[Beyond] K19's CI Crit Ice Spear - Perma Freeze Bosses (10k+ ES)

"
Evangela wrote:
This is actually amazing, my witch is my first char I've had here, and the build I've been doing was purely my own invention, ridiculously close to yours though. I've always disliked freezing pulse due to the smaller range and preffered ice spear.

I'd appreciate it very much if you gave your thoughts, lvl 77 witch on standard league, my talents:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAW8C_gQHB2MOSBBYEQ8RLxFQEZYV1xXnFr8W8xdUGyUdTx3ZHwIfxyKBJjwnqSsKK3gsnCy_LR8vby-dNbk2xTeBQsNDVESrRXxLrkwtTLNQMFKyU9RVrlZKVmNca13yXypknW0ZcLtzs35Zf8aCEIRIhq6IQot6jDaNgo48j6aP-pUgl5eeoZ8BoqOnK6-btve5k8HFwfPDCcNty73R5NkT2VvbXt-E34rfsOL341bk6-aB6QLr5Ov17Bjwa_Id9HE=

Gear:
Spoiler

Note that I haven't been able to reach a 5-6l yet, due to lack of resources, this is my first char and unfortunately I can't be that picky about gear. Currently biggest problem is lack of life leech (and thus Ghost Reaver) because of no Doriany's or 6l to use a gem :/ Thats the next goal though. Running on about 6.3k ES atm. Using cold to fire for both cold resistance maps and to make the most out of the sockets w/o wasting orbs :) Any possible tips are welcome!
I kept hearing how people underestimate this build and say its practically unviable, and it makes me very happy to see your guide, thanks!

P.S. To explain the spell/decoy totem and raise spectre, I've been using those as tanks mostly for the time being, until I get better gear :)

had a quick look through. Regarding the passive tree it mostly looks ok, I'd drop the chance to freeze node and probably fingers of frost, i'd probably loose the nimbleness wheel, and the ele damage at the start of the shadow, and go down towards the scion to get more es/harrier/mana reservation - but on standard I suppose having a bit less ES isn't a problem.

gear wise,

I'd probably look to sell the divinarius and buy a wand with similar spell damage, but crit multi/cast speed (along with crit if possible) as you can probably get a pretty decent one from the 20c you get from divinarius. Also, try to buy one that you can craft 1% cold leech on, this will sort out your leech problem (then you can spec into ghost reaver). Or, as you are on standard - you could probably get your hands on a Berek's Grip fairly easily (maybe after upgrading the rest of your gear) and use the leech from that.

Rathpith is good for the spell damage/block, but if you are struggling for ES you can sell it to buy a higher ES shield, (you should be able to get 400+ with the currency from rathpith).

Boots are good

Gloves are good but you will struggle to sustain the mana cost as you go into end game with a 5l/6l, so you could grab maligaro's instead.

Jewelery all looks ok - you can min/max that as you get more currency.

I'd replace the Rime Gaze when you can afford a similar (or higher) ES helm with resists.

Regarding the chest, I'd buy a white 5l chest, spam alts untill you get 100+ flat es and a resist, then regal + master ES% craft, to get yourself a 400+ 5l es chest.
IGN - Kinespear
"
k19 wrote:
"
Evangela wrote:
This is actually amazing, my witch is my first char I've had here, and the build I've been doing was purely my own invention, ridiculously close to yours though. I've always disliked freezing pulse due to the smaller range and preffered ice spear.

I'd appreciate it very much if you gave your thoughts, lvl 77 witch on standard league, my talents:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAW8C_gQHB2MOSBBYEQ8RLxFQEZYV1xXnFr8W8xdUGyUdTx3ZHwIfxyKBJjwnqSsKK3gsnCy_LR8vby-dNbk2xTeBQsNDVESrRXxLrkwtTLNQMFKyU9RVrlZKVmNca13yXypknW0ZcLtzs35Zf8aCEIRIhq6IQot6jDaNgo48j6aP-pUgl5eeoZ8BoqOnK6-btve5k8HFwfPDCcNty73R5NkT2VvbXt-E34rfsOL341bk6-aB6QLr5Ov17Bjwa_Id9HE=

Gear:
Spoiler

Note that I haven't been able to reach a 5-6l yet, due to lack of resources, this is my first char and unfortunately I can't be that picky about gear. Currently biggest problem is lack of life leech (and thus Ghost Reaver) because of no Doriany's or 6l to use a gem :/ Thats the next goal though. Running on about 6.3k ES atm. Using cold to fire for both cold resistance maps and to make the most out of the sockets w/o wasting orbs :) Any possible tips are welcome!
I kept hearing how people underestimate this build and say its practically unviable, and it makes me very happy to see your guide, thanks!

P.S. To explain the spell/decoy totem and raise spectre, I've been using those as tanks mostly for the time being, until I get better gear :)

had a quick look through. Regarding the passive tree it mostly looks ok, I'd drop the chance to freeze node and probably fingers of frost, i'd probably loose the nimbleness wheel, and the ele damage at the start of the shadow, and go down towards the scion to get more es/harrier/mana reservation - but on standard I suppose having a bit less ES isn't a problem.

gear wise,

I'd probably look to sell the divinarius and buy a wand with similar spell damage, but crit multi/cast speed (along with crit if possible) as you can probably get a pretty decent one from the 20c you get from divinarius. Also, try to buy one that you can craft 1% cold leech on, this will sort out your leech problem (then you can spec into ghost reaver). Or, as you are on standard - you could probably get your hands on a Berek's Grip fairly easily (maybe after upgrading the rest of your gear) and use the leech from that.

Rathpith is good for the spell damage/block, but if you are struggling for ES you can sell it to buy a higher ES shield, (you should be able to get 400+ with the currency from rathpith).

Boots are good

Gloves are good but you will struggle to sustain the mana cost as you go into end game with a 5l/6l, so you could grab maligaro's instead.

Jewelery all looks ok - you can min/max that as you get more currency.

I'd replace the Rime Gaze when you can afford a similar (or higher) ES helm with resists.

Regarding the chest, I'd buy a white 5l chest, spam alts untill you get 100+ flat es and a resist, then regal + master ES% craft, to get yourself a 400+ 5l es chest.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I did some changes to the talent tree, swapped some new pieces of gear and finaly got Doryani's so I took Ghost Reaver, I'll make some more changes to it towards your suggestion, that was initially the plan as well, to get the Foresight node.
Current gear:
Spoiler

I actually did some tests with Herald of Thunder, I have it connected with Curse on Hit and Frostbite, works perfectly! Pretty much 95% uptime, that + cold to fire and the dps is really good, actually makes me consider testing in Elemental Equilibrium (theoretically it could work the same way curse on hit works, the active from HoT would trigger EE, increasing lightning resistance on mobs and reducing cold/fire resistances), if i decide to stay with both Heralds and cold to fire.

The mana is indeed a huge problem though, to deal with while running Discipline and both Heralds. I was thinking of possibly using mana leech gem once I get a 5th link, if it nets a better dps than a crit multiplier gem, so that I could keep both heralds and Discipline up. Could always swap if crit multiplier grants more dps anyways.
And yeah, getting a 5l white chest was my idea as well but I haven't ran into anyone selling one yet, the yellow ones with high es that I've seen being sold are like 5-10 ex, a bit ridiculous I'd say. Oh well, no hurry =)

Thanks for your reply once again, cheers!
Last edited by Evangela on Oct 27, 2014, 2:24:22 AM
is quality important on ice spear ?

edit : also is there a way to add the new herald of tunder to this build ?

I find the skill pretty strong, it doesnt shock the enemies but it stuns them when it hit which is a good defense for us
Last edited by reskone on Oct 27, 2014, 10:47:33 AM
"
reskone wrote:
is quality important on ice spear ?

edit : also is there a way to add the new herald of tunder to this build ?

I find the skill pretty strong, it doesnt shock the enemies but it stuns them when it hit which is a good defense for us

Quality on Ice spear is always nice, it makes freezing things easier as the projectiles get there alot quicker, but its not essential. if you can't afford a quality one, they don't worry - if you can, its worth it.

Herald of Thunder I'm in the process of testing - the added lightning does actually shock enemies (if you deal enough damage - one reason crit multi > cold pen, as it will increase all damage and not just cold) the problem I'm having is trying to run 3 auras - Herald of Ice/Herald of Thunder and Discipline. I'm trying to fix it with increasing my maximum mana, though I have mana on my ring and my helmet and a few nodes on the tree - and its still not very nice.

I'm also waiting until herald of Thunder is lvl 19-20, so its worth using instead of added lightning.

Will update the thread when I find a decent solution.
IGN - Kinespear
Thanks for answer, i was wondering because i found a 19% one, but i have only like 2exalted (total currency) so i think i better sell it to get enough curency for a good gear.

And about mana i'm not sure at all but maybe u can add to that (herald tunder/ice discipline) a middle leveled clarity, with all %regen mana in the tree it may cover the spam of ice spear even if u end up with a mana pool of 100 (i only speculate i have no idea if it would works)

anyways thanks for this build im only lvl 53 but it works realy well for now (i have ice spear - lmp - pierce -faster casting)
"
reskone wrote:
Thanks for answer, i was wondering because i found a 19% one, but i have only like 2exalted (total currency) so i think i better sell it to get enough curency for a good gear.

And about mana i'm not sure at all but maybe u can add to that (herald tunder/ice discipline) a middle leveled clarity, with all %regen mana in the tree it may cover the spam of ice spear even if u end up with a mana pool of 100 (i only speculate i have no idea if it would works)

anyways thanks for this build im only lvl 53 but it works realy well for now (i have ice spear - lmp - pierce -faster casting)

To be honest if you found a 19% one, you should use it, as when you come round to wanting to buy a quality one, you will want a high level one - and it will be much more expensive than leveling it yourself.

I've tried using different levels of clarity, and they don't seem to make much difference, because we only have around 80% mana regen on the tree. Even with my SRS friend running lvl 20 super buffed clarity, I doesn't let me sustain Ice Spear - as with a 6l it costs me 140 mana per cast and I cast around 2 per second (4 really due to spell echo). getting 280 mana regen is pretty hard without getting mana/regen on alot more pieces of gear. To get around this I use Berek's Grip for 5% mana leech, and used to just use 2x surgeons flasks as specified in my guide.
IGN - Kinespear
Last edited by k19 on Oct 28, 2014, 9:08:19 AM
I see so that ring is an important part i will get it in the future ^^, well i died anyways lol

vaal merciless : we was a duo and vaal decided to drop rock on both of us and at that moment we were at the same place so we took all the rocks and instantly died :(

but your build was working pretty well i'll do this one again in next league :)
"
reskone wrote:
I see so that ring is an important part i will get it in the future ^^, well i died anyways lol

vaal merciless : we was a duo and vaal decided to drop rock on both of us and at that moment we were at the same place so we took all the rocks and instantly died :(

but your build was working pretty well i'll do this one again in next league :)

Awh, thats sucks man - sorry to hear it, Vaal is one of the most annoying bosses, he has the highest cold resistance of all the bosses - which actually makes 74 maze boss is almost as hard to freeze as 77 shrine piety.

P.s If the falling rocks killed you - you didn't have enough life/should have been running a granite :) only dangerous part of vaal should be the smash.
IGN - Kinespear
Hey k19, thanks alot for this thread.

I ripped my Arc-er last night, so I am gonna give this build a go.

What's your thought on switching the 3 x 10% spelldamage nodes for the 3 x 4% cast speed nodes at the witch starting area? (at least for leveling towards mapping)

I generally like it more, especially on Beyond/Hardcore chars, when a build feels responsive. Something which faster casting helps to achieve. Especially when you start cursing frequently.
Last edited by Arachnan on Oct 29, 2014, 8:42:57 AM
"
Arachnan wrote:
Hey k19, thanks alot for this thread.

I ripped my Arc-er last night, so I am gonna give this build a go.

What's your thought on switching the 3 x 10% spelldamage nodes for the 3 x 4% cast speed nodes at the witch starting area? (at least for leveling towards mapping)

I generally like it more, especially on Beyond/Hardcore chars, when a build feels responsive. Something which faster casting helps to achieve. Especially when you start cursing frequently.

Hey,

for end game, spell damage is the way to go, as when you are running FC and spell echo, you have enough cast speed for the build to feel very responsive (hence why I don't run cold pen, you have to lose FC/Echo).

But if you don't have a 6l, and therefore aren't using both cast spell gems/ don't have much cast speed, swapping the spell damage for the cast speed is fine.

Basically, when it comes down to freezing, the minimum freeze time is 0.3 seconds, so really, you don't want to have cast speed going past that point, otherwise you aren't really gaining freezing potential. my cast time is around 0.33ish, so just on the border.

In short:

Yes, its fine - though you probably won't need them in end game.
IGN - Kinespear

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info