The menu button change is counterintuitive

Agree with the OP, new menu button sucks
I'm glad GGG did not RUSH to replace the menu button artwork....
this was not a rushworthy goal. I recall GGG rushing like
madmen to fix game / server breaking code... skipping days off
and staying at the shop overnight. there are several instances of this.

that said :D

use the hotkeys.

this is not criticism of op, and the others troubled. but hotkeys are always
faster.

I -nventory
C -har screen
S -ocial screen
ESC - main menu

the other hotkeys I don't know, they are not useful to me.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Necrogue wrote:
The only thing it did was add an extra click.
False. It replaced a set of eight tiny, somewhat hard to interpret icons with no explanatory text until you hover over them (made harder because of their small size) for a single, labelled button directing players that this area of the UI is for the main game menu (which was not obvious before, as the buttons themselves didn't communicate this visually) that's bigger and easier to click, and a larger menu with space for a textual description of each of the buttons making them easier to understand and learn the hotkeys for, and making each of them them easier to click once the menu's up by giving them more horizontal space to click on rather than just the tiny button to click on.
The cost of this was an additional click necessary to access any of the items in the menu, yes, but you're intentionally ignoring one entire side of the tradeoff.

Eh... I think most people that play your game knew what the buttons did. To have much impact, things like this should have been address before your big release. Really... just an extra click for your core players.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
It blows my mind that some people use the mouse to open their inventory. No offense, I just couldn't imagine anyone doing that.
"
Sa_Re wrote:
It blows my mind that some people use the mouse to open their inventory. No offense, I just couldn't imagine anyone doing that.

Little reason to touch the keyboard after auras are up for some players. Depends on your mouse/build, I guess.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
Sa_Re wrote:

Generally, me neither, unless maybe somebody has a real brute of a char and likes playing with one hand and scratching his balls with another. But let me repost this from previous page, as it says, I really did use the button in one particular situation but had to stop because it became awkward. Not a gamebreaker by any stretch but reason enough for me to claim it wasn't an improvement.

"
I got a nice little story about that new button.

To get it out of the way, I haven't really been using any of them normally, that's what the shortcuts are for, Z-char screen, X-inventory, C-skill tree... got the same setup in all games that have those functions.

However, there was a situation when I did. As I start typing a message, I sometimes want to link an item from my inventory, and that's where shortcut keys fail to work. So I'd just hit the inventory button and link the item.

Now I exit the chat window, hit inventory shortcut, open chat again and call back the message I started. It's faster.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
"
Sa_Re wrote:

Generally, me neither, unless maybe somebody has a real brute of a char and likes playing with one hand and scratching his balls with another.

Full Foxtactics mode? Even then I'd bind it to a mouse button. :P

"
raics wrote:
But let me repost this from previous page

Yeah that's a reason I can comprehend. But I meant the people that always use the mouse. It's just so inconvenient to click, no matter if one or two times.
"
"
I prefer the new menu. I've never been able to figure out the meaning of the old icons, especially the inventory one.

Yeah, we should all keep in mind that there are people for whom to remember 8 icons isnt possible. And allow GGG to release new stuff for that contingent
Maybe because I almost exclusively use the shortcuts. But when I'm typing a message in chat and want to link an item, I'm forced to to use this icon and this where I was puzzled by those cryptic icons. Icon with more "iconic" representation would be as good as the new menu, for my usage.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Nov 18, 2014, 1:24:36 PM
I think out of all the issues you can have with the game, this is probably the most trivial, even if, from a usability point of view, I can see where the OP is coming from.

I just can't help but wonder about the fact that among almost three pages of (usually fairly long) feedback threads this is the issues that gets a response :-(
"
vezuial wrote:
I think out of all the issues you can have with the game, this is probably the most trivial, even if, from a usability point of view, I can see where the OP is coming from.

May be trivial, but there was no issue previously, at least I never saw any 'icons are ugly and unreadable' threads. A right step towards fixing existing issues is trying not to introduce new ones.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info