Two-Handed Weapons Viable?

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
The builds I mentioned is very viable with single-target, but not optimal. I am just wondering if 2H melee singe target skill can be just as viable like those builds since 2H melee builds lack a lot of defense. Armor, 75 all res, life regen, and some life leech alone cannot jump the hurdle. Those builds can do the same thing, but has even more layers of defense on top.

Well, gl but imho if you are purposefully self-nerfing yourself by not using Melee Splash the exercise is kinda pointless.

I always play the strongest spec I can and that includes clearing fast.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
"
Chundadragon wrote:
I always play the strongest spec I can and that includes clearing fast.

There is nothing wrong with that, because I do the same thing as well. :P
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Here are my thoughts about making 2H more viable.

There are two interesting things in passive tree:
1) There can be nodes after Kaystones (check Chaos Inoculation and Acrobatics)
2) There can be special debuffs from weapon hits (check Adder's Touch)

Also, Critical Strikes are more or less viable in therms of DPS and crit-oriented 2Hander happens to have Block on it. So Staffs are a little more viable than non-crit ones.

I suggest to add the following three clusters after Resolute Technique:
One Handed/Unarmed Cluster
Spoiler
-- One Handed Melee Damage and Defence --
10% increased Melee Damage while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
10% increased Armor, Evasion and Energy Shield

||
||

-- One Handed Melee Damage and Defence --
10% increased Melee Damage while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
10% increased Armor, Evasion and Energy Shield
||
||

== Inexorable Strikes ==
Melee Damage penetrates 10% Armor and Resistances while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield

while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield because I wanted to cover Facebreakers, 1H+Shield and Dual Wield in this cluster.
Melee Damage because I wanted to cover Physical, Elemental and Chaos skills, but exclude stuff like Spectral Throw.
penetrates 10% of Armor means that damage calculation will take 90% of target's armor instead of 100%.

The logic is that one 1Handers are easier to control and aim than 2Handers or ranged weapons, so a skilled fighter should pass enemy's protection. Game already has crits, but the whole flavor of Resolute Tecnique keystone screams for something not chance-based and mechanics of RT does not allow you to crit

Two Handed Cluster
Spoiler
-- Two Handed Melee Damage and Range--
12% increased Melee Damage with Two Handed Melee Weapons
+1 Two Handed Melee Weapon Range

||
||

-- Two Handed Melee Damage and Range--
8% increased Melee Damage with Two Handed Melee Weapons

||
||

== Determined Assault ==
24% more Melee Damage with Two Handed Melee Weapons
5% increased Movement Speed
Melee Hits with Two Handed Melee Weapons Wane the enemy

Wane the enemy applies a debuff "Waned": 10% less Damage, 20% reduced Critical Strike Multiplier

The logic behind this notable is that a little more range and mobility pushes the danger away from фnd, well, it is not easy to attack a person who skillfully swings with 2Hander (RT assumes quite some skill)

Projectile Cluster
Spoiler
-- Projectile Attack Damage --
10% increased Projectile Attack Damage

||
||

-- Projectile Attack Damage --
10% increased Projectile Attack Damage

||
||

== Calculated Shots ==
10% reduced Projectile Speed
Projectile Attacks deal up to 30% more damage to targets as the projectile travels further

Yes, the Far Shot. Most bow and wand users are crit-based nowdays, so not chance-based alternative can't hurt. Also sniping imho fits the RT flavor
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Sep 13, 2014, 8:23:53 PM
Any keysonte-base solution is artificial and FORCES usage of said keystone. This is bad and will never happen

It solves nothing

2h have too low base dmg.
2h have poor survivability
2h might have nice base dmg but horrible xrit
2h have no block
There is no point in 2h except for: 2nd 6link and style

Efficiency and safety come from crit and block. 2h have neither
Last edited by sidtherat on Sep 14, 2014, 12:47:52 AM
"
sidtherat wrote:
Any keysonte-base solution is artificial and FORCES usage of said keystone. This is bad and will never happen

Keystones are bad but notables are very good.

It's not like it forces it in anyway, especially if you consider daggers - if you don't take Nightstalker and Adder's Touch notables in my mind, your dagger build is pretty dogshit, that's just because they are attractive options that make no sense to pass up.

Similarly notable passives giving strong incentives are not forced but are too good to pass up.
Last edited by Chundadragon on Sep 14, 2014, 1:27:57 AM
"
Chundadragon wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

Keystones are bad but notables are very good.

It's not like it forces it in anyway, especially if you consider daggers - if you don't take Nightstalker and Adder's Touch notables in my mind, your dagger build is pretty dogshit, that's just because they are attractive options that make no sense to pass up.

Similarly notable passives giving strong incentives are not forced but are too good to pass up.

but there is a difference between solving a fundamental issue (2h) with a passive/keystone/notable and providing 'an attractive option' (daggers)

currently 2h are poo. there is literally nothing 1h+shield cannot do better - except stuns and style

'keystone solution' in effect turns this situation into '2h are still crap, unless you take this node'

this is the clumsy solution that does not address the reason why 2h are poo - disparity between survival and offense and negligible benefits the whole idea of 2h provides currently. mostly - NO BLOCK.
2H is viable in end game too, but...

1. No block
2. Lower DPS to compare to both 1H/shield or dual wield (cleave and dual strike win the game). I believe it's due to either the base damage or the explicit is low (why the maximum explicit value of 2H is same as 1H? This also makes staff bad for casters, except unique).
3. Low in base crit and attack speed
4. No "useful" implicit. Daggers get crit, sceptres get elemental damage. Accuracy is a good inflict but no so useful due to that low base crit (means most of the time you will take RT).
5. Poor in passive. If you look around the whole passive, you will find that no matter weapon passive, dual wield passive or even 1H passive are all better, in terms of value, amount and position, than 2H passive.

I have a 2H sword character in Ambush passive and I reach 30K dps for molten strike. I would say for the same amount of budget, I can reach 40 or even 50K dps and way better in survivability with 1H/shield or dual wield.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
"
sidtherat wrote:

I couldnt have concluded it better.

Buy Perandus for 1c. Buy dagger for 1-2ex. Play crit st. No 2h build can even remotely keep up with the clearspeed and survivability.
#31 of Rampage League after 7 days played.
You need to be genuinely in love with 2h concept and work really hard to make it viable.
2-handers will need to get another substantial damage buff in the near future.
IGN: NNQQ, Sporkay, Rands_
"
Insomniask wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

I couldnt have concluded it better.

Buy Perandus for 1c. Buy dagger for 1-2ex. Play crit st. No 2h build can even remotely keep up with the clearspeed and survivability.

Alternatively, buy 5l for 5 chaos and play flameblast and completely wreck the clear speed and survivability of phys crit ST.

The builds are different, don't compare melee to ranged. Hint: ranged is better, end of.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info