Random generated uniques - New Rarity

This is completely unnecessary. If you want items that have fixed, game changing abilities look no further than uniques. If you want randomized items that can potentially roll insane synergies then rares already do that (seen any insane crit daggers?). what you want (essentially) is stronger rare affixes that have a drawback, but since both the benefit and the drawback are random the possibility exists that the drawback is irrelevant. In that case this new type of item would be clearly superior to vanilla rares and introduce more power creep, which is the last thing this game needs.

Im all for more items with interesting trade offs but such items have to be approached carefully because the potential for abuse is so great. I think it is better if every such item is evaluated separately, rebalanced if necessary and released as a unique when the makers are satisfied it will not break current game balance.
"
Aggropop wrote:
This is completely unnecessary. If you want items that have fixed, game changing abilities look no further than uniques. If you want randomized items that can potentially roll insane synergies then rares already do that (seen any insane crit daggers?). what you want (essentially) is stronger rare affixes that have a drawback, but since both the benefit and the drawback are random the possibility exists that the drawback is irrelevant. In that case this new type of item would be clearly superior to vanilla rares and introduce more power creep, which is the last thing this game needs.

Im all for more items with interesting trade offs but such items have to be approached carefully because the potential for abuse is so great. I think it is better if every such item is evaluated separately, rebalanced if necessary and released as a unique when the makers are satisfied it will not break current game balance.

I dont think you read it, I want gaming changing ability on random items. As is now, mostly builds consists of uniques, which detracts from the random loot game that is so appealing to me in arpg and poe.

Why should new build only be made possible each 2-3 weeks when a new set of uniques come. And they will be restricted for a desired build the unique creator made it for. When million of new builds could be done with game chaging random generated uniques.

Which would make every new monster kill exciting for a chance of a completly different item.

Not a crit chance, physical, hybrid, flat phys which rares have become.
IGN: Pumar, Pumam , PumarR , PumaPunch , PumaWander , PumaCleave, PumaSlams
Conceptually here we're talking about adding two affixes that come together each from their own pools of blessings and curses.

So you could have any current rare (6 affix), plus these.

Imagine:

+50% Burning Damage & -5 max cold resists
or
+5 max fire resist & 20% less mana regen
or
+200 mana & -200 health

It's actually hard to say exactly what is truly a curse. "25% physical damage taken converted to chaos damage" might be good for a CI character but bad for most. Converting 10% of life to mana might give different people mixed impressions.

These would be best differentiated from current uniques by picking from their own unique pool of affixes.

My biggest concern is that unqiues might now be left looking even less interesting compared to these.

Therefore, I recommend to release in tandem the ability to add 1 additional affix to any unique , randomly chosen from the current prefix and suffix pools of its parent item, with consideration of it's iLvL.

Likely both would have an extremely rare orb to make the conversion. Here we're really talking about ways to make rares more like uniues and ways to make uniques more like rares.

Last edited by DragonsProphecy on Oct 23, 2014, 1:45:52 PM
I hate to repeat myself and bump this thread but here goes: Game changing abilities cannot be randomly assigned to items, that would mean throwing any semblance of balance out the window. The potential for abuse with multiple such items equipped at once or in combination with current uniques is absolutely insane. I'm not against more game changing items per se, but what you suggest goes against some of the most fundamental game mechanics of poe and is completely unworkable.

^ You just need to balance according.

The point is, as is, the game has become unique only looting game.

Everyone build around uniques, and since they are not random, it becomes boring loot driven game.
Last edited by ropumar on Oct 25, 2014, 4:02:33 PM
"
ropumar wrote:
^ You just need to balance according.

The point is, as is, the game has become unique only looting game.

Everyone build around uniques, and since they are not random, it becomes boring loot driven game.

Then the best solution is too make rares more interesting. Like master crafting.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
bump
As has already been said, this is not possible. The abilities that can be reasonably put on non-unique items already have been via new inherent modifiers attainable with corruption, or via crafting-specific modifiers. The others simply can't be put on randomized items.

What you are looking for are uniques that take their abilities from pools of abilities like Doryani's Invitation. These do exist, and do exist because the staff is able to limit what you have access to, thus not putting stuff together if it shouldn't be.

Finally, randomised drawbacks don't work. There are always builds that don't care about some of the available drawbacks, and some players will be using that. At some point, even without letting players craft them (which would make no sense, considering the way the game is working), you'll have some insane items randomly dropped, and the richest players will be using them.

What you are looking for is having more "special" modifiers available via corruption (inherent modifiers) or master crafting.
Is possible.

And GGG was never against OP items.

But they sure should be against boring loot, which all random generated loot has become.

Expect it from corruption or master craft doesnt fix the loot problem. The reward of arpg loot driven game is finding that OP item from that mob kill.

And GGG needs to bring that again.
"
ropumar wrote:
"
Nurvus wrote:
"
ropumar wrote:
Cause mirror items aren't OP?

Like I said, getting a item OP from the randomness and the very low drop rate, could be equally as hard as find a mirror if GGG wants and implements as so.

It all depends on what GGG would want, and how good they are on balancing it.

The idea is sound.

I guess as long as GGG balances the drop rate well enough, we could also have a skill gem that kills every enemy on screen.

The idea is sound.

Yeah I don't think so either.

What a poor attempt at a counter argument, please try harder next time.
The joke is bad.

It was actually the perfect way to expose the fallacy of your argument.
I imagine it must be hard to swallow denial.

A low drop rate doesn't justify making something OP, because the definition of OP is something that is unbalanced with the rest.
Obviously, if it's balanced with the rest it's not OP.
And if everything's OP, nothing is OP.

Whether you use the term "OP" properly or not is your choice - just don't cry when you're called out on it.

Your argument is "X is OP, so it's okay if we add more OP stuff!"
Mine is "how about we make everything balanced instead?"
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Nov 1, 2014, 8:42:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info