Two-Handed Weapons Viable?

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Chundadragon wrote:
I'll save you some time testing and I'll tell you yes it is viable obviously but no-one in their right mind would use it when you can just link Melee Splash to it and save yourself a headache.

And this was where a couple of posters and I (a few page back) tried to come up with a keystone that would only benefit 2H melee single target skill offensively (I think they do not need much offense to begin with, since they are fine in this department) and defensively (for the most part needs a lot of help).

Honestly, I'm just confused. Single-target builds literally do not exist in PoE so why should they for melee?
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Sep 13, 2014, 4:29:25 PM
"
Chundadragon wrote:

Honestly, I'm just confused. Single-target builds literally do not exist in PoE so why should they for melee?

They do exist with bow/caster/dual-wielding, but not as much as the typical ones that have AoE/more projectile modifiers. As for 2h melee............:cricket sound:

Edit: I know I keep leaving out 1h+shield, but the only build I made out of that was with ES RF. So my experience there is low.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Sep 13, 2014, 4:38:47 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:
If you can afford good 1h there is not a single reason to look at 2h

You may be surprised to hear that MullaXul owns me with a non-mirrored 2hander. They are NOT weak by any means.
IGN - Xukai

Mirror Service - /1046531
Last edited by trav_dawg on Sep 13, 2014, 4:38:53 PM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
They do exist with bow/caster/dual-wielding

Name one.
Anyone can make a viable single target build, doesn't mean it's any good or smart. Unless you're counting those single target wanders/arrow builds that launch one projectile to burn entire groups.

Many builds will make use of a separate single target skill to use for bosses/exiles which is how it should be. Not even sure why it's relevant to melee or more specifically two hand builds.
Last edited by kasub on Sep 13, 2014, 5:24:48 PM
"
Chundadragon wrote:
Name one.

Evasion EB Dual Claw Reaver - Uses Reave because the skill is awesome, but dual strike as more crit, so I tend to deal more damage with, and kill things almost as fast as with Reave.

Frenzy Puncturing Evasion Dual Dagger - Frenzy for the most part is my AoE melee skill, but can be used as buff along with vulnerability for my single-target Puncture skill. I do enough damage to kill things quickly, and if they still alive, bleed damage will finish them off.

CI Crit Ice Witch - I tend to for the most part use Ice Spear with LMP to cover more range, but I can go without to one-shot shatter mobs, and permafreeze the boss for the most part, and at single target, it will deal a lot more damage, so that helps with crit. On top of that, I use Cold Penetration and Ele Weakness to make Ice Spear even more interesting.

Frenzybreaker - For the most part, this build can sustain itself by just using single target since switching melee splash with added fire damage with just increase my DPS by a long shot, but I use melee splash for the clear speed. This is the only build I have that can go the distance with single target.

I have tried Crit Lightning Arrow bow build with fork (since LA chains by default) along with other damage modifiers (no lmp/gmp), and my mana is crying for help. I might focus more on it once I get my hands on Voltaxic Rift (I still QQ today since I sold one around this time last year).

For the most part, I have not made pure a single-target build just because how much the game change, and mostly I had to adapt to those changes, but some builds I have still can perform single-targeting to a very good extent in packs or bosses.

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Sep 13, 2014, 5:32:56 PM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Chundadragon wrote:
Name one.

Evasion EB Dual Claw Reaver - Uses Reave because the skill is awesome, but dual strike as more crit, so I tend to deal more damage with, and kill things almost as fast as with Reave.

Frenzy Puncturing Evasion Dual Dagger - Frenzy for the most part is my AoE melee skill, but can be used as buff along with vulnerability for my single-target Puncture skill. I do enough damage to kill things quickly, and if they still alive, bleed damage will finish them off.

CI Crit Ice Witch - I tend to for the most part use Ice Spear with LMP to cover more range, but I can go without to one-shot shatter mobs, and permafreeze the boss for the most part, and at single target, it will deal a lot more damage, so that helps with crit. On top of that, I use Cold Penetration and Ele Weakness to make Ice Spear even more interesting.

Frenzybreaker - For the most part, this build can sustain itself by just using single target since switching melee splash with added fire damage with just increase my DPS by a long shot, but I use melee splash for the clear speed. This is the only build I have that can go the distance with single target.

I have tried Crit Lightning Arrow bow build with fork (since LA chains by default) along with other damage modifiers (no lmp/gmp), and my mana is crying for help. I might focus more on it once I get my hands on Voltaxic Rift (I still QQ today since I sold one around this time last year).

For the most part, I have not made pure a single-target build just because how much the game change, and mostly I had to adapt to those changes, but some builds I have still can perform single-targeting to a very good extent in packs or bosses.

None of those builds are pure single-target builds. They don't exist in PoE. Your Frenzybreaker is just worse by not using melee splash.
Last edited by Chundadragon on Sep 13, 2014, 5:38:11 PM
"
Chundadragon wrote:

None of those builds are pure single-target builds. They don't exist in PoE. Your Frenzybreaker is just worse by not using melee splash.

Man, you make it sound you been keeping tab of every single player in the game. :P

My Frenzybreaker is worse without melee splash in terms of clear speed.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Chundadragon wrote:

Man, you make it sound you been keeping tab of every single player in the game. :P

My Frenzybreaker is worse without melee splash in terms of clear speed.

Obviously it's in terms of clear speed, if you have to hit everything separately compared to hitting everything at once, it's gunna be slower.

I haven't been keeping track of every player in the game but what I do know is builds and no build exists which focuses on doing a large amount of damage to each target successively and is effective.
"
Chundadragon wrote:

Obviously it's in terms of clear speed, if you have to hit everything separately compared to hitting everything at once, it's gunna be slower.

I haven't been keeping track of every player in the game but what I do know is builds and no build exists which focuses on doing a large amount of damage to each target successively and is effective.

For the most part, I am not looking at clear speed only. If you have multiple layers of defense, you can get away with using single-target for the most part. Again, it is not about the build being optimal, it is whether or not if it is viable.

The builds I mentioned is very viable with single-target, but not optimal. I am just wondering if 2H melee singe target skill can be just as viable like those builds since 2H melee builds lack a lot of defense. Armor, 75 all res, life regen, and some life leech alone cannot jump the hurdle. Those builds can do the same thing, but has even more layers of defense on top.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Sep 13, 2014, 6:10:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info