[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Kamina100 wrote:
The one that I'm still scared to do is the map version of Vaal Oversoul, because I can't seem to visually the tell the difference between which arm he's raising.

The level 74 legacy map version of Vaal was easy for me, but the map was changed to level 81 in 2.0 and now he's much harder for sure. Did the 81 map with some guys and saw them all RIP without even denting the boss and these were some pretty tuff guys. Of course that was early in 2.0 I'm sure people have it down by now.

I didn't know they moved it to 81. I never gave the 74 one a legit try - just got killed by lasers when the boss wasn't even on the screen. I'm re-leveling my gems now, which is cool. I did have one death shortly after hitting 89 - to Magnus Stonethorn. Didn't get out of the Flameblast (expanding circle of fire thing) and exploded. Oh well.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
I never gave the 74 one a legit try - just got killed by lasers when the boss wasn't even on the screen.

I seem to recall that may have been an issue on various characters without enough spell block / life if I didn't move fast enough to break line of sight for follow-up lasers or didn't have instant flasks.
Sovyn:

I wanted to return and let you know I took my Templar out of storage and put him back to work.

I set him up with Static Strike (only gem 20% quality) and started switching gear in/out until I have something that has a fairly solid foundation.

I am curious regarding the 56k damage you show in the initial post using static strike, you listed various buffs & such that were up to when you registered those numbers. My curiosity stems from the tool tip dps on my guy in the hideout.

With my siege ax: (With Doryani's a little less - <200> I think)
Dps no buffs: 11,641
Dps w/Hatred added: 14,720
Dps w/HOA added: 16,080

Resists:
Fire: 75 - 96
Cold: 75 - 102
Light: 75 - 100
Chaos: -23

Being my guy is only lvl 82 (104 pts) and I have yet to respec to crit, which is where I am thinking the majority of the gap in my dps to yours is from. I realize the level difference as well as the extra nodes we chose over say the next 9 levels come into play as well and yes the quality on the gems also play a roll. But we are talking another 40,000 dps - wow!

My gear is really pretty solid and I have Doryani's waiting to be put on once I switch to crit. My health is sitting on 4k and my next skill point goes to purity of health. I say all this to ask the question about when is the earliest we should start our crit approach.

Should I really wait until I have 113 pts, I don't recall that you had much to say on the matter. I really am a in your face type of player, and even though it is slow going currently and it takes some time to clear out areas, there is little to no risk. I ran a few maps last night, only up to tier 3 and it was pretty easy, but ---> very slooooowwww (compared to the incinerate - cyclone and flame totem builds I have been doing recently) but then again safer by far -- and --- I have time to read the stats on whomever I am fighting which is actually something I do not normally have time to do in those other builds.

My gear:

My armor: 11.2K & 16.6k w/granite - Evasion: 2.7k - I have no mana issues and all in all everything is going great. If memory serves you have around 4.6k life and my guess is that with some equipment adjustments over the next few levels, picking up another 500 health should be doable.

Today I will be setting up my "gems" to complete the package.

BTW - what do you think of my amy/ring set up. It works quite well for life/mana issues and should be a nice bonus going crit, the 50% reduced multiplier may be an amy killer though. I have three Amy's in the wings to try out as well, I'm leaning towards the Mind Braid amy when I go crit, the increased elemental damage may not be a plus though.

Once I start going the crit route I plan to put on as many of these and I can and still maintain the integrity of your build:

I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Many thanks - Ishkabibble

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

USMC - Vietnam 1967 - 1968 - 1969
Last edited by Ishkabibble on Oct 2, 2015, 12:38:55 PM
"
Ishkabibble wrote:
Sovyn:

I wanted to return and let you know I took my Templar out of storage and put him back to work.

I set him up with Static Strike (only gem 20% quality) and started switching gear in/out until I have something that has a fairly solid foundation.

I am curious regarding the 56k damage you show in the initial post using static strike, you listed various buffs & such that were up to when you registered those numbers. My curiosity stems from the tool tip dps on my guy in the hideout.

Ishkabibble my friend, don't wait to equip the Doryani's it will be better than pretty much anything else. Check the difference with auras up. Don't forget to quality it to 20%!

The number I posted is peak damage in battle so you would need Atziri's Promise flask (cheap if you don't have one yet) and Blood Rage Frenzy Charges. The crit build adds power charges which help as well.

If you want more DPS you can always take a look at my current skill tree (level 95) and pick and choose what you want a la carte. If you want more DPS, get all those nodes and take off some defenses. The build will still work.

The rare amulet you have (Mind Braid) is very good for crit. If you are not in a heavy spell damage area, by all means use that. Consider swapping as needed.

I would choose a good rare rustic sash over the Meginord's Girdle but that is OK too just not the ultimate.

You can really get some nice damage numbers (one guy said 90K or so with my build) with the abyssus but quite a sacrifice in defense, doable in easy areas (i.e. anything but major endgame bosses). Consider swapping as needed.
How well does this build hold up to the popular melee build? I'm kinda bored of my poison arrow build and have about 7ex to spend on a new build. I like the idea of a 1h and shield and was just wondering how well it stands with other super popular builds.
I'm really interested in giving this build a go when I multi play with my wife in the near future. I'll be tanking, while she does DPS witch.

This seems a great build to tank with but my question is that as I play self found I don't have much in the form of great gear, so will this build still hold out for survivability with poor gear and no endurance charge investment? Or will I be best putting a few points in to endurance charges?

Thanks for any feedback!
"
domelious wrote:
How well does this build hold up to the popular melee build? I'm kinda bored of my poison arrow build and have about 7ex to spend on a new build. I like the idea of a 1h and shield and was just wondering how well it stands with other super popular builds.

I have no idea what build(s) you may be comparing mine with but I can tell you that this is a good tank melee build that I've had a lot of success with and so have hundreds of other people over the course of the last 2 and a half years. You can gear this well for endgame with only 7 ex if you are smart and careful shopping.
"
ConansMight wrote:
I'm really interested in giving this build a go when I multi play with my wife in the near future. I'll be tanking, while she does DPS witch.

This seems a great build to tank with but my question is that as I play self found I don't have much in the form of great gear, so will this build still hold out for survivability with poor gear and no endurance charge investment? Or will I be best putting a few points in to endurance charges?

Thanks for any feedback!

I don't think points into endurance charges would make much if any difference here. You can be quite survivable with self-found gear as long as you don't want to do the hardest bosses in the game but as with any build playing self-found it will be weaker than it could be.
Cool, thanks for the feedback Sovyn!
This is just the type of build I was looking for, thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info