
"
Everything past this point will just be 'bump' unless it's further explanation on some concept to help people. I'm just not debating with people who say 'you're wrong'.

ok.
nice 400+ word bumps
Last edited by EconomySpoiler on Oct 22, 2014, 7:01:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info