[1.2.1] Crit Glacial Cascade Build - Cheap & Powerful - 1.3 passive tree added

love this build, instead of taking alchemist. I decided to go with sovereignty give extra mana regenerate and extra damage from herald of ice, other then that i followed same build as yours.Also must say it's a very effective build does lot of damage, had hard time since i don't have have good resist, but that's my fault. i use skeleton as defense and rarely died except for some boss very hard to deal with. i am also trying to find or make a red-blue-green-green socket and link but no luck so don't know how strong i will get with hatred. atm i am lvl 63 and my damage is at 3.5k :S(undergeared). without calculating the damage i get from power charge i found a moon sorrow that boost my damage by 500.
Last edited by ron6405 on Sep 8, 2014, 12:32:42 AM
I am about to hit lvl 79 with this build. I am using a 5L carcass with a Taryns.

My added lightning gem is currently lvl 18. I swapped it out for a lvl 1 concentrated effect gem, and see a 1k dps increase. Is there a reason to use the added lightning gem over concentrated effect? Is it due to shock? How does that work?

My second question is why anger? Converting an amount of our physical damage to cold. It seems like a straight damage boost would be more useful. Maybe im wrong but just curious. Otherwise I am having a blast with this build. Sitting at 10k dps atm. A 6L would drastically improve this build. One can hope!

Thanks for the fun build and for the potential replies in the future :)

ff to add me in game if you wanna have a chat, Feighd (rampage).
"
ncash wrote:
I am about to hit lvl 79 with this build. I am using a 5L carcass with a Taryns.

My added lightning gem is currently lvl 18. I swapped it out for a lvl 1 concentrated effect gem, and see a 1k dps increase. Is there a reason to use the added lightning gem over concentrated effect? Is it due to shock? How does that work?

My second question is why anger? Converting an amount of our physical damage to cold. It seems like a straight damage boost would be more useful. Maybe im wrong but just curious. Otherwise I am having a blast with this build. Sitting at 10k dps atm. A 6L would drastically improve this build. One can hope!

Shock is an elemental status ailment associated with lightning that causes the affected target to take 50% increased damage from all sources. This is going to give you far more damage than a 1k increase.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Shock

I assume you mean 'hatred' rather than anger. The reason is just - more DPS, if you want to run something else instead, go for it.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Last edited by Zeekin on Sep 9, 2014, 3:26:55 AM
"
Zeekin wrote:
"
ncash wrote:

Shock is an elemental status ailment associated with lightning that causes the affected target to take 50% increased damage from all sources. This is going to give you far more damage than a 1k increase.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Shock

I assume you mean 'hatred' rather than anger. The reason is just - more DPS, if you want to run something else instead, go for it.

I guess let me ask the question a different way. Shock increases damage by all sources at 50% 'when a critical strike is performed.' Concentrated effect 'at lvl 1' increases damage by 50%. I can't figure out how, something that is a conditional 50% boost, is better than something that is a permanent 50% boost, which can be raised to 69% at lvl 20.

I guess the question becomes, is the added lightning damage + 50% > +70% with no added lightning damage? If you have any insight into this or can explain to me what I am missing it would be greatly appreciated.

And yes I was referring to 'hatred.'So at lvl 20, we get 40% of our physical damage added as cold damage. Physical damage is 33% of our glacial cascade, so we see a base increase of .33x.40 = .132 increase in dps. Im assuming this would then be modified by our + cold, spell power, elemental bonuses?

My question at this point becomes, would it be more effective for our dps to run wrath for the lightning damage and concentrated effect for the support skill? Or is that increase from hatred just innately greater?

66-102 physical damage lvl 20 glacial cascade = 26.4-40.8 added cold damage with anger.
11-216 lightning damage lvl 20 wrath

if im missing a key component of why wrath + concentrated effect is not superior to added lightning + anger, please fill me in!

-Feighd

Some numbers i just ran. I got a lvl 16 wrath to compare, could not get my hands on an 18 unfortunately.

7330 dps at lvl 16 wrath lvl 18 added lightning damage
8009 dps at lvl 18 hatred lvl 18 added lightning damage
8532 dps at lvl 16 wrath lvl 01 concentrade effect
9551 dps at lvl 18 hatred lvl 01 concentrated effect

just got a lvl 17 conc effect.

7330 dps at lvl 16 wrath lvl 18 added lightning damage
8009 dps at lvl 18 hatred lvl 18 added lightning damage
9716 dps at lvl 16 wrath lvl 17 concentrade effect
10926 dps at lvl 18 hatred lvl 17 concentrated effect

im guessing wrath + conc effect would be best, based off your earlier statement that a 1k increase without lightning damage doesn't mean anything, making wrath + conc superior to hatred + conc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

after further looking at the function of wrath.
it is absolutely not helpful.

9716 dps lvl 17 conc effect
9716 dps lvl lvl 17 conc effect + 16 wrath.

I did not realize it would only add that damage to physical attacks, which apparently does not include glacial cascade.

As of this realization I can once again not decide what is better, (added lightning or conc effect) + hatred.
Last edited by ncash on Sep 9, 2014, 10:45:56 AM
Hello, love this build.
but can you explain why you use hatred. Is the small amouint of cold you will get from the phys in glacial worth it cos of crit?
"
smkbby wrote:
Hello, love this build.
but can you explain why you use hatred. Is the small amouint of cold you will get from the phys in glacial worth it cos of crit?

If you read the post above yours, it goes into it. I was having a lot of issues with this as well. Essentially the main reason is for a dps boost. The other damage aura's do not work with glacial cascade as they require a physical attack to hit. Because cascade does phsyical damage, it will bump your dps.

The alternatives to hatred would be haste for cast speed, or any defensive aura. Anger, wrath, and herald of ash do nothing.
Gteat build what i like verry much. Its the first from my 8 builds i dont die upon merciless vaal. And that only because i only play solo and selffound and had to low lightning res. That now my biggest problem in merciless to max. the res. So i grind for the next time docks. :-)

Its not only a verry nice build its also has a good clearspeed.

The only thing i have problems with are some missions from the assasin master.

But all in all i have much fun.

Thanks

Closing in on 82 now, but starting to struggle with reflect of any kind - Any packs with this pretty much 1 shot me if I don't notice the affix right away. Carcass is 5L now, but with life leech I am still taking a dirt nap.

Not sure what I can do outside of transitioning my pure ES pieces into armor/es for phys reflect. It was suggested that I try to run Arctic Armor for the phys reflect but I don't think the current tree will support the mana requirements. Thoughts?

For ele reflect I am really struggling and need some help with possible gear changes that I can run full time.

My current gear is below, any thoughts on uniques or inexpensive rares I could swap in?
Spoiler

As for people looking for extra dmg, my tooltip with no charges is around 8.5k, and I have zero issues with dmg since crits pretty much 1 shot anything except rare/unique monsters. If anything I would suggest finding ways to increase surival vs reflect to round out the build.
Last edited by Afkfap on Sep 10, 2014, 10:49:01 PM
I am using a saffells and wand for ele reflect maps, and my taryns for all other maps. Phys reflect is no biggie and is generally countered by the life leech gem. Even with the saffells I must got slow. The problem is the big packs. No real way to slow down the dps. I try to pull a few out at a time. Also if you are running cwdt with immortal call, then it will show you when you are doing too much damage. I just attack until it pops, then back off.

I am leveling arctic armor, but I also have a hard time keeping it on due to severe mana issues. The two problems I find with this build are a lack of mana regen and life regen.

To note I am right where you are, half way to 82.
My gear is below if you would like to compare. Its pretty similar.

Spoiler

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info