[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Hi Sovyn,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I understand now much better about your choice. It makes sense. And I also like the fact that IC is not necessary :) (gives the feeling that the build is even more solid)

I am now going to start the build and enjoy every step :)

I am not a new player neither a hardcore-gamer one. I have a pretty ok feel for the game. But, lately I have been crazy on trading and got plenty of good gears as well as tried a LOT of builds (I am sorta a reroll master lol). Recently I kinda got lost in all these theory-crafting (mine went wrong 99% of the time).
So I was looking for an authentic builds, born from guts and sweat and where every skill points have been spent with wisdom (which is the first impression I had when I checked your skill tree - like an enlightenment lol).
I also want to start playing hardcore because I want everything to matter (compared to equipping whatever unique leveling gears with no care and dash to lvl 60-70 -not respecting the game somehow- then start whatever OP build without understanding the ins and outs deeply).
Finally, I want to play self-found as well. I understand that the end-game content forces players to trade. In time, I shall trade. However, I hope I won`t have to use poe.trade (keeping it to friends and trade chat. After all, the currency system is a crafting system before anything else).

This builds, and the care inserted in-between lines, answers my hopes.
Taking off now :)

Thanks again.
gl&hf

PS1: sorry for my heavy writing, no dramatics intended.
PS2: only thing I might do different is that I will play a Scion (cosmetics).
"
HuXiao wrote:
Hi Sovyn,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Finally, I want to play self-found as well.

PS2: only thing I might do different is that I will play a Scion (cosmetics).

Self-found: I did that with a much older version of this build (mostly same ideas) until level 80 or so. Definitely have to farm and get ahead some on the levels before tackling content, so it's not what most people expect, that is, you do all content only once. The game only went to Piety then and that was all but it was quite doable. Did maps up to I think 74 or so, my map pool did not extend higher than that self-found. Lack of currency you know. Note that combining hardcore with strict self-found is extremely hard with any build. I wish you luck, quite a challenge you have set for yourself.

Scion is fine, head to RT first.
Random fun thing while playing this build:

I'm about level 50 on my scion and came upon a 55ish Haku mission full of SRS. I walked in through it and noticed my health not even dropping, and that was thanks to having both Reckoning and Riposte linked to LGoH. I pulled the Karui Spirit out, went back in to do some cleanup, then figured I'd go AFK since my health didn't even drop under 75% the entire time. Came back after making food and drink and there my girl is standing there without a care at all about the SRS. This was with only 45% block total.

Thank you for the great build!
Last edited by Jackinthegreen on Sep 21, 2015, 12:03:48 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:
Crossed my mind you might! Reckoning is much better for us for curse on hit. Vengeance is just something to put on the stun setup just for the heck of it, Riposte would do most of the work there. As you surmised, vengeance has a somewhat low chance to actually do anything, probably somewhere around 8% chance for me after factoring evasion, block, then the 40% chance, then accuracy.

From Wiki about block:

"
On hit effects from skills like Glacial Hammer and Viper Strike will still apply because block doesn't prevent a successful hit.

So I think vengeance will trigger often even if your block chance is high, since you are hit no matter if you block or not. I use mine like so:

And I often cull through Vengeance.
IGN: AlCohonez, GhengizCohen
Last edited by piotras on Sep 21, 2015, 6:08:04 AM
"
Random fun thing while playing this build:

I'm about level 50 on my scion and came upon a 55ish Haku mission full of SRS. I walked in through it and noticed my health not even dropping, and that was thanks to having both Reckoning and Riposte linked to LGoH. I pulled the Karui Spirit out, went back in to do some cleanup, then figured I'd go AFK since my health didn't even drop under 75% the entire time. Came back after making food and drink and there my girl is standing there without a care at all about the SRS. This was with only 45% block total.

Thank you for the great build!

I've been favouring this setup as well. Reckoning + LGoH + CoH + Enfeeble in a 4L, and Riposte + Vengeance + CE + LL in another. I find it aids sustainability more than endurance charges gained from ECoS in higher maps/more difficult mods because we wouldn't always get our charges depending on how tough the mobs are or how weakened we are, while the life gained/leeched is more consistent.
"
piotras wrote:

From Wiki about block:

"
On hit effects from skills like Glacial Hammer and Viper Strike will still apply because block doesn't prevent a successful hit.

So I think vengeance will trigger often even if your block chance is high, since you are hit no matter if you block or not. I use mine like so:

I wonder if this ought to be tested in game. Attacking against a decent block character with Unwavering Stance and no form of dodge, etc would confirm the behavior.

"
Quixote77 wrote:

I've been favouring this setup as well. Reckoning + LGoH + CoH + Enfeeble in a 4L, and Riposte + Vengeance + CE + LL in another. I find it aids sustainability more than endurance charges gained from ECoS in higher maps/more difficult mods because we wouldn't always get our charges depending on how tough the mobs are or how weakened we are, while the life gained/leeched is more consistent.

Yeah, I'm not so fond of ECoS in this build since it doesn't invest at all into stuns and gear alone won't make it reliable enough.

Hm, I need to slot LL in my setup sometime... LGoH might not be enough later on.
I'm using ECoS with riposte and stun and I found that I rarely get EC up when I'm clearing white mobs quickly but whenever I encounter something which actually requires a few more hits like magic and rare mobs my EC start to fill up. So I wouldn't say it's such a bad combo, but it kinda sucks that you can't charge up when you need it.
IGN: AlCohonez, GhengizCohen
I died.

Lvl29. Haku daily mission. Like a noob by the blue mobs near the Karui Spirit. Pressed altF4 but was not enough.

The build is great though. I had a super smooth/safe run through. I was just not paying attention...probably because of the daily mission. Can be treacherous. Even in Standard I usually only die to some bosses. This death surprises me. Now I know. Hardcore = no rest.

I really enjoyed the hardcore feel though. Will never play in Standard again. Just in few hours I felt I became a better player with better knowledge of the game (especially items/stats wise). The game felt much more intense too.

Starting over...
Those who want to play more conventionally can manually cast enduring cry as an option. :) I just hate to work that hard as it's really not needed 99% of the time (overkill as we are still very tanky without the charges). Life leech is not a bad option on the counter-attacks instead if one opts for manual EC. LGoH always felt better to me at lower levels as others have mentioned recently. Pretty sure life leech pulls ahead once the linked counter-attack gem(s) are leveled high. The cooldown on counter-attacks mitigates LGoH's usefulness as LGoH has always been best on very fast attacks.
"
HuXiao wrote:
I died.

Lvl29. Haku daily mission.

Haku is hard for a lot of people. The lightning warp totem variation of the Haku boss encounter used to almost get me sometimes. I leveled a Purity of Lightning gem for that and Temple Piety. Used it for Dominus phase one for a while too before he was a complete pushover.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info