Re"rolling"? seriously?!

"
PitzerMike wrote:
"
Whats going on in this thread?

Spoiler

Cool. Is this a space construction worker? Cause he has a brick trowel in his hand.

Nah, its the goalie from the Death Star Social Ice Hockey Team.

His name is Harold, and thats a blade from his skate that he has been sharpening.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
I love you, Mark. <3
I agree, I got really excited when I heard about Obamacare. Then to my surprise Obama did not come over to take care of me. Wait a sec, Im going to go take a dump.
Mark to the rescue. :)

Destroyed the poor guy with simple logic.

About the guy mark replied to:
Farming as something he understood but not rerolling surprised me. Is he standing on a farm in POE and taking care of the crop field? I doubt it but who knows. Same thing with grinding, does he grind up on other chars? Maybe, i dunno, im not him so i dont do that. Maybe he does.

Rerolling is kinda wrong for me only because i dont reroll i just roll. I make a char and thats it. No char gets deleted after moving from 1 league to another with the exception of race chars but those arent remade after their task is done so rerolling doesnt apply there either.

I do understand that many just delete a HC char or when a char moves from temp to perm leagues and make a new char in the next temp league. Thats understood, universally, as rerolling.

In addition i owe Cookies to mark now. ;)
Rerolling is just an old term used in D&D times. And it isn't any more outdated then other popular words like "online". Online is based on the assumption that you are in fact connected with a wire. So if you take it literally a smart phone can never be online except if you connect it with a wire.

And I assume there are thousands of other words in the english language that aren't correct anymore if you take them literally. Since I'm not a native english speaker I might not know all of them, but in german we have the term "Gas geben" for acceleration, which actually never was right in the first place (it was just a terrible translation, since gas in german isn't a term for the fuel), but in the times of electric cars it is even more wrong.
OP, do you hang up your cellphone?
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
I just wanted to chime in and say that I, too, remember having used this term for quite a long time; far more than a decade.

For the nostalgic readers, a quick google books search brings up this 1989 PC Magazine review of Destiny Knight, The Bard's Tale II, which includes:

"
Destiny Knight begins in the tiny town of Tangramayne, one of six cities in a region known only as "the wilderness". You start by assembling your troupe from among a choice of humans, dwarves, hobbits, elves, gnomes, half-elves, and half-orcs. Each member is rated for luck, strength, dexterity, and weapons ability (if you don't like the results, you can "re-roll" for new ratings).

By this time, the term "re-roll" had already been in use by players of paper-based RPGs for quite a long time (I know, because I was one of them), and was being appropriated to describe the computer RPG equivalent.
- here's my sig
Several early computer RPGs (such as bards tale) actually did "roll" random stats in the same way pen & paper RPGs did (eg, 3d6) and often had an option to "reroll" until you were happy. I even recall one game which showed a little animated dice icon when you did so. Those games are the obvious bridge which brought the term into CRPGs.

If it makes you that uncomfortable to use in PoE, think of it as translating to "Gambling for the beginners luck achievement".
"
Qetuth wrote:
Several early computer RPGs (such as bards tale) actually did "roll" random stats in the same way pen & paper RPGs did (eg, 3d6) and often had an option to "reroll" until you were happy. I even recall one game which showed a little animated dice icon when you did so. Those games are the obvious bridge which brought the term into CRPGs.

If it makes you that uncomfortable to use in PoE, think of it as translating to "Gambling for the beginners luck achievement".

I remember spending hours rerolling my characters in Buck Rogers - Countdown To Doomsday, trying to get the best stats I could.

It was only years later when I replayed it for nostalgia reasons that I realised you could just manually change them :(

Good times. Why has no one remade that game, anyways?
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
LMTR14 wrote:
saying rolling a char when you don't is fine is, when taken to its extreme, the same as saying

"jlkasdf skadlfj isdfj"

is a meaningful sentence.
Is it genuinely your position that using a word in a figurative rather than literal sense is equivalent in any way to presenting clear non-words as meaningful? Because it really seems like it, but that makes no sense to me at all, so I really need to ask for clarification.

"
LMTR14 wrote:
it's just so STUPID to use a word that almost fits the bill but clearly doesn't in the end.

farming -> makes sense
grinding -> makes sense
rerolling -> NO FOR FUCK'S SAKE NO
I would contend that rerolling makes more sense than the other two, as the activity described by the figurative meaning of the term is much closer to the activity described by the literal meaning of the term. But regardless of that, all three are clear examples of figurative language, and you've provided no reason or argument to back up why you feel this one should be judged differently to the other two.

"
LMTR14 wrote:
and btw, I've never heard this term outside of this forum.
That's surprising, but sure, not unbelieveable. However this:
"
LMTR14 wrote:
nobody calls it that. nobody
is most definitely not reasonable to conclude just because you haven't heard it.
It's also untrue. The term is in wide use in this meaning and has been for a significant period of time - some quick googling indicates certainly more than a decade.

(And if you're so concerned with being literal and correct, the very fact you made this thread because people were calling it that demonstrates that you saying "nobody calls it that" is far less correct than anyone using "rerolling" in this way).

Excuse me for interupting your triumph over this player on this super important issue but there are gamebreaking problems within the game that GGG does not seem to wish to address, is there a reason as to why these issues are repeatedly ignored? Do such issues simply not fall under such a high priority as the correct use of the word reroll?
IGNs - GotBrainDamageInIntro

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info