Why would I ever not take Iron Reflexes as Evasion?

"
Amiag wrote:
"
jakab_ wrote:
"
Amiag wrote:
reaching 75% evade takes like 50k flat evasion (wild guess here, but its something on that scale)

are you really arguing that reaching cap block is not easier than that ?

yeah everyone uses block cause block is better period.

75% chance to evade is completely unnecessary. On my Ranger I have around 15k evasion and 55% chance to evade which is more than enough to never get hit combined with Ondar's and Acro.

yeah "never get hit" seems a viable math based conclusion

for the rest as I said evasion is viable in SC, but block is still better, no point arguing this you can check for yourself how many people are using evasion and how many block in HC.

What does block have to do with this? This thread is comparing armour and evasion, block is available as an option to both types of builds.
I think Acrobatics is the keystone where you need to ask 'why wouldn't I take this?' (assuming you're playing a life build). Simply having a bit of Armour is not enough of a reason to turn down the opportunity to dodge 30% of everything. It's only when you have a lot of Armour that losing half of it starts to become a bad deal, and even then, you're trading away some of your protection against physical damage in return for protection against all forms of damage.

Iron Reflexes on the other hand always involves a trade-off. What you get out is proportional to what you put in.

Block is relevant to the discussion, but in an indirect way. Yes, max block/spellblock is very powerful, but it generally takes significant passive investment and/or special items. Builds that don't invest in block for whatever reason have a lot more points free to invest in other defences, including Armour and Evasion. The reason people say 'Evasion works well with block' is because Evasion+Acro gives decent avoidance with very little investment, so you still have the points for it even after you've maxed out on blocking. If you're not using a shield, it might be best to try to get lots of Armour *and* lots of Evasion, which is something that requires more investment to pay off.
Last edited by Incompetent on Sep 3, 2014, 9:28:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info