Re"rolling"? seriously?!

"
LMTR14 wrote:
saying rolling a char when you don't is fine is, when taken to its extreme, the same as saying

"jlkasdf skadlfj isdfj"

is a meaningful sentence.
Is it genuinely your position that using a word in a figurative rather than literal sense is equivalent in any way to presenting clear non-words as meaningful? Because it really seems like it, but that makes no sense to me at all, so I really need to ask for clarification.

"
LMTR14 wrote:
it's just so STUPID to use a word that almost fits the bill but clearly doesn't in the end.

farming -> makes sense
grinding -> makes sense
rerolling -> NO FOR FUCK'S SAKE NO
I would contend that rerolling makes more sense than the other two, as the activity described by the figurative meaning of the term is much closer to the activity described by the literal meaning of the term. But regardless of that, all three are clear examples of figurative language, and you've provided no reason or argument to back up why you feel this one should be judged differently to the other two.

"
LMTR14 wrote:
and btw, I've never heard this term outside of this forum.
That's surprising, but sure, not unbelieveable. However this:
"
LMTR14 wrote:
nobody calls it that. nobody
is most definitely not reasonable to conclude just because you haven't heard it.
It's also untrue. The term is in wide use in this meaning and has been for a significant period of time - some quick googling indicates certainly more than a decade.

(And if you're so concerned with being literal and correct, the very fact you made this thread because people were calling it that demonstrates that you saying "nobody calls it that" is far less correct than anyone using "rerolling" in this way).
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Sep 24, 2014, 12:57:20 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info