The menu button change is counterintuitive

The only thing it did was add an extra click. The purpose of a pull-down menu or the Windows start button is to save space by not having the entire menu on the screen at all times.

The PoE menu button takes up the same amount of space as the old menu:

The extra click is pretty annoying whenever I'm in a rush to get to the next persons hideout in the rotation order, when I enter an unidentified area and need to check my resists or when I just want to see who's online.

I kind of feel like the menu button was thrown in so they could call the change an "interface update" rather than only removing the life and mana globe girls(which was part of their plans at the time). http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/public/chris/augteaser2.jpg

Was this whole "interface update" because of Anita Sarkeesian and the "the gaming industry is sexist" thing, because she kind of lied about being a gamer?

http://youtu.be/WL0-AKOjgHQ

Please bring back the original menu :^C

Edit: Here is the dev reply:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1060873/filter-account-type/staff

Edit: I can see where they would need to change the menu to add more options but the thing about the globe girls being placeholder art for roman dudes is kind of confusing.
Berek's Grip Ice Spear
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/780707
Budget Magicfind and/or Hardcore Flame Totem
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211543
Last edited by Necrogue on Mar 2, 2015, 11:18:53 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
You'll get used to it and then it wont matter. The original buttons weren't obvious. You had to hover over them to find the effect you wanted. It was much more cumbersome than the current menu. You're comparing the new thing that you're not used to to the old thing that you were. Objectively, you should be comparing your experiences with the old system when you first encountered it to the new one.

The new one is better. For now, it doesn't seem that way... but it is.

Eventually, they're going to be the same functionality so we should go with the one that's easier for a new player to use. There's keystrokes for everything too... just get used to using those.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Sep 18, 2014, 2:15:58 PM
i vouch op
i agree op, i am not a fan of this trend of putting the easy to use buttons behind shiny drop down menu button. It has happened relatively recently in about 4 other games I play/played, and can only be described as a UI design trend, one that I just dont see the advantages of, unless they are assuming everyone just uses hot keys for all the menus, which would be a folly imo.
Hey...is this thing on?
It's bad enough that the HUD is cluttered with pop-up crap that interferes with gameplay. Adding another gratuitous menu is just another indication that PoE is not seriously intended for hardcore gameplay.
Can you see where I'm coming from now that Matt Taylor (Rosetta comet lander scientist) has been bullied to tears for the shirt he was wearing. GGG needs to get the big picture before siding with toxic SJWs.
Berek's Grip Ice Spear
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/780707
Budget Magicfind and/or Hardcore Flame Totem
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211543
"
Necrogue wrote:
The only thing it did was add an extra click.
False. It replaced a set of eight tiny, somewhat hard to interpret icons with no explanatory text until you hover over them (made harder because of their small size) for a single, labelled button directing players that this area of the UI is for the main game menu (which was not obvious before, as the buttons themselves didn't communicate this visually) that's bigger and easier to click, and a larger menu with space for a textual description of each of the buttons making them easier to understand and learn the hotkeys for, and making each of them them easier to click once the menu's up by giving them more horizontal space to click on rather than just the tiny button to click on.
The cost of this was an additional click necessary to access any of the items in the menu, yes, but you're intentionally ignoring one entire side of the tradeoff.

"
Necrogue wrote:
The PoE menu button takes up the same amount of space as the old menu
It lets us fit more items on the menu in future as necessary, where before there was no room to do so. Adding a new menu panel to the game no longer requires us to pick between leaving it without a button, kicking an onld one out of the menu area, or making more space by resizing things.

The ability to understand the menu for new players, and to learn the hotkeys for various tabs, has been improved, and the need to click on a specific tiny are of the screen reduced, at the cost of an extra click for accessing these items via this menu. There's no cost at all for experienced players who know all the hotkeys and use those to access the various screens and panels on the menu, which has always been the fastest way to do so anyway, and the one I would expect most of our long-term players to use the majority of the time. This is hardly as one-sided as you're presenting it.

Your attempt to re-frame the art lead's desire to remove long-term placeholder art and replace it - as was always intended - with art more fitting to the game world and covering less of the orbs, to fit your own agenda strikes me as in poor taste at best, and I would strongly recommend against anyone pushing the thread further down that path, as it leads no-where good. I'd hate for people to post constructive criticism and useful feedback about previous or potential future changes to the UI here only for the thread to have to be locked for other reasons.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Nov 16, 2014, 12:08:58 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
placeholder art

After all these years, even after open beta and the game was officially released, and even after multiple expansions, this game still has placeholder graphics?

I want to believe that this is a lie or the result of miscommunication than to think you guys are this lazy...

Plus, and this is just my opinion: how is a couple of naked old men more fitting than a couple of naked ladies?
"Of course we balance knowing players will Alt-F4 out of there."
- Qarl
"
Deankar wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
placeholder art

After all these years, even after open beta and the game was officially released, and even after multiple expansions, this game still has placeholder graphics?

I want to believe that this is a lie or the result of miscommunication than to think you guys are this lazy...

Plus, and this is just my opinion: how is a couple of naked old men more fitting than a couple of naked ladies?

While I agree with the last part, let's not go down that road.

On the part of placeholder art, there's still lots of this in game. Think of it this way, would you rather have new content, or some art models replaced first? They have to prioritize little things like art changes (no offense Russell) in the UI vs. having new monster art or future new enemies. Those should come first.
Agree it's retarded like those ribbons in all programs now. Don't get why they change stuff you took time to learn all those icons and now have to do two steps.
Git R Dun!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info