[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
antarek wrote:
Hi all,

First thanks for this guide that ll help me a lot ^^

I have a question concerning your "20 point progression build (approximately level 18)".

As you can see on the picture below, there are skills that are selected without the previous one needed to get access to the next skill being selected.

How to do such a thing because i can't and i need to select both skills that aren't selected on the picture above to get access to the other ones that are connected ?

Thanks in advance for helping on this subject :)

That would be because the link you're following (20 point progression build (approximately level 18)) is a link to a pre-1.0.0 build, and so when the skill tree page tries to load the unique URL identifier for the build it doesn't match up with the current 1.0.0 skill tree.

So, don't rely on the X point skill progression build links until Sovyn updates them. In the meantime you can check out the full 120 point build link, which has been updated for the release of 1.0.0.
Hello Sovyn,

Thanks for the quick update! I've been running your Templar a while and it is a blast.

What do you think of going through the centre path instead? Something like:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAhMREckA2I020-fAfBLMyiVfiogAUTYM473zsOBo4p4SQVcAaZp760nB9gFZPfVFgGjKplTbp42okqhmFWfOsqnKpfNkn7cT2PC3Grrc-_grnY4jx8kU64aZXTeP-jzWSMZ618m6qSsg_JypNFSAs6d0N_MVnoId2Sn1W-nRBd9d_K9aK7g4a29fLt9M94kjuG63K0xm0apPV7cAP0k2-p25phNlY21Pfm4Osrx0UTDUoxfO-GS7Uj7nd8i_vDudSVElfP_ZIjM9QUFhjxtgl3xv6pBllTUd-q8W9gZkriq-QEYLkAnGPRtDQz2VVxvPd

My rough calcs produce the following differences (I really need to find a build summarizer):
+12% life
+20 life
+16% resist all
+7% armour
+32% evasion
+20% one-handed damage

-1.5% life/sec
-2% life leech
-7% block (I have BoR, so require 28% on my shield). W/out would need 2 blk nodes below testudo
and 38% shield to get 74% blk)
-20% shield def

The main challenge would be to see how the life goes; I am dropping 2% leech and 1.5%/sec. Likewise, a non-BoR character would need the perandus shield or a 38% shield. However resists would be easier to cap, and the increased armour, evasion, and life *might* make up for it. The damage would be a bonus.

What are your thoughts? Did I miscalc anything in there?

IGN: Gilraene, GraeonDarkshade
OL times: 12:15-12:45 MST (8:15-8:45 UTC), 18:00-22:00 MST (01:00-05:00 UTC)
Facepalm! Thanks Seiferoth, I didn't realize curses will work with whendmgtaken. I'm running moltenshell/enfeeble/rejuvtotem on it... the three skills ive leveled, but never used. A strong combo, and I don't mind enduring cry if I'm worried about the charges.

Also, the 4 point mana/aura cluster was good advice for my build and I never would've noticed it. I was debating what to do w/ my 4 points, more life/armor/dmg, and these 4 points buy me flexibility to run whichever situation or mood strikes.

"
Saviourself wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
Hail, Saviourself! Yes, I absolutely had the D2 pally in mind. The D2 pally was my first D2 character, way back when D2 first launched. He used a scepter and shield, with the skill "charge". Lot of fun. Not as much fun as PoE anymore, but good memories. Using heavy strike with it's knockback component, it feels pretty tame compared with charge! Maybe that's why the knockback does not bother me.

I see your question has been very well answered already, so I'll just say welcome, and leave it at that. Keep us posted as you progress. :)

Yeah, I was more of a zeal pally (which could be problematic once you invested a few too many points in it), so multistrike has me itching to try it, but proc gems first!

The shield charge ability works somewhat similarly to the D2 charge and does some pretty significant damage for little cost + it's great for charging out of a bind when she goes wonky...

Agreed on the usefulness of shield charge, but seems to not be required, just another item in the toolbox. :)

Luckily, the multistrike gem will be much easier to obtain now that it is available as a quest reward.
"
zxwc wrote:
Hello sovyn,I've just found a sword.

I think it suits the build,right?

It's 221 DPS which is not bad -- you will want better (250+) when you get into maps very far however. Great for Merciless storyline (at least up to Lunaris, don't know yet how much harder it gets after that).
"
Anaxibois wrote:
Hello Sovyn,

Thanks for the quick update! I've been running your Templar a while and it is a blast.

What do you think of going through the centre path instead? Something like:

My rough calcs produce the following differences (I really need to find a build summarizer):
+12% life
+20 life
+16% resist all
+7% armour
+32% evasion
+20% one-handed damage

-1.5% life/sec
-2% life leech
-7% block (I have BoR, so require 28% on my shield). W/out would need 2 blk nodes below testudo
and 38% shield to get 74% blk)
-20% shield def

The main challenge would be to see how the life goes; I am dropping 2% leech and 1.5%/sec. Likewise, a non-BoR character would need the perandus shield or a 38% shield. However resists would be easier to cap, and the increased armour, evasion, and life *might* make up for it. The damage would be a bonus.

What are your thoughts? Did I miscalc anything in there?

Hi Anaxibois! As you can see at the top of page 129 (couple of pages ago), I asked for feedback on a similar build to yours vs. the one in the guide. I've been working hard on alternatives and experiments since release, and will update soon if I decide this type of arrangement is better. :) Thanks for posting!
Hello, I played a LS Templar before and am looking to respec into another type of Templar. WIth the free respec that I have (level 92) does this build play anything like the old LS? Thanks.
"
Sovyn wrote:

Hi Anaxibois! As you can see at the top of page 129 (couple of pages ago), I asked for feedback on a similar build to yours vs. the one in the guide. I've been working hard on alternatives and experiments since release, and will update soon if I decide this type of arrangement is better. :) Thanks for posting!

Okay, I have another possible build following the footsteps of the giant ring of life build you posted: Click Here.

I skipped the Marauder area and the Ranger area. I wanted to skip Ondar's Guile but some people like it, so I just kept it.

Comparison:
The build I just posted has:

30 less dex
10 less int
90 less strength
18 less max life
30% more % life
0.5% less life regen
6% less all resist
2% less block
same % armor
8% more armor/evasion
3% more attack speed
36% more physical damage
80% less defenses from shield

Now that I look at it, I gave up very small amounts of life, regen, resist, and block for very small gains in armor, attack speed, and a large gain in physical damage.

The one main disadvantage to ring of life builds: I really like the life leech node. I feel it is extremely valuable. If you don't have it then you are forced to find specialized rings to replace it.
"
Sovyn wrote:
To all of the regulars in this thread -- here is an experimental build I've been working on this afternoon.

Link

Better than the one in the guide?

+363 to Strength (higher)
+214 to Dexterity (higher)
+93 to Intelligence (higher)

50% increased Melee Physical Damage
91% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
12% increased Physical Damage
(total = same)

274% increased maximum Life (lower)

+34% to all Elemental Resistances (higher)
+20% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield (same)

34% additional Chance to Block with Shields
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
(so, 1% lower, may not matter)

4% of Life Regenerated per Second (lower)

52% increased Armour
56% increased Evasion Rating and Armour (higher)

33% increased Attack Speed
3% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
(total = higher)

(the below are all lost, gone, zip, nada)
2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched back as Life
+2% to maximum Elemental Resistances
+8% to Chaos Resistance
40% increased Block Recovery
16% increased Elemental Damage with Weapons

So, there are some costs for the gained stats, attack speed, armour/evasion and resists. A little less life, life leech, regen, overcap resists (albeit minor), block recovery, etc.

I still would go for some what standard build
something like this maybe
and this is for me as i have BoR

I dont want to lose 2%leech to big of a deal for me =)

PS new gem use on taking dmg is godly - linked enfeeble, molten shell and enduring cry. Maybe a decoy totem is good?
PSS sorry for my bad english.
ign Bester, Godlymen, boomwiz, in game from 10pm till 1am most of the time (GMT).
Last edited by Borislav on Oct 24, 2013, 7:49:02 PM
Well, I've spent another day pouring over this.

For better of worse, here's the best compromise I could come up with: LINK to build

I have not looked at the builds you fellows posted, but will do so right away and see if there is anything in there that I missed.

Take a look!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info