Re"rolling"? seriously?!

I play Moria/Angband, which kind of makes DnD look like a bitch when it comes to dice rolls, and even I find this thread ridiculous. How did you play dnd, play this game, and somehow miss the three decades in between?
HAIL SATAN!
saying rolling a char when you don't is fine is, when taken to its extreme, the same as saying

"jlkasdf skadlfj isdfj"

is a meaningful sentence.

language has rules FOR A REASON. as does logic.

it's just so STUPID to use a word that almost fits the bill but clearly doesn't in the end.

farming -> makes sense
grinding -> makes sense
rerolling -> NO FOR FUCK'S SAKE NO

and btw, I've never heard this term outside of this forum. nobody calls it that. nobody
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
everybody calls it that, maybe you need to get out more ;)
"
LMTR14 wrote:
and btw, I've never heard this term outside of this forum. nobody calls it that. nobody

You're not really playing many computer or console games (RPGs), then. Even people in WoW use it, and many of those have little general gaming background. It's a very widely used term for switching classes or starting new characters.
I roll joints, I re-roll joints badly made, but I also re-roll chars (toons is too ugly).
♦▲◄▼►▲♦ @Kadush ♦▲◄▼►▲♦
Last edited by jeonitsoc on Sep 23, 2014, 9:24:34 AM
Makes perfect sense to me. To 'reroll' a character in an ARPG (or just an RPG) is well within the boundaries of what the game genre is. An RPG is a 'Role' Playing Game, which means you play a character that takes on a specific role and you play it via the medium you're in. In PoE that means that your character's 'role' could be:

1. CoC-style Wand Witch
2. LA Bow Crit Ranger
3. One-handed Axe Infernal Blow Templar

And the list goes on and on and on. You talk about language having meaningful rules and logic, but language also has 'flexibility' and not as much rigidity as you like to think. If that were truly the case, then by all logic language should cease to grow and adapt when said language has a word/phrase that allows for the knowing and classification of everything that is either material or immaterial. In fact, logically speaking, it is almost 'illogical' to have multiple words that can describe the same thing or have meanings so similar to one another that they would be considered redundant and thus a waste in terms of people trying to remember them all or when and how to use them.

Thankfully, language doesn't have such silly rigidity and it is something that is ever-growing and evolving. Now, as for the term 're-rolling'...one could argue that perhaps 're-role' would technically be more accurate as that is what you are doing...assigning a character a different role. However, even that doesn't quite fit because that assumes you are using the same character and changing his/her role from one thing to another, but what if you are using an entirely different character? You may have that character take on a different role, but it is an entirely different character, still, and by all technical logic 're-role' doesn't quite fit the bill either.

'Re-rolling' makes a bit more sense since to 'roll' is also to move along/on, and this works. You are moving along from your old character onto a new one, potentially abandoning the old one for something entirely new, and thus 're-rolling' makes perfect sense. In the end, this is all a semantics argument but long and short of it, 're-rolling' is neither wrong nor stupid for someone to say when they are changing a character around to fulfill a different need/role in the game they play in the RPG genre.
"
jeonitsoc wrote:
I roll joints, I re-roll joints badly made, but I also re-roll chars (toons is too ugly).

Damn right, toons can die in a house fire.
HAIL SATAN!
"
You're like a confused grammar naz....you know the word.

Nazgul?! Hey, that's not very PC! Keep your LOTRism to yourself.
"
LMTR14 wrote:
saying rolling a char when you don't is fine is, when taken to its extreme, the same as saying

"jlkasdf skadlfj isdfj"

is a meaningful sentence.

language has rules FOR A REASON. as does logic.

it's just so STUPID to use a word that almost fits the bill but clearly doesn't in the end.

farming -> makes sense
grinding -> makes sense
rerolling -> NO FOR FUCK'S SAKE NO

People in WoW would say reroll all the time.

Grinding only makes sense to you because people already use it ironically. They call going to work the daily grind... what are you grinding? Unless you work in a mill you aren't grinding anything. You have simply come to accept this term for doing a task over and over.

Farming actually doesn't make sense either. Did you plant seeds? Or raise the livestock? No, you are going out into the world and reaping from "nature". You are hunting and gathering, there is no farming involved. Domesticate some rhoas and harvest their feathers, then we can talk farming.

Look, I'm not trying to be an ass, just making a point. I don't typically say reroll, and I will never call any of my characters a "toon", but sometimes you need to accept that you cannot control the language on the internet. I wont ever blame you if you never use the term, but getting others to stop is like fighting the tide.
I can see your / Back is turned and / If I could I'd / Stick my knife in.
Crawl Away, TOOL

Don't get hacked. Make a new email for your account and use a long password.
"
Nubatron wrote:
You might be a little to caught up in the literal meaning it had with old RPGs. It has taken on a larger meaning as things have evolved.

Rerolling has been a term in RPGs for longer than a decade. Way to fight the tides, though.

VI

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info