Two-Handed Weapons Viable?

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

btw - just how bad 2h are: that Oro's Sacrifice sword. it is terrible noob trap. sure there is a flicker/leap slam igniter prolif build for it. but it is mediocre at best and herald of ash made it pretty much redundant..

There is also Infernal Blow with its high base damage, but the main hurdle is ele reflect. Hence why I delayed building around Oro's Sacrifice. -_-

How do you scale it if most multipliers (mele phys, added fire, hatred (both with WED)) cannot be used? Flat ele from the tree? If so then Doryiani Catalyst is way better option (and it has phys component that is scaled by everything..). I saw many many attempts at making Oro usefull (have self found 5l myself..) and all ended being meh. To the point that replacing Oro with any other weapon made the build work better..
"
Astarte911 wrote:
Its okay!

Problem is mainly finding this one top end weapon (playing 2h in Beyond, lv86, still farming..)

Its pretty hard to find one in the new leagues.

That's true for pretty much any weapon class.

Playing with swords atm, the only semi-viable sword I've come across selffound:

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
Astarte911 wrote:
Its okay!

Problem is mainly finding this one top end weapon (playing 2h in Beyond, lv86, still farming..)

Its pretty hard to find one in the new leagues.

That's true for pretty much any weapon class.

Playing with swords atm, the only semi-viable sword I've come across selffound:

Luckily crafting finaly makes a decent alternative to a mindles grind. This weapon cannot be upgraded without exalts (currently no hybrid rolls possible) but id keep it. Maybe they add more.crafting mods..

Meh rolls but it is 250pdps 1h. And it is enough. Similar rolls on 2h and it is vendor time
Actually 2 handed builds are becoming more viable now due to an indirect buff. More and more people require double 6L now due to herald of ash and ice which work with some support gems. Even the build of the week today relies on a double 6L.
Buff? Did they buff their weakest point (survivability)? If not then there was no buff so to speak.

Todays build uses 5l pledge. Links for curse on hit are pure convenience as 5l is enough for coh setup
1 handed aren't the problem, there are plenty of weapons.

Try poe.xyz.is

if i type 300 DPS (generic one hand, physical) i find 30 weapons
if i type 550 DPS (generic two hand, physical) i find...exactly 0 weapons..
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

"
Deadpeng wrote:
Actually 2 handed builds are becoming more viable now due to an indirect buff. More and more people require double 6L now due to herald of ash and ice which work with some support gems. Even the build of the week today relies on a double 6L.

not really. out side of some very specific situations in which the 6l can become a 7l for certain skills

2 handers are explicitly inferior to one handers.

most of the builds that use 2 6ls are spell builds in which +2 - +3 on a staff is basically a free empower gem.

but 2 hand melee builds? not even remotely viable in end game on a budget. even my tissue paper summoner with 3k hp and no armor / evasion out lasts tanky 2 hand melee builds.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Sep 9, 2014, 8:12:57 AM
"
sidtherat wrote:

How do you scale it if most multipliers (mele phys, added fire, hatred (both with WED)) cannot be used? Flat ele from the tree? If so then Doryiani Catalyst is way better option (and it has phys component that is scaled by everything..). I saw many many attempts at making Oro usefull (have self found 5l myself..) and all ended being meh. To the point that replacing Oro with any other weapon made the build work better..

With the current gears I have, it will be Q20 Infernal Blow + WED + Multistrike + LL + Blood Magic

If I can one day get Kaom's Heart, it will be Q20 Infernal Blow + WED + Multistrike + Fire Penetration + Blood Magic

There are also other gems like Faster Attacks or Concentrated Effect, but that would require the sword to be 6L.

This build probably will not be as good as some of my 2H builds, but I know one of my 2H builds that will be inferior to this.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Doing 80k+ with my sweet mace 2h and only lvl 82 im expected to do normal atzi when hitting 85 or so.

So I think 2h are very viable yes. they are not in league with 1h especially daggers but its still very fun!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/913599 <--- mirror Thread
Last edited by PaladinSMD on Sep 9, 2014, 10:29:32 AM
i found a high dps 1h sword and started to think the same thing: "why not just use this? then i get to use a shield!"

my own answers were as follows:

1) i lose the ability to have up to 6 linked sockets in that weapon. this generally provides (for me/my build) more damage or utility (life leech/LoH).

2) based on my build, again, there are way less 1h nodes that i have access to. these nodes, also have lower buff values.

3) there is some kind of interestingly fine line between getting more defense vs. getting more offense. i think everyone realizes this at some point. if you can hit harder and leech more life, maybe that's better than more defense, and vice versa.

4) i'm not "rich" and i don't base my build around "expensive" items. sure, a lot of good builds are build around sword and board with a good blocking chance, but not everybody has the items required for that.

all that being said, i DO wish that 2h damage was buffed a bit to make it stand out more. or maybe the game's balance could change so there is less focus on blocking everything with a shield. who knows. another fly on the wall.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info