[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
qualopeqh wrote:

Another question would be, how it works against bosses.
Atm i only use heavy strike-multistrike-faster attacks-melee phys. damage in boss fights.

Currently uncertain. Conventional wisdom says to not use AOE skills on bosses, but reave/ground slam/cleave seems to work OK. And, odds are that the AOE skill will be the one benefiting from the best linked item one has (like a 5-link chest, for example). That's why I wrote that the single target skill is "optional" in the guide.

I know, that you normally should not use an aoe skill for single targets.
But since i got only one multistrike, i would have to port in town and switch the gem to heavy strike.
This is a point, i really don't like. (the same with mf-gear. slaying the boss down close to death, and then switch to mf-gear. Never did it, never will do it).
For that reason, it would be nice to know, how reave works against single target.

Cyclone is really good and fun to play too. But i think, it only works perfect, with a soul taker.
I saw that on a live stream, when the char cycloned through the mobs and never stopped.
Really nice to watch and sure very fun to play.
With a BoR and added life leech/conz. effect and added fire damage, we should be close to immortal...

people make mistakes, but to get real chaos, you need a computer.
"
qualopeqh wrote:

For that reason, it would be nice to know, how reave works against single target.

Cyclone is really good and fun to play too. But i think, it only works perfect, with a soul taker.
I saw that on a live stream, when the char cycloned through the mobs and never stopped.
Really nice to watch and sure very fun to play.
With a BoR and added life leech/conz. effect and added fire damage, we should be close to immortal...

I could just do a Tooltip-Test cause i am using an Axe atm.
But Tooltip-DPS of a Low-Lvl Reave with Bloodmagic - Conc Effect - Multistrike - Reave were higher then a Level 19 Cyclone Combo with Bloodmagic - Conc Effect - Life Leech - Cyclone.

So dps-wise should Reave be possible to be equivalent for us "normal" Lazy-Pals.
If you have a Soul-Taker you should go Cyclone, cause you can go for Added Fire instead of Life Leech and dont have to worry about Stuns.
Around 4.2K hp with 10k DPS (with Hatred) using a BoR. Able to facetank Merciless Dominus (need to chug Topaz for the lightning dogs), not bad. Chaos resist still negative, but so it goes.

Using:

Definitely need a better weapon still, but nothing's dropping. Using doublestrike + multistrike + melee splash + BM right now. I also wear Aurseize/ Goldwyrm and cull with IIR + IIQ, so this character can MF pretty well too.
Last edited by curryflurry on Jan 13, 2014, 3:38:39 PM
"
ata wrote:
Hello lazy pallies! Sovyn, thanks for sharing your build. Took it into consideration while making mine, which is a mace/shield oriented, with a little more punch, but with less life and without Ondar's guile. Don't know whether this will be an issue later on.

Hi ata! Yes, it may be an issue in maps. One quick note, I realize your build is completely different than mine, but unless you are using an elemental skill like infernal blow or glacial hammer or lightning strike, I think it would be better to go through and get faith and steel instead of catalyse.
"
NutImNot wrote:
Hey Sovyn,

Im level 47, just finishing off Cruel, about to jump into Merciless difficulty for my first time. My question is how can I improve my DPS? Im fairly certain its my weapon as I've been using the same one for the past like 20 levels. What DPS should I be looking to be achieving before heading into merciless? Atm im at about 400. Killing things is painful atm, any advice?

Hello there, NutImNot!

Yes, the weapon is most likely the culprit. You should probably trade for a weapon around 200 DPS at that level. Probably cost you 1 chaos.

Also, a rustic sash (up to 24%) and a little physical damage on rings helps.

Finally, the biggest difference is your choice of attack and support gems. See the guide for a good easy combo.
"
qualopeqh wrote:

I know, that you normally should not use an aoe skill for single targets.
But since i got only one multistrike, i would have to port in town and switch the gem to heavy strike.
This is a point, i really don't like. (the same with mf-gear. slaying the boss down close to death, and then switch to mf-gear. Never did it, never will do it).

I have not timed it as that could be risky (taking my hands away from the keyboard/mouse while activating a stopwatch while near, say, Kole, would not be too smart), I believe Reave is a little bit slower than heavy strike if you have only one target. Reave will clear the whole area in a shorter time, obviously. Reave does kill the bosses, just not as fast as heavy strike. It's close enough though. I'd say stick with reave only in your case.
"
Mithrandelat wrote:

I could just do a Tooltip-Test cause i am using an Axe atm.
But Tooltip-DPS of a Low-Lvl Reave with Bloodmagic - Conc Effect - Multistrike - Reave were higher then a Level 19 Cyclone Combo with Bloodmagic - Conc Effect - Life Leech - Cyclone.

So dps-wise should Reave be possible to be equivalent for us "normal" Lazy-Pals.
If you have a Soul-Taker you should go Cyclone, cause you can go for Added Fire instead of Life Leech and dont have to worry about Stuns.

I tested cyclone for a third time today (with blood magic support) and as always found that, while the damage is impressive, especially with concentrated effect, life plunges very, very quickly, making it dangerous to use as the monsters desync and are not where they show on screen, so you are not leeching and can easily whirl yourself to death. On life with BM support, it uses 110 mana per whirl, or 177 with concentrated effect. 177 is especially dangerous at my attack speed. Compare to 5-link reave at only 35 mana. It's not really viable to use cyclone on mana with two auras running. Maybe a lightly supported cyclone with only one aura, but then, what's the point. In conclusion, cyclone is best used only with soul taker as already mentioned in the guide, unless one is very alert and does not mind a high risk playstyle and pounding insant life flasks constantly.

I'll have some clear times for cyclone later in my 'research project.' I'm using cyclone - melee phys - faster atk - bm
Close to heavy strike is enough i think. :-)
So i will level up reave and test it out.

people make mistakes, but to get real chaos, you need a computer.
"
curryflurry wrote:
Around 4.2K hp with 10k DPS (with Hatred) using a BoR. Able to facetank Merciless Dominus (need to chug Topaz for the lightning dogs), not bad. Chaos resist still negative, but so it goes.

Using:

Definitely need a better weapon still, but nothing's dropping. Using doublestrike + multistrike + melee splash + BM right now. I also wear Aurseize/ Goldwyrm and cull with IIR + IIQ, so this character can MF pretty well too.

Thanks for the update, curryflurry.

Your weapon is 250 DPS, not likely to find better as a drop. Easiest to save up a few ex worth of smaller orbs and trade for something a bit better.

If you want to try something with a little better DPS, replace double strike with reave, and melee splash with melee damage on full life or added fire damage. Don't forget quality too. :)
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
curryflurry wrote:

Using:

Thanks for the update, curryflurry.

Your weapon is 250 DPS, not likely to find better as a drop. Easiest to save up a few ex worth of smaller orbs and trade for something a bit better.

If you want to try something with a little better DPS, replace double strike with reave, and melee splash with melee damage on full life or added fire damage. Don't forget quality too. :)

Yup, I'd really like to find an axe or sword, the dex requirement on the rapier made me shuffle around my jewelry quite a bit. I doubt I'll invest in buying a better weapon, as I'm interested in trying some other builds (there's a CI Facebreaker witch I'm looking at). I'll give reave a try, sounds interesting.

Forgot to add, character is also lvl 80. MF is around 60IIQ/100IIR.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info