[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

After taking a break for a couple months, I've been playing again. I'm about halfway to 89 right now. I spent a modest amount of currency on a couple of upgrades, plus an Atziri's Promise, which is pretty handy. With just auras I've got about 17.5k dps. It seems to peak around 30k. About 4900+ life. My block won't be maxed until I hit 90 though. The thing that's making me more interested in playing is that my gems will start dinging 20 soon, so I can formula them back to level 1 and 20% quality and start re-leveling. So that should bring a good sense of progress. The thing that makes me struggle to stay interested is the length of time there now is between rewards. My guy feels quite strong right now though.
Last edited by Kamina100 on Sep 26, 2015, 1:42:03 AM
"
Kamina100 wrote:
The thing that's making me more interested in playing is that my gems will start dinging 20 soon, so I can formula them back to level 1 and 20% quality and start re-leveling. So that should bring a good sense of progress. The thing that makes me struggle to stay interested is the length of time there now is between rewards. My guy feels quite strong right now though.

Welcome back! yes, quality gems are fun to finally get. I hear you about the slow leveling / gear upgrades. That happens in many online games toward the endgame. At least you don't have to raid with a guild in PoE. THAT's slow. :)
Great build, Sovyn! My enjoyment of the game has improved a lot since I started using it. Thanks for sharing.

Just wondering, how important to this build is the Amplify node? It seems like the two points could be better used elsewhere, but I don't know the math behind it all.

Also, just a suggestion: instead of allocating "40% increased defences..." beside the Defiance node (near the bottom of the tree), get the "50% increased defences..." beside the Precise Interception (on the far right of the tree). A little more bang for the buck :)

Thanks again for sharing this build and for all the work you put into this!
"
Shobner wrote:
Great build, Sovyn! My enjoyment of the game has improved a lot since I started using it. Thanks for sharing.

Just wondering, how important to this build is the Amplify node? It seems like the two points could be better used elsewhere, but I don't know the math behind it all.

Also, just a suggestion: instead of allocating "40% increased defences..." beside the Defiance node (near the bottom of the tree), get the "50% increased defences..." beside the Precise Interception (on the far right of the tree). A little more bang for the buck :)

Thanks again for sharing this build and for all the work you put into this!

Glad you are enjoying, Shobner!

Amplify is good as it causes your attack to hit more monsters at once resulting in better clear times. It also provides a fairly decent damage boost for only 2 points, approximately 3K calculated DPS for me. I'd say it's optional but may be hard to beat for 2 points.

I don't take the 40% defenses node near Defiance. I know it can be hard to tell sometimes on the online skill tree which nodes are actually selected. The highlighting is subtle.
Sovyn - I've been away from your build for almost 2 years now.

With Warbands ending and the one month thingie coming up, I have been thinking of taking my lvl 82 templar in standard and run him through a crash course in becoming a lazy pally again. I played a lazy pally almost two years ago and truly enjoyed the experience. I kinda hit a brick wall around level 82 back then and have had my guy sitting in my stash ever since. I believe my biggest obstacle was the lack of sufficient damage.

At the time I was using this siege axe 333 dps.

What I am wanting to try might be a bit of a twist and may not work!

I had this Elemental pointy thing drop for me the other day in Warbands; and with some of the new gems available, I figured why not take a shot. (100 phys - 149 fire - 130 cold - 144 light)

I was thinking maybe something like this for gems: (leveled & w/quality of course)

This sword has 447 dps, an increase of 114 dps, but it is a huge mix of elemental damage - with that in mind I spent some time in your passive tree and re-vamped away from the physical damage nodes, then began selecting elemental damage all the while keeping the block focus. So --> I'm wondering if you think this adjusting might work. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts. I would prefer to avoid wasting a respec on something that will not work, thus my questions.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUA-d1KmIuMzGbAZpRcBLPwH6IAaPLhc5o7n9_vfIKbGmzkIilP7DjjahZvJKo26Xy7Otg9D_MG-6oGOVFgr6fE9nKp9zL-VA3NK1AczoPMPC3GroNftz7Yvf4KNZK18krIbqq-vILkkBGKrx7fT1azP6luwBp4DV8_wQR5aO8OFCBQR4TZAdx3476nZU29Nkd-FSAtgxm04izRNgkzwYIvzHvDeTl-4ho-6dVNRmLshO_awQUtdO1670CgRrfTbyzphrNvO1OlHKcMX_ZIxFhmVIV7fNnAv6yvDPeplTJOG5fyL331

I grabbed 6 Jewel nodes in hopes of putting together more shield block & life. I would appreciate any input offered.

My stash gear is pretty solid, the only thing I still don't have is a 6 socketed chest piece (I do have a tabula rasa though). I'm seriously interested in getting some help as well as suggestions on what I might need to adjust in the build if you think going elemental has its merits.

Here is a sample of items I have to choose from for the build:

If elemental will work, I assume the level 87 switch away from RT would still apply, just not sure which nodes to chase at that time due to using a sword.

Warbands was kind to me this go around - this dropped and 67 jewlers and 27 fusings later - bingo: (May even put this as a possible switch out weapon - probably not though)

For me it has been a good season and if/when I sell this item (30+ ex) - I can hopefully land me a solid 6 socket chest piece. I have around 15 ex so currency is really not at issue and I realize I could just purchase a high phys damage 1 hand weapon and just move on, but I really would like to find an elemental build that will work and yours came to mind.

Thanks in advance for your help --- again - Ishkabibble
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

USMC - Vietnam 1967 - 1968 - 1969
Last edited by Ishkabibble on Sep 28, 2015, 12:28:35 PM
Small question here: getting to the jewel slot at the bottom of the tree, above the Tetsudo/Retaliation circle requires taking a basic 10-stat node. There's a choice between taking 10 strength and 10 dex. I see in your recommended tree you take the Dex node. Right now it doesn't look as if anything I'm using has a dex requirement that I don't already meet - I have 174 Dex and it doesn't seem as if any of my gems require getting that high. So is Strength better point for point, if my minimums are met? Or should I still take Dex?
By the way, I did Shock and Horror with no problem now.

The one that I'm still scared to do is the map version of Vaal Oversoul, because I can't seem to visually the tell the difference between which arm he's raising. I think I'll just get killed by the big melee even if I avoid the lasers. The one time I thought about trying it I was lingering near the entrance to the room and suddenly I got killed by the lasers before even engaging. My gear is better now though - especially my spell block is better now, and I imagine the lasers can be blocked. My health is almost 5k too, so maybe I'd have a better chance.

I have yet to do any map higher than 76 (I have yet to even loot a map higher than 76 actually). I got to 89 mostly on 74's, and I have about ten 75's plus a 76 to go for 90 with. I'm hoping the 75's result in some 76's, and so on.
Last edited by Kamina100 on Sep 28, 2015, 10:04:01 AM
"
Ishkabibble wrote:
What I am wanting to try might be a bit of a twist and may not work!

I had this Elemental pointy thing drop for me the other day in Warbands; and with some of the new gems available, I figured why not take a shot. (100 phys - 149 fire - 130 cold - 144 light)

Hello Ishkabibble!

Unfortunately elemental damage weapons don't do much damage despite the numbers. One need look no further than the disappointing and common Hyaon's Fury unique sword (500 dps mostly elemental). Elemental damage nodes don't really fix the problem. You could try a cast on crit variation if you are determined to go elemental which may show a little more promise, but you won't be very tanky if you take the damage parts of my level 95 build earlier. Always a trade-off. Molten Strike - Cast on Crit - Magma Orb - Flame Surge - Increased Crits looked fun. Obviously the clear speed is not as good as the default setup but it's fun. You would want a doryani's or maybe a nice dagger with high crit chance and spell damage. The dorayni's is the cheaper/easier choice as always.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
Small question here: getting to the jewel slot at the bottom of the tree, above the Tetsudo/Retaliation circle requires taking a basic 10-stat node. There's a choice between taking 10 strength and 10 dex. I see in your recommended tree you take the Dex node. Right now it doesn't look as if anything I'm using has a dex requirement that I don't already meet - I have 174 Dex and it doesn't seem as if any of my gems require getting that high. So is Strength better point for point, if my minimums are met? Or should I still take Dex?

My thought when taking the dex was that the accuracy would be nice for a little bit of damage on the crit build. In practice it probably is fine either way here.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
The one that I'm still scared to do is the map version of Vaal Oversoul, because I can't seem to visually the tell the difference between which arm he's raising.

The level 74 legacy map version of Vaal was easy for me, but the map was changed to level 81 in 2.0 and now he's much harder for sure. Did the 81 map with some guys and saw them all RIP without even denting the boss and these were some pretty tuff guys. Of course that was early in 2.0 I'm sure people have it down by now.
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 29, 2015, 7:01:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info