Random generated uniques - New Rarity

A skill that kills everything wouldnt be OP. Would be game breaking.

GGG themselves have said they arent against builds and items that make the character feel OP. As in powerfull.

If you want I can call it only powerfull and not OP.

But regardless is totally possible to create this new rarity balancing according.

GGG has done worse, with the additional arrow on quivers corruption, mirror and uniques like kaoms heart, shavs and many others.

I dont ask for OP items, i ask for more interesting items. If by making this new rarity causes to the server have 1 amazing powerfull item drop every 1 month, than is the price we pay for more interesting items, a drop rate less than the powerfull mirror, so is worth it.

Like a said, balacing is important, a mix of drop rate, strenght of properties and drawnbacks and rule of which benefits drawnback can go together ala prefix suffix rules would work also.
IGN: Pumar, Pumam , PumarR , PumaPunch , PumaWander , PumaCleave, PumaSlams
I think you are missing on some important points :

+ If you don't have the tools to craft it, then it goes against on of the core aspects of the game : currency. If you have the tools to craft it, then it's just a slight change of an existing rarity : rare.

+ The developers are adding additional effects for rare items, little by little. It may not be as fast as you would wish it to be, but it's happening. At some point, they will probably add an equivalent to nemesis mods on rare items, which is basically what you are looking for.

+ Your principle of drawbacks itself is flawed, as players are going to try to get that one drawback that doesn't actually harm the character in any way. Like no life-regen on a chaos inoculation build. This adds another layer of randomness that leads to more excessive grinding (bad). If you want the item to have both a game-changing power and a drawback, they have to be linked or it won't lead to balance.

+ Actual uniques can't be compared to this, as the developers can easily check whether there is an issue and correct it for future drops (many uniques have been reworked so that they would have a better balance). Uniques give the developers more freedom, because they have a complete agency on how they function.
Ropumar, as I've hinted before, I like the concept of cursed/doubled-edged items.
However, they CANNOT be randomly generated.

Cursed/double-edged Uniques?
Sure. GGG can control exactly what bonus goes with what penalty.

Randomly generated Cursed/double-edged items?
If the bonus and the penalty are generated independently from each other, it does not work.
Either A) their power is balanced towards the most insane combos possible, and everything else is just utter shit;
Or B) their power is balanced towards the average combos, and you'll have those insane low drop rate combos defining the "new meta", leading to the "low drop rate justifies OP" scenario.

If the bonus and the penalty are not generated independently from each other, it may work, but then it's likely that either the bonus/penalty are exciting enough that no one uses normal rares... or not exciting enough and it's just as boring as rares.

It's... a double-edged idea.
Sounds awesome in concept.
Doesn't really work with the way you can abuse bonuses and ignore drawbacks.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Nov 1, 2014, 10:26:20 PM
Let me give an example.

Lets assume a double edge property that would be able to appear on any piece of item:

Bonus: Convert 25% of lighnining damage to chaos damage.

Negative: A random one, from a list that GGG find reasonable with that property. So would have a soft link, but would still be random from that list.

To get 100% lightiing damage converted to chaos, someone would have to find 4 double item (which would be rarer than unique) and the 4 negative bonus would have to not break his build. Considering the rarity and probablity, would be very hard, All to not need to use the Voltaxic Rift.

This marginal bonus, would make random item way more interesting for the said player that is interested in making a chaos build.

Thinking of possibility, fire converted to chaos, cold converted to fire and so on.

As you can see, the bonus is not amazing, but is interesting enough to make item hunting for unique builds interesting. The bonus is not as amazing as the conversion you can get on a unique item, but worth when considering you could get luck on the randomnes.
Last edited by ropumar on Nov 8, 2014, 10:49:20 AM
bumping cause i am annoying.
chritmas is a wonderful time
My idea was way less OP than shaper and elder rares came to be. You can even chaos and master craft those rares.

I am happy with elder and shaper rares, those together with essences give a great deal of life to the RNG generated "unique" like my suggestion was trying to achieve, although I think the implementation gives room for Power creep.

Would like to see other bosses having another set of mods tied to rares, while fun, the mods available seem a little restricted as of now in diversity.

Last edited by ropumar on Dec 14, 2017, 6:17:51 PM
"
caboom wrote:

wand:
-increase physical dmg by 300%, reduce spell dmg by 30%
-greatly increase elemental dmg , reduce resistances by 30%
-eatly increase elemental dmg , but reduce base energy shield by 50%

robe
-greatly increase ES, reduce resistances by 30%
-gives chaos inmunity, removes energy shield from robe, gives - 30% to ressist and sockets become void (can use gems in them but they will provide no skill nor gain any exp)

extra posible fixes:

ethereal: gives 60% to avoid any incoming dmg but take 50% more dmg from elementals
rock: greatly increase armor but olso greatly decrease moving speed
reckless: greatly increase physical dmg but -30% to max hp and attack speed.

may be even gems
double edge strike: +200% dmg (+5% per lv) on hit but take 25% of dmg done
last will: +500% dmg aoe (+10% per lv)on hit but stun the user and drop his hp to 1.

What is the point of +#stat and -#stat? You can simply have 2 rares which do the same job. And if not, you're ruining the balance (if there is any to begin with). Other ones are simply uniques.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
GGG can't really decide what is a negative modifier, since a lot of builds make use of normally negative modifiers such as -1 max frenzy charges to gain a benefit.
"
Perq wrote:
"
caboom wrote:

wand:
-increase physical dmg by 300%, reduce spell dmg by 30%
-greatly increase elemental dmg , reduce resistances by 30%
-eatly increase elemental dmg , but reduce base energy shield by 50%

robe
-greatly increase ES, reduce resistances by 30%
-gives chaos inmunity, removes energy shield from robe, gives - 30% to ressist and sockets become void (can use gems in them but they will provide no skill nor gain any exp)

extra posible fixes:

ethereal: gives 60% to avoid any incoming dmg but take 50% more dmg from elementals
rock: greatly increase armor but olso greatly decrease moving speed
reckless: greatly increase physical dmg but -30% to max hp and attack speed.

may be even gems
double edge strike: +200% dmg (+5% per lv) on hit but take 25% of dmg done
last will: +500% dmg aoe (+10% per lv)on hit but stun the user and drop his hp to 1.

What is the point of +#stat and -#stat? You can simply have 2 rares which do the same job. And if not, you're ruining the balance (if there is any to begin with). Other ones are simply uniques.

Check the date of this post :/
self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info