Master Reputation Gain Formula Is Effed

So, I recently started a second char in rampage after getting a bit bored with my first one. Figured it would be a good way to keep the game lively. I figured I'd also be able to balance out some of the masters I'd been neglecting in my daily rotations.

So I'm whipping through Act I with a pile of crap leveling uniques as gear and stumble into merveil's lair. "Talamoana, Warrior!" I'm level 15 in the level 14 zone. Cool shoes, a chance for me to get Haku boosted. After all, my Haku is barely above level 4 right now. He guts my other build.

I talk to him and make special note of my reputation with him: 14023 of 17520. I'm anal like that, I track progress like a hawk.

So I am le running through the mission, dodging invincible totems and getting chased by a ton of raging spirits or something. Even with my uniques for gear, my health is dropping relatively fast and I need to hit a few pots to survive. Fair enough -- this is why my Haku is still just level 4, and why I was rolling a tankier character in part to diversify my masters.

I make it out with the spirit riding my back, talk to my level 4 Haku and am eager to see how much reputation I just earned for working on tough content in a zone that I was appropriately leveled to do.

Gold sparks fly, happy.wav plays to encourage me, and I smile a little.

Then I look at my progress bar. 14028 of 17520.

Five. I gained FIVE reputation for my near death experience on my pathetically underleveled rank four Haku.

What in the sweet hell is that? Why is the formula apparently basing itself 100% on master level and completely ignoring something common-sense like "is your character appropriately leveled for this zone?"

I guess it was just silly me thinking I could scrounge even a small amount of worthwhile progress out of re-leveling a new character. Should have just paid someone for a rush, or bought some facebreakers or something instead of actually trying to play the game at low levels...
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Five points seems low... perhaps you're mistaken. It's been a while since I did Act I normal.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Five points seems low... perhaps you're mistaken. It's been a while since I did Act I normal.

I highly doubt I am mistaken. I was specifically checking that GGG hadn't done something like overcompensate for the possibility of people rerolling new characters to level their masters, despite the fact that rerolling new characters would be obnoxiously boring and wall everyone doing it off from any good drops. Disappointingly, I found they had done exactly that.

In any case, when I run across someone in A2N I'll update this thread with more data points.
Second master found at A2N, Chamber of Sins level 3. I was level 20, zone level was 21. Catarina is level 4 for me. Completed her mission and here are the results:

Catarina went from 4172/22920 to 4688/22920.

So that would be 516 reputation. That's slightly less obnoxiously terrible than "five", but it's still only 2.25% of total XP needed on a mere level 4 master. This makes me suspect even more strongly that the reputation gain is tied only to master level and zone level.

I guess I am skipping the rest of them until Cruel.

Edit: Found another catarina in Weaver's chambers. 5090 reputation now, which works out to, er, 402 total gained from that mission, less than 2% of the total I need to get to level 5 catarina. Don't know why I bothered. Dropped to under 50 hp at one point doing her mission. Only survived because I somehow managed not to desynch running away from the pack of corrupted stuff.

Risk/reward is totally out of line on these things.
Last edited by Sayyid on Sep 6, 2014, 1:56:28 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

He may be off by no more than a few points. I got 14 for doing an Act 1 N Haku on a new character, when he was on level 5 and needed thousands of experience to hit 6.
Yeah they completely messed up the leveling curve for them.
When i hit lvl 80, some of mine were still level 2, and i did every single one i encountered.
Now im doing daily missions in level 30 areas with a level 80 character. Not messed up at all.
Last edited by gh0un on Sep 6, 2014, 2:34:06 PM
give it time , my self and many others have already pointed it out this flaw in the system. So i am positive ggg has taken notice.

Now i doubt they will fully address it in this league , but next league they will probably implement a separate system.

the major worry they have (probably) is they don't want people grinding low level masters using twink characters . which was a serious issue back in closed and open beta with low level multi boxers.

they are probably busy finding a way around that hurdle.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Sep 6, 2014, 2:45:23 PM
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
give it time , my self and many others have already pointed it out this flaw in the system. So i am positive ggg has taken notice.

Now i doubt they will fully address it in this league , but next league they will probably implement a separate system.

the major worry they have (probably) is they don't want people grinding low level masters using twink characters . which was a serious issue back in closed and open beta with low level multi boxers.

they are probably busy finding a way around that hurdle.

The entire playerbase suffering because a few people chose to exploit? They should have never allowed multi-boxing, period. They also shouldn't allow autohotkey, most games ban it, but GGG is apparently eploit friendly, so I don't see the problem with just having the exp gain fixed by the level of your master.
Out of curiosity, how much exp do you believe you should get for running that quest in normal?
Good question! Do you really expect to get a lot of rep doing a high level master in a low level area? There is no way to make that work without totally breaking the master leveling system. Why should I risk death doing a Haku mission in a map when I can just get him to level 8 running normal mudflats?
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Sep 6, 2014, 4:13:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info