Master Reputation Gain Formula Is Effed

"
Sayyid wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
"
devvnull42 wrote:
The sad thing is we'll have to go through this every time a new league starts up.

While I do avg more time that most, think around 5 hours daily, elreon will ding 7 tonight. I don't think it's that bad.

inb4 freakout when you see the level 8 XP requirement.

I already know what it is. Considering I haven't been actually farming masters, at all, I think that's pretty good in a couple weeks.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
That still doesn't answer my question. I agree it should be more, but in reality, I don't think it should be more than 250 MAX.

I'd love to get 250 for doing them. Since I came back to PoE for FM I've primarily played a single character, up to level 72 at this point. Along the way I've gotten all masters except Zana to level 4 or 5. Then I started a new character and as soon as I left Lioneye's Watch to make my way to Tidal I ran across Haku (master level 4 at the time). I did his mission, checking the reputation before going in. Upon completion I checked the reputation again and it was exactly the same as before the quest.

Now, I'm not saying I should get a few thousand rep for doing a mission for a level 4 master at character level 2, but getting precisely zero reputation is a bit off putting. Perhaps it was a bug, I don't know. I just know that I spent the time to do the mission and got nothing out of it.
Last edited by Thaelyn on Sep 7, 2014, 11:04:15 AM
"
Thaelyn wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
That still doesn't answer my question. I agree it should be more, but in reality, I don't think it should be more than 250 MAX.

I'd love to get 250 for doing them. Since I came back to PoE for FM I've primarily played a single character, up to level 72 at this point. Along the way I've gotten all masters except Zana to level 4 or 5. Then I started a new character and as soon as I left Lioneye's Watch to make my way to Tidal I ran across Haku (master level 4 at the time). I did his mission, checking the reputation before going in. Upon completion I checked the reputation again and it was exactly the same as before the quest.

Now, I'm not saying I should get a few thousand rep for doing a mission for a level 4 master at character level 2, but getting precisely zero reputation is a bit off putting. Perhaps it was a bug, I don't know. I just know that I spent the time to do the mission and got nothing out of it.

I personally think that 250 would be miserable gain for a low level area for a low level player. Why risk death running a master in a low level area for a quarter of a percent reputation when you can instead use the time to get to a higher level area where your returns will be ten times as much? It just doesn't make sense.

Gotta say, the master XP formula should primarily be based on [Player Level / Zone Level]. Big penalties should kick in if the player level is more than about 1.2x the zone level -- except when zone level > 65 or so, so that people can relentlessly farm endgame content without fear of penalties.

Someone doing a master mission in a zone they should be in should not be penalized.

If someone wants to power-farm masters as low levels in twinked gear, I say more power to them. They already have plenty of penalties for doing that, such as: (1) get crap for drops, (2) naturally gather enough XP that they have to re-roll chars pretty frequently to avoid picking up the penalties and/or leveling past their twinked gear (wasting a lot of time to get back to where they were again), (3) no experience gain on a "real" account, and (4) their move speed probably sucks in that low-level gear, which should naturally throttle the reputation gains per minute.

That's plenty disincentive.
"
Thaelyn wrote:

I am going to say that. You should get thousands for that. Your level 5 character in a level 5 zone should be facing the same amount of reputation gain for doing a mission as a level 50 character in a level 50 zone.

The only thing I can think of that could possibly have led to this crazy formula we've got is that it was balanced around hardcore players with a giant middle-finger raised towards softcore.
Last edited by Sayyid on Sep 7, 2014, 4:44:14 PM
So, you want to remove the risk v reward? Because high lvl masters mission are much more difficult. The MS part is also wrong. You van attain insane MS at low levels. You also wouldn't have to reroll. Ever. At least in SC. You just kill yourself.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
So, you want to remove the risk v reward? Because high lvl masters mission are much more difficult. The MS part is also wrong. You van attain insane MS at low levels. You also wouldn't have to reroll. Ever. At least in SC. You just kill yourself.

Actually... they aren't. My first Haku mission killed me. There were so many totems, later I had no problems with them. Also Vagan while leveling is terrorizing. Exspecially in maps up to 70 however he is pushover. Also early Elreons can be rather tough for certain chars.

Also I'm not sure how killing yourself would help... you would have to reach cruel for that first and I can't see how running Cruel Docks vs. Merciless Docks or any other zone is any better, since in both cases a high level char will tear through docks easily.

A complete system, if I could make one, would include a penalty for lower difficulties (or bonus for higher once), scaling based on level like currency (so -2,5% for levels+2 over the area up to lvl68). And ideally 2,5% bonus-xp per Map-Level above 66. It is really hard to include the mods from maps, since some of them give great boni without making the much that much harder depending on the build. If more players are in a group the experience is given out based on the highest player in the group.

I would use a penalty of 50% for Normal and 25% for Cruel. Thats hard enough to make Cruel or normal not really better than doing runs in easy merc-zones (which is what happens now). I just assume the base-xp is 5.000 to give some examples:

1. LvL4 and LvL5 in LvL4 Area, Normal

Due to the LvL5 in the group they are both threated as 5, however the Area gives no penalty, due to nobody being over LvL6. So they both get 2.500 xp.

2. LvL10 and LvL14 in LvL11 Area, Normal

The LvL14 pushs the group up to LvL14, which means they are 3 levels above the zone. Since only 2 are allowed they get -2,5% xp, resulting in only 2.438 xp.

3. LvL83 in LvL62 Area, Merciless

Since the char is above LvL68 he will be threated as being LvL68. The area is thus 6 levels below him, and 4 levels below including the +2 tolerance. So he gets -10% xp, resulting in 4.500 xp.

4. LvL91 in LvL75 Map, Merciless

Since for Maps the char-Levels are irrelevant (the lowest map is 66, with a tolerance of +2 you end up with 68, which is the level you are threated as if lvl68 or higher), you only get the bonus for map-level. The map is 9 levels above the lowest one, thus providing 22,5% bonus-xp, netting 6.125 xp.

Maybe people will abuse this and farm xp in normal... but really how much worse than running docks over and over or simply sharing a lot of dailies can this be? On the other side the current system is incredible punishing for people who like to reroll chars, which is kinda odd, considering that PoE is partially build around rerolling chars.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Because high lvl masters mission are much more difficult.

Nope.
Last edited by Sayyid on Sep 8, 2014, 7:38:43 PM
There are three variables in play... Character level, area level, and master level. The problem seems to be when we have Clvl=Alvl<Mlvl. People want more reward for that. I concur... especially because I play HC and am starting a new character.
"
Sayyid wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Because high lvl masters mission are much more difficult.

Nope.

BS. Haku missions in high lvl maps are much more difficult. Seeing as how his areas are +1 map lvl AND spawn mods. The dmg gets insane. I ran ALL of his missions up the this point no problem. Now.... I check the mods when I walk in. The totem boss is like labyrinth boss. Extra ele dmg can be NASTY.
"
Emphasy wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Actually... they aren't. My first Haku mission killed me. There were so many totems, later I had no problems with them. Also Vagan while leveling is terrorizing. Exspecially in maps up to 70 however he is pushover. Also early Elreons can be rather tough for certain chars.

Also I'm not sure how killing yourself would help... you would have to reach cruel for that first and I can't see how running Cruel Docks vs. Merciless Docks or any other zone is any better, since in both cases a high level char will tear through docks easily.

A complete system, if I could make one, would include a penalty for lower difficulties (or bonus for higher once), scaling based on level like currency (so -2,5% for levels+2 over the area up to lvl68). And ideally 2,5% bonus-xp per Map-Level above 66. It is really hard to include the mods from maps, since some of them give great boni without making the much that much harder depending on the build. If more players are in a group the experience is given out based on the highest player in the group.

I would use a penalty of 50% for Normal and 25% for Cruel. Thats hard enough to make Cruel or normal not really better than doing runs in easy merc-zones (which is what happens now). I just assume the base-xp is 5.000 to give some examples:

1. LvL4 and LvL5 in LvL4 Area, Normal

Due to the LvL5 in the group they are both threated as 5, however the Area gives no penalty, due to nobody being over LvL6. So they both get 2.500 xp.

2. LvL10 and LvL14 in LvL11 Area, Normal

The LvL14 pushs the group up to LvL14, which means they are 3 levels above the zone. Since only 2 are allowed they get -2,5% xp, resulting in only 2.438 xp.

3. LvL83 in LvL62 Area, Merciless

Since the char is above LvL68 he will be threated as being LvL68. The area is thus 6 levels below him, and 4 levels below including the +2 tolerance. So he gets -10% xp, resulting in 4.500 xp.

4. LvL91 in LvL75 Map, Merciless

Since for Maps the char-Levels are irrelevant (the lowest map is 66, with a tolerance of +2 you end up with 68, which is the level you are threated as if lvl68 or higher), you only get the bonus for map-level. The map is 9 levels above the lowest one, thus providing 22,5% bonus-xp, netting 6.125 xp.

Maybe people will abuse this and farm xp in normal... but really how much worse than running docks over and over or simply sharing a lot of dailies can this be? On the other side the current system is incredible punishing for people who like to reroll chars, which is kinda odd, considering that PoE is partially build around rerolling chars.

Now this makes much more sense.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info