How have Zana/cart boxes changed map pool sustainability?

It is significantly easier to sustain a map pool now - almost trivial. With so many different sources of maps, you have to be pretty unlucky to end up with nothing.

Since this time last year, GGG have:

- increased the chance that a map drop will be from a higher tier
- removing size mods from maps, and having a default large size for maps
- carto boxes (+5 ascendance - lolz!)
- vaal orbs
- zana daily
- zana spawning in maps
- other master spawn areas

This time last year, I was struggling to sustain a 69 map pool. I had to run over 1000 maps going from level 66 to get my first 78.

With each introduction of the above, my sustain level has steadily risen. My map pool grows faster with each league reset. It is trivial for me to sustain a 74 map pool with "alch and run, maybe with 1 or 2 chaos" with 74+ maps. Chisels are no longer necessary - although 77+ imo is still worth it.

Furthermore, the following are (imo) indicative signs that maps are easier to sustain

- chaos orbs falling in price
- chisels have fallen in price
- map groups lowering the prices of runs
- higher level maps dropping in price
@CutlassPair: Good post.

@Tartos: Yeah, Vaal Orbs are pretty awesome, although I've spawned some 8 affix maps I couldn't run. The best is when it unidentifies an identified map and adds +30% but you know what the affixes are.
I traded a good amount of 73 maps and started from there. Worked my way up to about 10 78 maps and fell down to 75 + cremas (I hate Cremas) again although I rolled every 78 with pack size/magics/rares + >100 iiq.

Way too much RNG and too low risk-reward involved still, imo.
Sustaining a 73+ map pool for me is trivial. I had to sell 72 maps for the +1 recipe due to lack of space (No stash tabs bought).

Also, you guys are forgetting something. Atziri. Yeah, that little shit, it gives maps, AND A LOT of them. I've gotten as much as 14 maps from a single Atziri run. Given they were in the 69-72 range, but that's a lot of maps from a single run.

Cartoboxes are rare, indeed, but when you DO find one, oh boy... Found a Cartobox in a 75 map, got out 15 maps out of that run (box + random drops). I can't remember what level they were, but 15 maps? That's bonkers!

With boxes, I always scour-alt for +lvl/mirrored/+items (in solo, for group it's +%quantity), then Regal and Vaal that shit. You'll be amazed how fast your map pool improves just with this.
"
Flama wrote:

With boxes, I always scour-alt for +lvl/mirrored/+items (in solo, for group it's +%quantity), then Regal and Vaal that shit. You'll be amazed how fast your map pool improves just with this.

Isn it worth using a vaal orb on it after that? You risk getting the box rerolled with new mods you cannot alter again?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info