Master Reputation Gain Formula Is Effed

This issue didn't seem to make it into 1.2.2. GGG needs to at least give us a "working as intended" on it.
"
My experiences so far with the masters;

After 9 days and 21 hours played, my masters are still lvl 5 and 6. My main character is lvl 90 and have done Atziri multiple times. One would think masters were there to help you progress through the game, but what good are they to me now?

I have done the missions so many times now, that they are getting tedious and a bit annoying to do. I don't even see the reputation bar move for my lvl 6 masters when doing quests in lvl 75+ zones.

Has anyone done the math yet? Feels like I must do 50 or some missions from lvl 6 to 7. Lord knows how many it is from 7 to 8?

If I play 5 hours in a day I'm lucky to find each master 2-3 times, not counting daily quests. How many hours will it then take me from lvl 6 to 8? Answer is too many hours for me to care. I have started skipping them. They are a waste of time if I can't get them to level 8 before the league ends anyway.

Exactly. I'm 100h into Beyond and I still dont have a single master at 7. And that's with doing every daily, every random encounter and a lot of early league farming.

It's again a new content that one can't full experience. I might hit one lvl 8 master but the league will be over by then so what is the points of leveling them?
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
My complaint isn't so much the rate... it's about equity. There needs to be some between solo and grouped play. Currently it's night and day. There also needs to be some reward given to doing quests when there is risk involved. Character level needs to be taken into the formula.

A level 5 character doing a mission in a level 5 zone should get the same rep gain regardless of what level the master is. It would be fine if a level 50 character got none, and it would be fine if there was really no point to running level 5 characters to level up a higher level master. But no reward when risk is involved is, as the OP says, Effed.

Fixes I would have implemented in 1.2.2:

1) 10x rep on dailies instead of 2.5x. This helps solo play and does little to the power grinders.
2) Rework the formula for Rep gain so that character level/area level plays a much greater role.
3) Move many of the level 8 functions lower in the progression. Level 8 should have luxury written all over it, and not include functional effects like removal of crafted mods.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
My complaint isn't so much the rate... it's about equity. There needs to be some between solo and grouped play. Currently it's night and day. There also needs to be some reward given to doing quests when there is risk involved. Character level needs to be taken into the formula.

A level 5 character doing a mission in a level 5 zone should get the same rep gain regardless of what level the master is. It would be fine if a level 50 character got none, and it would be fine if there was really no point to running level 5 characters to level up a higher level master. But no reward when risk is involved is, as the OP says, Effed.

Fixes I would have implemented in 1.2.2:

1) 10x rep on dailies instead of 2.5x. This helps solo play and does little to the power grinders.
2) Rework the formula for Rep gain so that character level/area level plays a much greater role.
3) Move many of the level 8 functions lower in the progression. Level 8 should have luxury written all over it, and not include functional effects like removal of crafted mods.

I agree with all of these, maybe keep removing the mod at 8 but a level 4 or something master could replace the mod, so you still can't use that mod for the purpose of taking something out of the pool for exalting as well, but could change it if you wanted to.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

How does that only help solo and not group runners?
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
"
holocaustus wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Because they don't get the bonus. You only get the bonus for your dailies... not for the dailies of other players/accounts that you participated in.
If someone would test this in 1.2.2 that would be swell.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Out of curiosity, how much exp do you believe you should get for running that quest in normal?

I think it's an issue to reward players in normal solely with EXP, considering that leveling in that brackets is like flying in mach 3 anyway, exaggerated of course. EXP rewards do not feel rewarding at this point of the game.

I am on the same page as OP, naturally as I spend way more time to reroll in this game than anything else. Something this game encourages on multiple levels with difficulty walls and gear/unqiue drops not appropriate for your current character.

This is how I feel with the current Master situation: I encounter a master in an area I am currently progressing. "Great, something to change the pace and challenge me a bit." I then progress the quest asap often enough successfully even if some troubles were present. I complete the quest and see a reputation progression of 5 points because Master Haku is not impressed with my near death experience on level 18. "What is the point?" is the most present thought in my head at this point.

Many quests are really underwhelming in drops, due to quest design. EXP is something I could care jack shit about and it's only really of concern for people approaching map grind. Reputation would have been the only life-saver for the reward situation here but because I got Haku and other masters to level 3 in my first normal playthrough I don't feel encouraged to do any Master on my second and numerous playthroughs thereafter.

I have several suggestions in mind to approach this problem. One would be to reset the vendor of a master in town if you do his quest in the wilds. Problem with this? At some point the items in offer will not be appropriate for your level. A too abstract reward, imo.

I'd rather go for a quest reward screen where you can choose a selection of randomly generated rares not yet identified. For many late-game players this reward will still be shit but the perceived reward level of them is heavily biased by the structure of item design anyway. On the other hand low-to-mid tier players will feel encouraged to do master quests at any point, diversifying the game experience any shitty reputation gains aside. The most important thing: It won't outpace boss runs in item acquisition at any point and won't outpace maps in exp acquisition anyway.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Sep 12, 2014, 6:54:18 AM
"
holocaustus wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

because only the host of the particular daily gets the bonus ,

so a level 5 zana daily for me with this change would be 40k exp , but for you only 4k
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Sep 12, 2014, 7:36:30 AM
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
"
holocaustus wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

because only the host of the particular daily gets the bonus ,

so a level 5 zana daily for me with this change would be 40k exp , but for you only 4k
Right, I hadn't done any group dailies at that point so I had no idea how it works.

I'm in support of buffing the rep on dailies, but I doubt they'd do that as one of their stated goals was that people don't feel obligated to log in to do dailies out of fear to miss out on too much rep. Ofc way it stands now you feel obligated to run daily chains because you get 20k rep in one swoop rather than just 5k soloing it.

Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info