[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

To all of the regulars in this thread -- here is an experimental build I've been working on this afternoon.

Link

Better than the one in the guide?

+363 to Strength (higher)
+214 to Dexterity (higher)
+93 to Intelligence (higher)

50% increased Melee Physical Damage
91% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
12% increased Physical Damage
(total = same)

274% increased maximum Life (lower)

+34% to all Elemental Resistances (higher)
+20% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield (same)

34% additional Chance to Block with Shields
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
(so, 1% lower, may not matter)

4% of Life Regenerated per Second (lower)

52% increased Armour
56% increased Evasion Rating and Armour (higher)

33% increased Attack Speed
3% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
(total = higher)

(the below are all lost, gone, zip, nada)
2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched back as Life
+2% to maximum Elemental Resistances
+8% to Chaos Resistance
40% increased Block Recovery
16% increased Elemental Damage with Weapons

So, there are some costs for the gained stats, attack speed, armour/evasion and resists. A little less life, life leech, regen, overcap resists (albeit minor), block recovery, etc.
Last edited by Sovyn on Oct 23, 2013, 9:08:14 PM
Stuff on Cast when Damage Taken:

I linked Cast when Damage Taken + Enduring Cry + Molten Shell + Warlord's Mark (Enfeeble later)

There doesn't seem to be any spell cost, I have practically zero mana and no blood magic gem attached, and yet the spells are still firing away.

The more you level Cast when Damage Taken, the more damage the linked spells do, but the less often they are cast. So in my setup keeping it at level 1 is best. If you link damage spells then obviously level it.

It keeps up Endurance Charges very well, 1000 times better (yes, I scientifically determined that number) than BoR does. Pretty much means permanent Endurance Charges, which opens up a world of possibilities (i.e. Hatred instead of Grace).

If I had to guess, it doesn't consider damage when it is blocked. It only seems to trigger when my ES dips.

If a curse (or any targeted spell for that matter) is linked, the curse is cast centered on the mob who did the damage that tripped the Cast when Damage Taken gem to activate. This means sometimes curses will be centered on ranged mobs.

Level 1 = 70% less damage every 440 damage taken.
Level 2 = 66% less damage every 490 damage taken.
No idea what happens at level 20. If it follows the pattern then it will increase damage of the spell attached, but the trigger rate will be very slow.
so the level of the linked spell gems dont matter, when it comes to linking?

Hi Sovyn, I respeccd as per your updated one - (I put 3 or 4 points in places other than the one in updated version to check things out, can always respec later)

My overall health went from a bit under 2K to 3.5K+ so It is nice. I can still run determination+purity (just cant add haste or hatred to it like I could pre-patch).

DPS took a plummet from 4.5K-ish to 2.7K ish - gonna recheck the tree to see any misallocated points.

I am liking it so far. I so miss the "ignore movement penalties from armor" node we had earlier, now I have a bit over 15% penalty and so am crawling around haha.

unrelated, my FPS seems to have gone from playable (25ish) in docks pre-patch to unplayable single digits (7, 9) now - anyone else having issues with FPS? curious.

"
seiferoth10 wrote:

No idea what happens at level 20. If it follows the pattern then it will increase damage of the spell attached, but the trigger rate will be very slow.

Thanks for your observations! I did put my recommendations down in the guide earlier today and suggested level 1 for enduring cry/molten shell, and a higher level for immortal call.

By the way, check the experimental build at the top of this page and let me know what you think of it vs. the one in the guide.
"
MildlyClever wrote:

I am liking it so far. I so miss the "ignore movement penalties from armor" node we had earlier, now I have a bit over 15% penalty and so am crawling around haha.

We still have the benefit of the ignore movement penalties from armour node my friend. :) It's in the official build still.

By the way, check the experimental build at the top of this page and let me know what you think of it vs. the one in the guide.
First off, thanks Sovyn for building such a great guide. I was firmly stuck in cruel trying to make a 2H sweep build that didn't instantly combust when I came in to contact with mobs, the respect to your build has allowed me to punch through to merciless quite rapidly after quite some time being blocked. I'm also a huge D2 pally fan which this build seems to be a spiritual heir to, and find the old mechanics for things like maintaining endurance charges /wrists...

Been looking over the new trigger stuff and the on hit trigger gems are a god(or flying spaghetti monster) send for survivability. Given just how many hits you take, I reckon you'd be hard pressed not to have them up very shortly after pulling a pack, even boss fights should approach 100% uptime once you start combat.

Very excited to get home from work and give it a test toast tonight. =)

One question, are the trigger gems drops or quest rewards?
I considered that giant ring of health near the Scion, but I don't think I had enough points to get what I wanted to get and/or connect the tree properly (I don't remember exactly), though that's because I need a bunch of the ES/Armor nodes in Templar for my specific build.

If I had to choose between two builds you posted, I'd choose the giant ring of health one. The one caveat is that the crucial node of 2% life leech is gone, so that needs to be made up in your gear.

"
Saviourself wrote:
One question, are the trigger gems drops or quest rewards?

A new quest in the Library (Act 3) rewards (I'm doing this off memory, but it should be close): Merciless
Cast when Damage Taken
Chain
Multistrike
GMP
Cast on Crit
A couple more I can't remember, but they weren't the new trigger gems

Past that quest, no idea. Time to try the quest on Cruel and see if I get the same rewards.

Edit: On Cruel, the rewards were:
Knockback
Cast on Melee Kill
Elemental Proliferation
Added Chaos
Elemental Weakness
Cast on Death

Considering these are 2 new trigger gems compared to Merciless, I suspect Normal has two different ones as well. I went with Cast on Melee Kill, Cast on Death seems... rather useless to me.

Edit 2: Normal was:
Cast when Stunned
Punishment
Devouring Totem
Curse on Hit
Temp Chains
Elemental Hit

Went with Curse on Hit.
Last edited by seiferoth10 on Oct 23, 2013, 10:37:09 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
MildlyClever wrote:

We still have the benefit of the ignore movement penalties from armour node my friend. :) It's in the official build still.

Thanks! will do - I knew I missed some stuff when I went off the reservation allocation a handful of passives elsewhere! I should know better ha! :D

This is my current one (hope the link works - never done it before). At work, so will play with the experimental build once back home! (always wondered if the recovery nodes - stun/block - were worth the points)

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecEswUtFCAWbxjbGS4aMho4GlUa2x0UIWAjTSUnJ-0oxSkuMok26DbpPeJANkCgRHJI7kp9TDVPfVBHUFBRYFXGVvpXDVfiWGNZ81uvXUlfP2BLYSFko2aeZ5tnoHB9cql0QXTtdPF313rvfNl_K4BWhMSE74d2jM-PRpBVm4OeuZ7NoLSnMKeEqZWsqrT5t9O53cAaxtjPZdDQ0iHUj9aK18vZYd0N42rsOO4O7w7wH_Iv877z3fZI97760vuq_MU=

Hey Sovyn, could you update your current gear so far if you have time?
Winning Is Right, Losing is Wrong, Evolve or Die!
any chance on upgraded progression builds?

Thank you very much.

Making all kinds of gains.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info