Do Masters kill the future temporary leagues for you?

"
SkyPiglet wrote:
Besides other people's suggestions of increasing the reputation rate and the chance to spawn, i think the largest issue is that a lot of the missions just aren't that fun, and the variety is pretty limited. Many of them are boring after the first few times, and when you throw in issues like desync in Karui Spirit missions or Zana's Lodestones being nigh-impossible to click on, it becomes frustrating rather than enjoyable. There need to be more mission types, and the ones that are in the game right now need to be fixed.

But they have already said several times that they plan to add more missions and content and they even just ran a poll on which master to add more missions to.

I'd recommend staying hopeful and being patient! :D
Last edited by DestroTheGod on Sep 2, 2014, 12:41:07 PM
It would be cool if they took all the masters exp you accrued in temporary league and added it to your master in the perma league at the end of the league.
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
This wont stop me from playing the new leagues.

There really is no real "Grind" for them to be honest, you were already grinding out maps anyways. The masters are just something extra to be found not unlike if they added a new "Orb" to the game.

We always restart in a new league regardless of the fact that we may have saved up 5000c worth of gear and currency or more in our current league. We abandon it to start over.

Masters don't change that. You already grind out currency, so nothing changes.

They are a "cool" thing to do but I don't believe in making it a priority.

So "No" they will not kill future leagues for me because in a nutshell they don't matter all that much, I'll let the grinders and the masters of trade do their thing like they always do and buy the items that I need from them just as I have always done.
Due to the masters I doubt I will do any more temporary leagues unless they are insanely amazing enough to forgo both having masters already and making zero progress on existing masters in standard.
"
Mivo wrote:
"
heyyous wrote:
Are you the same people that do not realize selling rares and stacking alts makes a ton of currency alone?

Irrelevant to this topic. Yes, you can sit in trade channel all day and flip items, or sell crappy stuff at 1-2c, but what does that have to do with this thread? I could have spent a week in 820 and leveled my masters, too, and I could do that every 3-4 months again. That doesn't change the fact that I have no interest in doing so and that it might kill future temporary leagues to me.

The reason why I mentioned this is because someone is saying that the masters are made to help solo players get better gear and that releveling the masters will make gearing characters in a new league harder.

I meant selling rares to the vendors so you can stack up alteration orbs. You must be one of those people that don't understand that you are always generating currency even if you don't find that big orb drop every hour..

So basically who cares about the masters... They do have some benefits but some people in this thread make them out to be the center piece of this game...
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
Define long-term please. I see people already have them at lvl 8. Sure they grinded a lot, but we are only a few weeks in.

I can only go by my own experiences, obviously, since it's the only reliable data available to me. One of these experiences is that I ran 27 maps (yes, I keep track) without meeting Zana even once. There are people who make different claims (either not seeing her in 50+ maps, or seeing her repeatedly in just a few maps), but again, the only information I can really base anything on is what I have experienced myself. I'll keep collecting this data for myself and see what maps-per-Zana ratio I eventually arrive at.

XP gains, especially from 7-8 are extremely low, and running (and getting) higher maps for character progression is not necessarily trivial. If we assume 3 hours per day of playing video games as a "normal" and "healthy" amount (most of us play more than this right now), I conclude that getting Zana to 8 would definitely take me longer than a year, based on my experiences so far.

Those experiences (not those of others) determine whether or not I will participate in temporary leagues and repeat the masters grind. This is really about the appeal of temporary leagues -- not so much about the masters system itself in the context of a permanent league. If I was a primarily Standard or HC player, I'd not consider changing how I play the game in the future. I'd just keep playing and do master quests as I encounter them.

Every time you start a new league you are abandoning the old with all that time spent grinding for gear. You spent untold hours grinding away to get that new 5 link or 6 link perfect item to your build etc....

There will be no difference here, between grinding for the gear and grinding out masters. You are even doing it in the same areas. The masters are just bonus content in the areas you were already going to farm anyways.

Think of the masters as just something extra added, as if they gave us a new Orb to stockpile and use.

To do anything to "give advantage" to the haves vs have nots in a new league would completely defeat the purpose of people starting over on a level playing field, which is why they have leagues and seasons. Everyone has a fighting chance to be on top, even the newest player.
"
Spodean wrote:

Every time you start a new league you are abandoning the old with all that time spent grinding for gear. You spent untold hours grinding away to get that new 5 link or 6 link perfect item to your build etc....

There will be no difference here, between grinding for the gear and grinding out masters.

The difference is that it's an additional task, and one that I don't enjoy. I'm fine with leveling new characters and gearing them up, all of which already does involve grinding, but if we have to also start over with masters (and it would be consistent), then that pushes me over the edge. It's too much for a 3-4 month period, at least for me. It's of course subjective, but for me, I feel that it'll just be too much. It really is already now, if I look at how much time I spend playing, doing things I already did before numerous times.

Like I said, I'm not criticizing the system. I only arrived at the conclusion that temporary leagues are probably no longer for me, and I wondered if others had started to think about the same, for the same reasons. I think what I'll do in the future is to just play Standard and plain HC (stuff can be easily moved down to Standard at any time), and just make one new character in temporary leagues and farm a bit so that I can buy the exclusive items.
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
To do anything to "give advantage" to the haves vs have nots in a new league would completely defeat the purpose of people starting over on a level playing field, which is why they have leagues and seasons. Everyone has a fighting chance to be on top, even the newest player.

This is another reason carrying over masters wouldn't do anything other than help new/casual players. The people who will have level 8 masters to carry over would just as easily get them in a new league. The net for them is no change. The new(er) player on the other hand won't be getting level 8 or even close, so anything carried over will be a relative gain for them vs the top players.
Last edited by Askers on Sep 2, 2014, 3:04:49 PM
One way to fix this issue would be to use the same system as race rewards.
Reset all masters to level 1 at the start of the league, and after 2-3 weeks, switch to whatever is highest, your new or old level.
It would make no difference to people playing competitively, since you would probably be out of the loop anyway if you hadn't maxed them at that point.
"
Mivo wrote:
In another thread, that topic was touched on, but it probably should have its own one.

So far, I have pretty much exclusively played temporary leagues, because I like the fresh start, and feel that it's a good opportunity to try out new builds without twinking them. I'm also not a fan of legacy items, and I do enjoy the little challenges in the same way I enjoy achievements: they provide mini objectives and keep the game fresh; they're "something to do".

Sometimes, restarting every few months felt a bit like being trapped in a hamster wheel, but still, since it was always fun and I ended up playing way too much at the start of every new league, it was always worth it. Fun, at the end of the day, is all that matters in a game.

And that brings us to the new Masters system -- the new mechanic aimed at making the game less frustrating and tedious for mostly-solo players, which is the stated focus of this expansion. After two weeks, I can safely conclude for myself that in its current state it is anything but "not frustrating" for this mostly-solo player.

Case in point, I ran 27 maps in a row without encountering Zana even once, and I saw two other Masters in that time. Or rather, one: Haku the Master of Desynchronization, twice. A map takes me about 15 minutes, so that is about seven hours. At that rate (and I may not find her for another dozens of maps), it will indeed be a "multi-year grind" to get her to a higher level. You know, the thing we've been told it wouldn't be.

But anyway, the real issue for me is that I absolutely will not re-do the masters grind every 3-4 months, because it's not fun. For me, this means I'll play the Beyond successor at the end of the year into the next (since I have no HC masters), and then probably stick to Standard or Plain HC. I'm not totally decided on this yet, but if masters need to be re-leveled in temporary leagues (is that even an "if"?), I think that really destroys them for me, much as I love their other aspects. I don't really particularly like to play in Standard, either, which does present a bit of a problem for me.

How do you see this?

BINGO. As long as a new league won't pass Master XP to the Standard league, it's idiotic to play a new league until you have all Masters at level 8. Death to the leagues.

Also expect variety of builds to dwindle to the few that are able to solo each Master.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info