1.3 ✮ The Crit DoT Chin Sol build ✮ Puncture Trap / Ice Shot (Build of the Week S3E3)

I'm just asking if I can use Atziri Splendour, it looks like better res version of Belly of the beast. Is Atziri Splendour good for that build?

Which version of this armor should I choose? evasion?
Last edited by ziumbala on Jan 26, 2015, 11:43:57 PM
Been running this build for a while, and its pretty amazing. Only question ive got is whether its worth switching to a high crit/dps harbinger bow instead of a chin sol. Now i know taking away the chin sol will make the puncture trap less effective. So i was wondering whether the switch will actually be worth it. Trying to balance the trade-offs of using a harbinger / chin sol. Help or suggestions will be much appreciated!
IGN: puffnumbertwo
"
Puff_Maestro wrote:
Been running this build for a while, and its pretty amazing. Only question ive got is whether its worth switching to a high crit/dps harbinger bow instead of a chin sol. Now i know taking away the chin sol will make the puncture trap less effective

It depends on several factors. I really like using the harbinger because clearing with ice shot is much faster than using chin sol. If you play solo and have taken more DPS nodes than survivability nodes than a chin sol will have enough DPS to clear mobs while enjoying the puncture trap boost bonus. If you also group your DPS will probably be too low (read: mobs will have more health so overkill prolifs from HoA are less mostly).

The higher DPS on a harbinger will make up for some of the 100% close range bonus of chin sol and the crit % increase means more puncture traps will crit but the 100% "more" (i.o. increased) boost is by far the better option for puncture traps.

Still, puncture trap does good damage on elite mobs so personally it's a good trade off for the much increased damage on ice shot. I will soon 5L my harbinger and put a crit damage gem as 5th link on puncture and then I'm sure the damage on puncture trap without a chin sol will be good enough to take out single, elite mobs. Best benefit of chin sol is that it's easier/cheaper to get than a good harbinger.
You don’t stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
Hey all :)

Returned from a 4 month break, and was inundated with PM's/invites! I'm glad to see that a lot of you are enjoying this build, and I apologize for not having updated this thread since September. Anyway, I did a quick review on the build, and 99.9% of the original guide is still relevant. Only 1 passive point difference, and the slight Puncture nerf. Otherwise, this build still runs maps/Atziri nearly the same as it did before. I browsed through the new gems and unique items that were released in 1.3, however there wasn't anything notable that could be added to this build.

Head over to the OP if you want to see the updated tree, and revised info. Hopefully this build stays relatively the same (or gets buffed) when 1.4 is released!

"
Puff_Maestro wrote:
Been running this build for a while, and its pretty amazing. Only question ive got is whether its worth switching to a high crit/dps harbinger bow instead of a chin sol. Now i know taking away the chin sol will make the puncture trap less effective. So i was wondering whether the switch will actually be worth it. Trying to balance the trade-offs of using a harbinger / chin sol. Help or suggestions will be much appreciated!

Performance/value-wise, Chin Sol is unmatched. A couple Chaos to buy in most leagues, and can pretty much cover all mapping + Atziri. If you're using a 5L, Chin Sol's damage only starts to lack a bit, if you want to do Uber Atziri, when consistency in critting really helps survivability. A switch to 100% using Harbinger would only be worth it if you could get your hands on a pDPS bow of 350+, which costs 10-15ex at the cheapest on Standard.

If you happen to find a lower-end Harbinger (~275 pDPS), one method that's been mentioned earlier in the thread is to have 2 bows: Harbinger for general purpose (Ice shot), and then Chin Sol on switch, to use Puncture Trap for really tough bosses.
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
✮ [Shop] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/909223
✮ [Build of the Week] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
Last edited by rrtson on Feb 4, 2015, 3:47:57 PM
"
rrtson wrote:
Hey all :)

Returned from a 4 month break, and was inundated with PM's/invites! I'm glad to see that a lot of you are enjoying this build, and I apologize for not having updated this thread since September. Anyway, I did a quick review on the build, and 99.9% of the original guide is still relevant. Only 1 passive point difference, and the slight Puncture nerf. Otherwise, this build still runs maps/Atziri nearly the same as it did before. I browsed through the new gems and unique items that were released in 1.3, however there wasn't anything notable that could be added to this build.

Head over to the OP if you want to see the updated tree, and revised info. Hopefully this build stays relatively the same (or gets buffed) when 1.4 is released!

"
Puff_Maestro wrote:

Performance/value-wise, Chin Sol is unmatched. A couple Chaos to buy in most leagues, and can pretty much cover all mapping + Atziri. If you're using a 5L, Chin Sol's damage only starts to lack a bit, if you want to do Uber Atziri, when consistency in critting really helps survivability. A switch to 100% using Harbinger would only be worth it if you could get your hands on a pDPS bow of 350+, which costs 10-15ex at the cheapest on Standard.

If you happen to find a lower-end Harbinger (~275 pDPS), one method that's been mentioned earlier in the thread is to have 2 bows: Harbinger for general purpose (Ice shot), and then Chin Sol on switch, to use Puncture Trap for really tough bosses.

I finally bought Glyph Mark and instantly used it. My damage skyrocketed. Atziri and Death and Taxes are done in less than 2-5 mins. A high Crit Chance Harbinger with some good Phys DMG on it is definitely going to make you stronger.
Charge and attack, going to hell an back!
"
ziumbala wrote:
I'm just asking if I can use Atziri Splendour, it looks like better res version of Belly of the beast. Is Atziri Splendour good for that build?

Which version of this armor should I choose? evasion?

I tried it with Atziri's Splendour and I can say you will get increased Evasion but you lose about 400 health. From my experience I can tell you need those 400 health otherwise you will be a one hit kill.
Charge and attack, going to hell an back!
Thanks rrtson for this build, it's amazing!

I've got one problem with this build. I'm always afraid of "Fracture" in maps.

Always when I see bigger group of monsters I've got to kill them in parts or in other way I'll get "Disconnect". The same got everyone party member which was on map with me.
"
Fracturing mobs = fun!
Now it isn't.

In your AOE spell (Ice Shot) I changed one gem and now it looks:
Ice Shot
Physical Projectile Attack Damage
Pierce
Weapon Elemental Damage
Added Fire Damage

My aura gems looks the same like yours (Reduced Mana, Herald of Ash, Hatred, Elemental Proliferation).

Thanks for help.
Hi guys,

Just wanna give out a shout out to op, just finally got my pieces together and thanking rrtson for the fun build.

Gears
Spoiler

I just need to level my gems, get to go.

Andy
Last edited by RGVsUrTexas on Mar 10, 2015, 6:48:08 AM
Finally got everything together for this build. Just need to level a little bit so I can get Doryani's... and chance a Voll's (but that one probably won't happen).

Incredibly fun build, can't wait to level up my gems further and get more Passive Points. Hit 62 today, put on my Chin Sol, and breezed through a low map. The DoT and the effect is pretty cool, and I never got a 5L on my Tornado Shot Ranger so I wasn't able to experience the awesomeness that is Puncture-Trap :3

Great stuff!

Spoiler
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Hi, have a 6l chin sol and a 5l chest. What its better to do 6l: puncture trap or ice shot? What with 5l?

Thanks for help

nice build!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info